Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Yep. Steampunk before that was a ‘thing’.

• 28. Safehouse
    Surprisingly not shit genre action thriller with Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington chasing each other and being chased by everyone else for reasons. Better than I expected it to be. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • poprock wrote:
    Yep. Steampunk before that was a ‘thing’.

It's a Junet/Caro film isn't it? Man, they made some belters. Whatever happened to them?

• A quick Google later...

Oh God, Alien Resurrection.
  • Did that sink their career? I mean, it should have …
  • Jeunet made Amelié. Caro didn’t.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Well Jeunet kept going initially quite strongly (although far less darkly) with Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Micmacs, and T. S. Spivet, although the quality is definitely tailing off... Not seen anything from Caro.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Amelie is lovely
  • poprock wrote:
    Did that sink their career? I mean, it should have …

I never thought Alien Resurrection was as bad as all that.
    I mean it isnt anywhere near the standards of Alien or Aliens but its not an awful film in general without those comparisons.
    Look at what we have had since and its the franchise thats the problem, its done. Even Scott can't make a good movie based in that world.
  • Aye, Alien Resurrection was fine.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Agree, I didn't watch it until 2010ish because all reports seemed to suggest an utter turd, but it was a lot better than plenty of other franchise sequels that spring to mind. Fuck you, Secret of the Ooze.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Hateful movie IMO.

Yeah, it's gross.

I think it was Nerdwriter (yeah, kinda gross too) who did a video about re-editing it so that it was from her perspective not knowing that he brought her out. It would have been a much better film. Could have been a good thriller type thing.
  • 25. Godzilla vs Kong
    Complete and utter nonsense but it knows it and just goes with it 110%. Still too much human stuff really but the nonsense makes it entertaining. Pure big-screen cinema stuff. Got to see it at IMAX and it was loud and colourful and explosions. I loved it, put a big dumb smile on my face right when I needed it.
    [8]
  • Oooh, lucky so and so for getting to see on iMac. I’m guessing we will get it as paid for on a streaming service.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    25. Godzilla vs Kong Complete and utter nonsense but it knows it and just goes with it 110%. Still too much human stuff really but the nonsense makes it entertaining. Pure big-screen cinema stuff. Got to see it at IMAX and it was loud and colourful and explosions. I loved it, put a big dumb smile on my face right when I needed it. [8]

I so want to see this.

Watched Passengers just before it disappears off Prime. Glad I did. Good old sci-fi yarn which poses a very good question. I would imagine the scenario wouldn't arise as I naively believe we would have contingencies for the situation - but - it's a good 'un nevertheless.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We were just talking about that. Was it in the other movie thread? Passengers is creepy at its core. Unpleasant.
  • poprock wrote:
    We were just talking about that. Was it in the other movie thread? Passengers is creepy at its core. Unpleasant.

It was in this one, just a few posts back :

Tempy wrote:
    Hateful movie IMO.

Yeah, it's gross.

I think it was Nerdwriter (yeah, kinda gross too) who did a video about re-editing it so that it was from her perspective not knowing that he brought her out. It would have been a much better film. Could have been a good thriller type thing.

• Ahh, thanks 10p. My short-term memory’s shot at the moment.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's Hollywood - so it took the Hollywood path. There's a pile of interesting ones that could have been taken but I doubt it would test well. :/

It poses an interesting question. What would one do? Leaving suicide aside makes it more interesting. Would you only wake one up? Would it be the opposite gender? Would you tell them? If >1 how many? What m/f ratio? etc.

The risk of going insane could end up with multi-wakeups anyhow - or something worse. Was an interesting scenario and could make for an interesting tale if it was made outside mainstream.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's Hollywood - so it took the Hollywood path. There's a pile of interesting ones that could have been taken but I doubt it would test well. :/ It poses an interesting question. What would one do? Leaving suicide aside makes it more interesting. Would you only wake one up? Would it be the opposite gender? Would you tell them? If >1 how many? What m/f ratio? etc. The risk of going insane could end up with multi-wakeups anyhow - or something worse. Was an interesting scenario and could make for an interesting tale if it was made outside mainstream.

Agreed.
  • All fair points, but the movie actually made was was Stalking and Gaslighting in Space, with the villain depicted as a sympathetic good guy hero for incels everywhere to emulate.
  • It would be a very different film if instead of Chris Pratt's character looking like this...
    OCMdCma.jpg

he looked more like this...
    eBxQNZ0.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Also Jennifer Lawrence's character is 14 years old.

I'm picturing a whole different third act now.  It's like Alien but instead of the Zenomorph it's Woody Allen.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I'm sure I've seen a load of movies with that theme but can't think what they are.
    10 Cloverfield Lane is the only one that comes to mind.
  • Molly's Game
    I watched this last night. Other than the Netflix blurb I had no idea what this was, I wasn't even really aware it existed if I'm honest.
    Really good film though, Chastain and Elba were excellent.
  • Yeah, I liked Molly’s Game. Very much a typical Sorkin dialogue-fest but I’m okay with that.
  • Yeah, it suited the movie.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I'm sure I've seen a load of movies with that theme but can't think what they are. 10 Cloverfield Lane is the only one that comes to mind.
    So far I've come up with:
    Room
    Misery
    King Kong
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Beauty and the Beast
    Phantom of the Opera
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm not sure I see Passengers in that way. I certainly thought to myself that waking up a female was wrong though - unless she was a crack engineer or something like that.

And actually - picking someone who looked like Chris Pratt but behaved as a creepy cunt would be another interesting avenue. But no. We didn't get that.

I didn't realise that JLaw's character was 14....are we sure about that? If that's right then we are down a different road altogether and I don't see that being the case here.

Have I really misread the film? I took it as quite fluffy due to the decisions made by the scriptwriter(s).

Was anyone uncomfortable with the relationship in Leon then?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Molly's Game
    I watched this last night. Other than the Netflix blurb I had no idea what this was, I wasn't even really aware it existed if I'm honest.
    Really good film though, Chastain and Elba were excellent.

Chastain you say? Will watch the weekend.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!