Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I totally missed that response.

I'm well up for Mr. Gimmick if Moot can sort his end out.

• Completed Buster Bros. Will post thoughts tomorrow but it's pretty good.
  • I put some time in last weekend, will do more tomorrow then post thoughts.

Sort your Gimmick out you shit.
  • What version of Buster Bros did you both play?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So gave the SNES version a bash last night.

I got to world 16, which is Germany on the world map. If the whole game is that map then it's quite a short game as I must have got 1/3 to 1/2 way through in roughly half hour. Quite tough though, so getting good will take the time.

Gonna try the PlayStation version over the weekend and decide what one to stick with.

Played a bit of the PS version last week which is basically arcade perfect ports or maybe even straight emulation.

Turns out the SNES version isn't an arcade port and actually has some exclusive level layouts along with arranged arcade and arcade perfect ones.

Makes it a bit of a unique entry in the series instead of the inferior port I was lead to believe.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SNES version here, will play some more later today and post thoughts, been distracted by Blaze Fielding.
  • SNES version too. Played on easy to get a feel for it bit by the later stages I realised switching normal would probably be too much without save states. It's pretty tough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Pang gets stupid fast if you crank the difficulty level up.

I always thought they had it one player only to keep the speed up ....not sure that was the reason after trying that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Super Buster Bros - SNES

Always enjoyed two player Pang on my mate's Amiga in the early 90s, but assumed a ball bounce puzzler where you control the character would've aged pretty horribly.  Turns out I was wrong, it's stood the test of time pretty well.  It's fairly simplistic in the Bubble Bobble one screen mould. with various puzzle patterns that require planning by the back half of the game.  Plans go awry and it plays well when you're readjusting in a flap.  For what it is, which isn't quite my cup of tea, it's very good.  I played on Easy and was glad to have save states by the end, so I'd imagine Normal mode would be well beyond my patience threshold.  Loses a few points for a bizarre lack of two player mode on SNES, which is near Final Fight levels of crying shame.  84%
  • Not relevant, but I've been trying to remember the name of the other Amiga game I used to play in two player and it's just come to me - Rodland.
  • Super Buster Bros. (Arcade) VS. Super Buster Bros. (SNES)

There's really not much to say about this. It's perfect for what it is and a great co-op game to boot.

The only problem with the collection on PlayStation is it's just the arcade game, which is to say it's tough as nails and has no home console sensibilities such as saves or passwords.

Obviously I had the luxury of save states and without them this would have been high on impossible. It's one thing to complete a level after 20 consecutive tries, but quite another to restart and get back to said level and complete it with however many lives you may have left.

Enter the SNES version. After finding out about the PS collection I pretty much dismissed this. How wrong I was to do so.

Instead of a straight port the game has some arcade perfect levels, some arranged arcade levels that are made slightly easier, and exclusive levels. This alone makes it more of a companion title than a poor port.

But what the game gets right like many home ports of arcade games did, is adjusting the difficulty.

Arcade games by nature as we all know were designed to be quarter munchers. The SNES game is still tough, but it's just easier enough to make it more manageable and fun.

If I'd owned both of these when they were contemporary, I could have seen myself completing the SNES game but giving up on the arcade version on the PS collection.

With that being said before I make a FINAL decision in this FIGHT, there's one unfortunate omission from the SNES game... co-op.

It really is a shame. We all know about the systems slow processor and as an early title it might have proved to difficult to get it running without to much slow down. If only it had come out a year or so later, I'm sure the developers would have had the experience to get around it.

Arcade - 4/5
    SNES - 4/5

Arcade unsurprisingly wins, but not by the massacre I expected.

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've watched all the Alien films recently.

Anyone fancy another 16-Bit head to head with Alien 3?

I picked up the Master System version in a bargain bin around 94, that's all I've played it but always fancied the bigger versions.

Alien 3 is one of the few games I know of that came out on both Sega and Nintendo 16-Bit, 8-Bit and handheld consoles. Not sure how many other games came out on all 6 of the consoles that donned the cover of the legendary Mean Machines.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I could give them another go. The MD version gradually reveals itself to be quite boring/irritating unfortunately, but it looks/sounds the part (and has a very satisfying pulse rifle). Never played the SNES one.
  • Just realised you said 16-bit only. Still up for it but I'll prob try the MS one again too.
  • I won’t bother reposting my brief pang thoughts from the 52 games thread. Solid game though.

