Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Yeah pick away retro I'm ready.
  • I got 242 games on my Mini consoles unplayed/not completed, but here's a few suggestions for our next game:

32X:
    Knuckles' Chaotix

Master System:
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
    Master of Darkness - Casltevania rip off/homage

Mega Drive:
    Caliber .50 - run and gun like Mercs 
    Ristar

NES:
    Journey to Silius - started life as a Terminator game until they lost the license. Also on the Switch online NES app if that helps anyone.
    Mr. Gimmick - late highly regarded platformer that no one played. Plenty of youtube vids that sing its praises.

SNES:
    Ninja Warriors - had an indie sequel recently
    Super Buster Bros - look on youtube, looks interesting imo
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm interested in Ninja Warriors but I thought the indie thing was more of an upgrade than a sequel, Wild Guns style? If it's an entirely different game I'd be well up for that, if it's the same game rejigged I'd get the new one as I'd like to play the best version possible.

We did Ristar in here before I think, unless I went off piste?

Caliber.50 would probably get my vote, but I'd play any of the rest I reckon.
  • I can do anyone of those except Knuckles. I did the first three / four Sonic games last year and I've had my fill of them for the time being. Especially as Chaotix looks like a mess. Apart from that, don't mind. Mr Gimmick looks interesting. 
    Super Buster Bros appears to be a renamed Pang which I'm always up for.
  • オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • R-type II (Arcade)

I played this on the Dimensions collection, which is the definitive versions of I & II afaik. It has updated graphics which you can change to the original on the fly which is always really nice.

I've always found R-Type incredibly hard, I don't think I'm particularly good at 2D shoot 'em ups, but I completed a few on NES and Mega Drive back in the day so I'm not completely useless at the genre.

I'm not sure if it's me or if it's generally regarded as one of the tougher shoot 'em ups. In all honesty I find it to hard to get much enjoyment out of.

A harsh score then for an entry in a legendary series, but I could easily name 20 other shoot 'em ups I'd rather play over this, including the much improved R-type Delta imo.

2/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Cool, lets go for that next.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wait, I have a problem. I haven't got Gimmick/Mr. Gimmick on my retro pie and I've never successfully put any new roms on it myself.

I do have Ristar, Caliber 50, Journey to Silius, Alex Kidd, Master of Darkness and Super Buster Bros though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Bust Bros is aka Super Pang?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Any of those are fine with me.
  • davyK wrote:
    Yeah looks like it.
  • Sparkster - Megadrive 

Finished this today.  I thought it was awful at first but it soon won me over.  It's no RKA (very few 16-bit games are) and while it's clearly a downgrade overall it's still a pretty good game.  Visually there's nowhere near as much spit and polish as Megadrive owners had the right to expect based on the likes of Tiny Toons, Castlevania Bloodlines etc.  It's all a wee bit budget for 1994 really (bear in mind Dynamite Headdy/Pulseman were doing the rounds on MD in the same year), but some sections look nice enough. Things moved far quicker at the time though, so I'd say if this had been released in early '93 it would've been given a bit more leeway as a looker.

Level design was fine, nothing particularly worthy of praise perhaps, but there are a few neat ideas as expected from Konami.  The jetpack means bosses are mostly pretty good though, staying airborne for the the first boss was the point where I realised it was actually a decent game.  The sword takes too long to swing for my liking though - a quicker attack would've been preferable.  Music is okay, functional for the most part but with one or two noteworthy ditties.  

81% with my 1994 head on for Sparkster, but like most merely 'good' platformers from the era that equates to something far more miserly in modern money tbh.

I didn't get to play SNES Sparkster as that ROM is missing from my collection too, but I watched a Youtube walkthrough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Yeah looks like it.

Splendid game then.
  • Do you want to change it to that if you haven't got Mr Gimmick @Moot_Geeza ?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Saves me messing around with sideloading etc so I'll change it if that's cool
  • Yeah cool with me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Two modes - World Tour which has light puzzle elements and Panic which is an out and out shooty game.
  • Pang motherfuckers! Haven’t played this in years.
  • Yup, haven't played since two player on a mate's Amiga in 1992ish.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Snes is single player only which is a real pity. Early release cause of that I expect.
  • Been looking the series up.

Pang/Buster Bros was the one that appeared on Amiga and other computers of the era.

Super Pang/Buster Bros was a SNES exclusive outside of the arcade.

Pang 3 never left the arcade.

There's a Pang/Buster Bros collection on PS and PSP that has all three of the above, so that might be the best version to get.

After that there was:

Mighty Pang - Arcade

Pang: Magical Michael - DS, which unfortunatley doesn't take advantage of the extra top screen.

Pang Adventure - PS4/XOne, which unfortunatley doesn't take advantage of widescreen displays and looks like a cheap phone game :-(

Will check out the SNES and PlayStation versions tomorrow and report back.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Its a solid game on snes. Ive hard the cart for years and its a keeper.
  • Pang Adventures is on Switch too, currently £2ish. I'm not keen on the look either, but I might give it a go as a comparison to the SNES game.
  • Bug Butcher is another recent indie effort that iterates on the pang template. Haven't bought it yet but it's been in and ouT of my PSN basket numerous times. Would post a trailer but I'm on my phone.
  • So gave the SNES version a bash last night.

I got to world 16, which is Germany on the world map. If the whole game is that map then it's quite a short game as I must have got 1/3 to 1/2 way through in roughly half hour. Quite tough though, so getting good will take the time.

Gonna try the PlayStation version over the weekend and decide what one to stick with.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What emu are you all using? I just tried my go to, zsnes, but it doesn't seem to work on w10.
  • Grabbed snes9x, seems to work
  • I'm trying to remember a NES game I saw on youtube a little while back, can't find the video in my history for some reason and I'm sure I didn't imagine it - it's a game where you're a young girl's cuddly toy and her other toys kidnap her out of jealousy (you're her favourite), you then set off to rescue her. The game itself is a platformer and the main mechanic is you can bounce a ball/bubble (I think) to jump off. Any ideas?
  • Mr Gimmick.

It's meant to be really good.

We talked about it breifly a few posts up. We was gonna do that but moot didn't have the ROM so we went for Super Buster Bros instead.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!