Movie record 2020 edition
  • 37. Enola Holmes
    Millie Bobby Brown is great in this amusing, charming and fun adventure that's a little too long but doesn't outstay it's welcome. (7)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • g.man wrote:
    148. The Crazies remake I heard this was good. It really wasn't. Timothy Oliphant almost does enough to carry this but doesn't. [4]
    I thought Carriers, from about the same time period was the much better film. Probably a grim watch in current times tho...

Will check it out! Can't be any worse than Crazies.
  • 149. Spies in Disguise
    Some stunning animation and CG tech is wasted on a very average and cliched story. The best stuff is the pigeon slapstick, which is excellent, but there is not enough of it.
    [5]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    37. Enola Holmes
    Millie Bobby Brown is great in this amusing, charming and fun adventure that's a little too long but doesn't outstay it's welcome. (7)

Flora found it quite dull and she is prime Cavill kryptonite (good double meaning there) (that's not a pun BTW learn what a pun is)
  • Is it like a limerick?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A pun is a joke which has Outrun its welcome.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    she is prime Cavill kryptonite

Flora is Cavill’s only weakness?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, I think she's all that remains of his home planet.
  • Ah, that makes more sense.
  • Reg isn't allowed to run really fast while she is in the bath.

Speaking of, The Snyder Cut is having reshoots and will now have a budget of $70mil on it's own.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The released version must be really bad if they're letting Snyder have another go. The guy is kryptonite to cinema (BTW learn what a metaphor is).
  • Duplicity
    Corporate espionage romcom with Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, and absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. Great soundtrack though.
  • 150. Enola Holmes
    One of those movies that you enjoy enough during but then after think about all the stuff you didn't really like about it. Shame they didn't pinch the wit of Fleabag as well as the 4th wall breaking stuff.
    [5]

151. The Brothers Bloom
    I was enjoying it for a bit but then I got really really bored halfway through. Con movies need to hold your attention and keep the twists and turns coming. Also the half-assed Wes Anderson style was pretty rubbish.
    [3]

152. Twister
    "He's not in it for the science, he's in it for the money!". Ah, what a cast delivering such schlocky lines. A classic.
    [7]
  • I love Twister.
    I think its because it was one of the rides when I went to Universal Studios and I have a fondness for most films that had a ride back then, good memories.

Also some woman flashed her boobs accidentally on Twister because of the wind machines blowing her top up.
  • 151. Hatari - 8
    By far my favourite non-western John Wayne movie. Portrays a group of professional game catchers in Africa, never seen anything else quite like it.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Batman Returns still a great version of the Bat. And Michelle is obviously hot as hell, though as Selina rather than as Catwoman. Some of the action hasn’t aged that well (mainly anything to do with the Batmobile), but the sets and actors are all top notch. Walken and DeVito are spot on as the villains. It always feels a bit tragedy in that I still want Selina to make a different decision at the end. [8]
  • 135. Zombieland
    Rewatched as a prelude to the sequel. Less fresh than first time round obvs but still good, wholesome zed slaying fun with Woody, Jesse and a (rubs thighs) fresh faced Emma Stone. 8

136. Zombieland: Double Tap
    Very entertaining and as equally fun sequel. More Woody, Jesse playing Jesse and an (rubs thighs) older, more saucer eyed Emma Stone. Some great cameos too. 8

137. A Nightmare on Elm Street
    The OG, Wes still brings the chills, and Freddy still delivers the kills. Tina's ceiling death scene still a horror standard, great practical effects, they literally don't make them like they used to. 8

138. The Gentlemen
    A decent Guy Ritchie flick, which almost feels like damning with faint praise, but it's a typical yet superior Ritchie yarn. Some strong performances all round, Colin Farrell a stand out. Not deep or particularly clever but good entertainment.  7

139. Misery
    Turbo nutjob no.1 fan Kathy Bates puts the hammer down with a great turn as she nurses stricken author James Caan back to 'health'. Superior King adaptation. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jaws haven’t seen this in a while and when I’ve watched it, it’s usually been on TV or at best VHS. Watching it now in 4K HDR and it is an amazingly timeless film. Because it doesn’t need modern trappings and because some of the fashion of the time isn’t OTT, it doesn’t even feel like a 70’s film (apart from the liberal dope use in the opening scene). Apart from the odd interior scene with a lot of film grain, the picture is impeccable. The cast are all great and the story is perfect. Ignore any sequels. Not needed [10]
  • 38. RED
    Retired superspies foil conspiracy in average action comedy with Malkovich the stand out turn. (6)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Red was ok I found Willis creepy dirty old man in it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Red was ok I found Willis creepy dirty old man in it.

Yeah, there's a few scenes that haven't aged well.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Jaws haven’t seen this in a while and when I’ve watched it, it’s usually been on TV or at best VHS. Watching it now in 4K HDR and it is an amazingly timeless film. Because it doesn’t need modern trappings and because some of the fashion of the time isn’t OTT, it doesn’t even if feel like a 70’s film (apart from the liberal dope use in the opening scene). Apart from the odd interior scene with a lot of film grain, the picture is impeccable. The cast are all great and the story is perfect. Ignore any sequels. Not needed [10]

It's perfect. I love every second of it. I can still do the whole of Quints monologue about delivering the Hiroshima bomb. It's brilliant
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Some top class shark shots too, clever angles that show you the size of it without giving too much away. Always love the bit where you see it gliding in to get the guy helping the kids in the side ocean pond area.
    Also that oner going across the ferry and the family dinner stuff showed Spielberg's talent as a filmmaker and storyteller.

It's stuff that other filmmakers just haven't been able to come close to apart from maybe Deep Blue Sea which has some similarly sinister and effective shark stuff.
    Was such a shame that The Meg folks didn't know what to do with the shark because the rest of that film is quite fun and funny but it never seemed to give much thought on how to fully maximise the threat of a giant shark and show that on screen.
  • Yea I remember feeling quite disappointed with The Meg. I felt it let so much potential go by.
    Then Jason Statham jumps in the water and stabs the Megalodon in the eye and I cheered
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I saw it at IMAX and had a much better time than I ever really expected to. Was just a bit disappointed with the lack of imagination with showing the shark
  • 140. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
    Freddy returns after his defeat to Nancy and possesses a fresh faced Jesse so he can wreak more terror on Elm Street. I was unaware there was this fabled homoerotic subtext running through this when I last watched many years ago but after this rewatch I can see how much it pervades the screen. The pre kill shower spanking a highlight. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 66. The Peanut Butter Falcon - 2 Oct
    Pretty standard and cliched, but well executed. I didn’t hate LeBeouf so that must mean something.
    [7]

67. The Life of Oharu - 3 Oct
    Beautifully shot and choreographed sad tale of a woman suffering injustice at the hands of a male-dominated and socially divided society. Amazing. Almost a 10.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 153. Salem's Lot
    Not bad for a TV thing but apart from the window stuff the rest is a little bit too clunky to really enjoy.
    [5]

I looked up Hooper's imdb after watching this and boy howdy has he made some clunkers. This seems to be the last thing he did that was reviewed okay. I guess you just have to make one and a half good films to be remembered as a horror icon. Maybe he should have done more double team stuff with Spielberg, that came out good.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is that the old 80s one? That scared the shit out of me as a kid. I shouldn't have been watching it, of  course.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!