I’m happy to do the Alien 3s. I had the MD one. I think it gets a bit samey and don’t know if I ever completed it. The weapons are nice and meaty iirc. Firing that grenade launcher into xenomorph skull is pretty good. I had the SNES one on pirate a few years later but I don’t think I got very far into it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The SNES game was highly regarded when it came out. I had the cartridge for ages but never spent much time with it. Was a clearout casualty.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Megadrive version of this has aged terribly, moreso than most previously good things that spring to mind. It was never great, but it was better than a lot of alternatives at the time. It's kinda hideous to play now though, the controls aren't sharp enough to react in time to the constant AHA! Alien placements (weapon delay may be caused by emulation but I doubt it), and even with save states it's irritating. Music is still good, it looks nice and the sound effects are top tier, but it's piss really. Hostage saving isn't usually my cup of tea for a format, especially with strict time restrictions. No-one enjoys collecting all but one of something amd watching the timer tick down these days surely.
  • I done the first level.

It's pretty terrible.

I'd go as far to say I prefer the MS version, as it's a bit slower and cleaner looking.

It's a good looking MS game against a below average MD one. The latter obviously looks better but the MS one is more impressive if that makes sense.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • MS version seems to be a half arsed port in some ways but it's not bad looking. The layout for the first stage is roughly the same and the bleeps/bloops are doing the same tunes, so it's a reasonable attempt at little brother edition. It's equally crap these days but at least it gets a pass for being 8-bit. Will try the SNES game shortly but I don't think I can push through either of the Sega games to completion.
  • Had both Mega Drive and SNES Alien 3 games growing up.

SNES is way better in every way, and it has the "Game over man!" clip when you die.
  • I either rented or borrowed the MD one. Can't remember if I finished it but I definitely played a chunk of it. Was one of the flashier looking games on a Mean Machines Sega (or possibly Official Sega Mag) covermount VHS vids iirc. The music to the opening stage is etched into my brain and I doubt that's from playing it for a week, I probably watched those videos over fifty times each.

SNES game seems to be a bit Super Metroidy in comparison, certainly not as linear as the MD effort anyway. Not at all keen on the jump but weapons assigned to buttons is welcome.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shit I just saw what's being run for retro club and GODDAM I love Alien 3. What an amazing and intense title and now I need to find a rom figure out a legal way to play it.

There was a real beautiful animation to it, and everything, I remember ladders especially, felt very fluid - as did the fire mechanics.
    If you're finished with it and want more of *waves arms* that, then I seem to remember a videogame based on the show Pantom 2048 (like Billy Zanes the Phantom but in 2048) that I got one year for my birthday, and it was a great ladder-em-up adventure and now I'm off on a tangent for my youth why am I packing up my SNES :(
  • GG/MS Alien3 was okayish.
    I remember it even featuring a bit of parallax scrolling (it's like battletoads!) which was a rarity for 8bit. It was developed by probe software which meant competent but not flashy. Looks okayish but hasn't aged as well as other 8-bit classics. It's no gg shinobi that's for sure.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I don't think I can push through either of the Sega games to completion.

Me neither.

I played the SNES game for 30mins, it's definitely the better of the two.

Every version I've played suffers from Ripley being to close to the edge of the screen giving you even less time to react to the already faster enemies.

I hate that in games, the character should be dead centre when scrolling.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was playing something recently that suffered from the near the edge of the screen thing. Can't remember what it was off-hand but it was a modern 2D game.

The Phantom game reg mentioned has caught my eye a few times but I can't remember playing it. Did we try that one on a pile of carts day retro? Pirates of Dark Water was another one I liked the look of in mags but I'm not sure if I've played it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Phantom game reg mentioned had caught my eye a few times but I can't remember playing it. Did we try that one on a pile of carts day retro?

No we didn't. It's a metroidvania from what I've heard, meant to be decent.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Pirates of Dark Water was another one I liked the look of in mags but I'm not sure if I've played it.

Very different game on MD and SNES.

MD one is more of an action platformer, not sure how linear it is.

SNES game was a decent scrolling beat em up by all accounts.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Pretty sure we tried the SNES one at yours.
  • You might be thinking of X-Kaliber 2097, I had that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Possibly. I doubt we were [taps mic] drinking Kaliber.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!