Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you liked Flashback you will enjoy Blackthorne. There is a more to it as far as I remember.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Alien 3 (SNES)

Genuinely terrible not good.

This one is almost half decent, so much so it's a real shame it's not.

The graphics have aged very well imo, and aside from the awkward jumping animation it's not far off Flashback levels of fluidity. The backgrounds are top notch to, it's league's better than the Mega Drive game.

The open structure of the levels is a decent idea and adds a decent amount of variety, but ultimately It's a bit to convoluted for its own good.

Like the Mega Drive game the controls are just a bit to stiff. It's not as bad as the Mega Drive game and coming off the back of that it almost feels good, but in reality it's far worse than many of its contemporaries.

This is one of the first times I feel the CVG High Five rating system I've adopted for this thread can't do the game justice.

It's one I want to like more than I do, a 2 feels harsh but a 3 would be far to generous.

2/5

My Reviews

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Working through a list of snes games on wikipedia looking for suggestions, anyone fancy of these for our next?

First Samurai

Hagane

True Lies

Wild Guns

Kept it snes as that's my easiest access, will sort out a MD emu at some point.
  • I'd be up for any of those, Hagane especially but I think some have played through it in here. I played Wild Guns fairly recently but could do again, would be my last choice from that lot though, great as it is.
  • I'll be up for First Samurai or True Lies, I've played the other two though.

Both excellent games, I'll be happy if any of you want to play one of those. I'll chip in with the discussion, but won't play myself.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • On a side note I do love a bit of SNESdrunk
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • First Samurai of True Lies it is, would prefer it something we can all take part in.

Maybe True Lies? Keep it a 90s film double bill, then next time it's my pick I'll go First Samurai.

On a side note of my own, do you have a link to a decent snes mini hack guide, retro? Or is it as easy as googling the question?
  • Tossed a coin, True Lies it is
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think Hagane was done here before. I had the cart but sold it.......

Had First Samuarai too - it started off nice but I remember it having tech issues in later levels with a lot of flicker etc... seemed fun though.
  • nick_md wrote:
    On a side note of my own, do you have a link to a decent snes mini hack guide, retro? Or is it as easy as googling the question?

https://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-add-more-games-to-snes-classic-mini/
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That mostly worked - just can't seem to get boxart to auto fill, and the google images option doesn't seem to work, will need to manually add.

Last question - does anyone have a reliable rom source? Looking for TL atm and can't find anything that isn't an exe or a spam site.
  • nick_md wrote:
    does anyone have a reliable rom source?

https://the-eye.eu/public/rom/
    https://www.retrostic.com/roms
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nick_md wrote:
    That mostly worked - just can't seem to get boxart to auto fill, and the google images option doesn't seem to work, will need to manually add.

What version of Hakchi you got?

Have you tried right clicking and selecting > scrape selected games?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm using Hakchi2 and yeah, tried the right-click method on the file names, progress bar comes up but 'failed to find' for every game. The try a google image search and the pop-up is just empty white, doing nothing.

Not the end of the world because the games work fine, just would be nice.

Is there a more recent version of Hakchi? I think I saw a v3 but all guides were using 2 so I went with tried-and-tested.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ah what a fuckin game
  • If you want to add more systems or a SNES ROM doesn't work on the stock emulator, click the Modules tab at the top and select KMFD's mod hub.

Then click KMFD cores and add away, it should be easy enough to figure out from there.

Games up to PSone should run fine, although I can't vouch for how it'll look on the UI because I've only added games from the console of origin to my mini consoles. 

Bit silly I know, but it makes them look and feel all the more authentic and I really like using original pads with each system.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nick_md wrote:
    Is there a more recent version of Hakchi?

I'm on v3.8.0 so it might be because your on an old version. I'm pretty sure you can update within Hakchi if you wanted to.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'll give that a try after work, ta
  • davyK wrote:
    I think Hagane was done here before. I had the cart but sold it....... Had First Samuarai too - it started off nice but I remember it having tech issues in later levels with a lot of flicker etc... seemed fun though.

We did, I liked it.

I played First Samurai for about 15 mins a while back, seemed ok. There's a Mega Drive game called Second Samurai that is absolutely terrible. I assume it's a sequel but they feel very different.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Super Spike Volleyball = best ever vg volleyball memories :)

Played a lot of this at uni - surprisingly good vb game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS5Iy2Uhuhs
  • Latest version worked a charm, box art all sorted.
  • Nice.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Lolol Super Spike Volleyball
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gamecube got Beach Spikers - looks great. I haven't played it a huge amount but I remember it was a great slice of arcadey amusement.
  • Done the first 3 levels of True Lies, it's ok.

I think after The Terminator games, Last Action Hero, Cliffhanger etc etc, that expectations were so low for this that it's made an ok game seem better than it is.

Don't get me wrong it's by no means bad, and I've enjoyed it enough so far to see it through, but there's better games of this type from the 16-Bit era.

Worth a play but maybe not one to keep.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I had similar thoughts on the two levels I did the other day, it's good enough but doesn't excel.

My main gripe was the control with shooting - it feels very 'sticky' or clunky, I don't feel the fixed-aim button really helps and I was always having to take care lining up shots, when I'd prefer a looser shooting that I could have more movement with. Plus the way there's no auto-switch weapon when you run out of ammo fucked me a couple of times.

But, like you say, by no means bad, I'm having fun and will go through a few more levels for sure. I also found the shotgun pretty satisfying to use.

More hot takes pending.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I propose going straight to the top drawer...

7W98N30.jpg

I never finished this bugger in the 90s...I fancy dealing with that.
  • Was on my list to suggest but I figured it must've been done already - was one of my top few favourites on the system, absolutely loved it. Would definitely revisit (think I put it on the mini the other day).

The Pal version had a suicide cut from it, I believe.

I also doubt I clocked it in the day although I definitely remember getting very far. Great game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!