Movie record 2020 edition
  • Yeah, I didn't get that one at all. Rubbish.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I just think he thinks he's writing clever stuff like a Tarantino or Wes Anderson et al but then he has no visual flair or ability to translate that into interesting performances from his actors. He seems to bank on the violence getting people to watch his stuff to see that bit that is gross which, tbh, is kinda why I watched some of his stuff.

In Concrete I didn't understand
    Spoiler:
  • I think there's more than a touch of Verhoven about him too. The Tarantino similarities are there, both make films that favour an 'absolutely positively' style of overwritten dialogue. It's a fine line between 'does he know he's doing this?' and 'ahh, he knows he's doing this', but it was the wonky gore at the end of Brawl on Cell Block that made me try to watch his films with the benefit of the doubt. Clint Eastwood made a more believable looking head in Alcatraz; it's supposed to be a laugh out loud moment (at least that's how I've decided to take it).
    Spoiler:

Okay, so maybe it's a bit odd that I've started watching his films thinking almost all of the bits that could be described as a bit shit are actually great, but it's working for me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's a good point about visual flair Shabby. One of my major criticisms of Tomahawk was that it felt like it was filmed on a TV set. Even the outdoor shots felt like a set.
  • 9. 1917. Don't know why they couldn't just call it quarter past seven like everyone else. Good film though, well worth seeing at the cinema on the nice seats with the extra big screen.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • That's a good point about visual flair Shabby. One of my major criticisms of Tomahawk was that it felt like it was filmed on a TV set. Even the outdoor shots felt like a set.

Yeah that's what I thought too. There were quite a few scenes where it didn't seem like he's given much thought about blocking or camera placement and that combined with generally flat cinematography kinda made it look bland.

And Moot, maybe I'm not quite seeing some of those moment as black comedy so perhaps that's why it doesn't work for me. I'm still glad there's someone that isn't just making the usual Hollywood stuff though.
  • 13. 8 Mile
    Eminem turns in decent self performance in this semi autobiographical rap tale. ***
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Slowly catching up on some of the films that made several best of 2019 lists.

Hustlers
    Enjoyable true story about a group of strippers, led by Jennifer Lopez in great form, who turn to drugging and scamming their wealthy Wall St clients after the 2008 financial crash. Surprising lack of stripping, but it does a great job of conjuring up a vision of the era, and I really enjoyed the chemistry on show.

Dolemite is My Name
    Brilliant proto-biopic of blaxploitation director and star Rudy Ray Moore, with Eddie Murphy putting in his best performance in as long as I can remember. As a film about the making of a film, and the journey of the man behind it, it has a huge amount in common with Ed Wood. Absolutely hilarious, amazing production design and a soundtrack packed with funk and soul.

Between J-Lo, Murphy, and Sandler, this has been a great year for comebacks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You missed Snipes' come back (also in Dolomite). I thought he was excellent.
  • That's true, bad of me not to give him a shout out. He becomes the best thing in the film for around half an hour.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    8. 1917
    Stunning film that thankfully doesn't just rely on its good looks. Gripping from start to finish and the intimate nature of following the main characters exclusively only heightens that. The sequence in the town lit by flares is incredible.

9. A Clockwork Orange
    First time watching this and it didn't disappoint. Dystopian visions somehow seem to age better and there's still some shocking and impactful moments, the brainwashing scenes very uncomfortable to watch despite the imagery being so prevalent in pop culture. That Kubrick is pretty good, eh?

10. American Hardcore
    Solid doc about the rise of the hardcore punk movement in the early 80s. Plenty of great footage from shows and interviews with almost all the major players. Would've preferred a more in-depth view on some areas but it's certainly a must for anyone into the music.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    8. Spies in Disguise

Reasonably enjoyable if relatively unmemorable animated spy spoof. One for the pigeon fanciers.

[6]

9. Cats

Nonsensically weird yet oddly compelling musical extravaganza featuring a mixed bag of songs.

[5]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    19.  For Sama - Documentary which manages to find hope, even beauty, amid the relentless horror of an Aleppo hospital.  It's on All4 here.  [8]

20.  Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend is the obvious standout and the other numbers drag in comparison.  Between songs, it's a real fun time thanks to an acid-tongued Jane Russel and Marilyn being Marilyn.  [7]

21.  Blackhat - I guess it's tough to make hacking stuff interesting.  It's Mann so at least it's easy on the eye.  [3]

22.  What Did Jack Do? - The continuing adventures of Gordon Cole.  Lynch having fun trading noir speak with a monkey and it's exactly as amusing and hypnotic as that sounds.  [7]

23.  The Body Remembers When The World Broke Open - Does a lot with a little, even if much of the subtext is lost on my ignorant melon.  Still find the long (one?) shots distracting.  [7]
  • Film no 24 today, yeah?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Well if the mood takes me I might watch Collateral despite not really liking Thief and being thoroughly bored by Blackhat.  Picked up New York, New York and Judgement at Nuremberg while poking around HMV (remember those?) and the local has just listed Parasite and The Lighthouse so I'm sorted for the foreseeable.  No Uncut Gems nearby though, boo.
  • 16. My Life as a Zucchini (Courgette)
    Wonderful and sweet little animation with a slight hard edge too
    [9]

17. Galaxy Quest
    Still a classic. Only a few years after Jurassic Park it's amazing to see the progress they'd made in effects.
    [8]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I loved Courgette, such a charming film and really well styled.
  • 17. Solo: A Star Wars Story - 8
    My favourite of the Disney bunch, I'd like a sequel to see what happens to the characters further along but Disney have all ready run SW into the ground.

18. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 7
    Good stuff overall with a great ending, even if we knew it was coming. Let down a bit by unmemorable characters.

I wish Disney just stuck with side stories like these than making sequels to the original trilogy, I think there was more potential.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @Kazuo Dolemite was great. What's the Sandler comeback film you speak of?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Uncut Gems presumably
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A fair few badgers hate it iirc.  Pretty sure g man would go lower.

I didn't get on with Bone Tomahawk unfortunatley, I really wanted to as a big Kurt Russell fan but I just couldn't get on with it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • (I should read the thread)
  • I enjoyed BT, would certainly watch again.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Uncut Gems presumably

Thanks, will check that out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @retro
    Have you seen Mandalorian yet?
  • I didn't mean to sound like a cunt there btw! Everything I've heard about UG has been positive, I need to renew my netflix.
  • Presumably you will have a hangover tomorrow (ref whiskey). It is not the movie to watch with a hangover.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    @retro
    Have you seen Mandalorian yet?

I haven’t, any good?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nick_md wrote:
    I didn't mean to sound like a cunt there btw! Everything I've heard about UG has been positive, I need to renew my netflix.

All good, no offence taken.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The trick is to drink enough so that you feel invigorated the next day :flexemoji:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!