Movie record 2020 edition
  • 11. Centurion
    A 3 hour LotR styled epic poorly written and crammed into an hour and a half. Neil Marshall should stick to small scale stuff.
    [4]

12. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Dated a bit but I can see why I loved it as a kid.
    [6]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    15.  Boyhood - Hawke and Arquette bring humanity to archetypal characters and the kids' natural awkwardness rings true throughout.  Not sure it was worth waiting 12 years for the actors to grow up.  [7]

16.  Breakfast at Tiffany's - A most pleasurable, sparkling confection.  Mickey's casting and, to a far lesser extent, the ending being the only real blights.  [8]

17.  The Clock - Minnelli directing Judy in a straight drama and she carries it in her natural manner, helped by a few colourful supporting characters.  Some of it's awfully quaint but I liked the deflated feeling in the final few scenes.  [6]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Are you aiming for an average of a film a day this year or is this merely coincidence?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Oh no nothing like that.  Just watched a few more than usual at new years before they left iPlayer.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    5. Just Mercy

Emotive civil rights drama concerning shockingly recent criminal injustice in the Deep South.

[8]
  • 5. Ride Along 

Kevin Hart and Ice Cube go through the motions in a typical, bland american comedy. I like some of Harts stand up and he came across well in Jumanji but he aint enough to save this.

(3)

6. John Wick: Chapter 2

I'd seen this a while ago but couldnt remember much. So with Wick 3 on netflix, a refresher was needed. Still quite good fun but its much more one note than the first. It seems a much more simple plot and while there is world building going on, it's quite silly. Still, its good fun and I'm ready for the next chapter.

(6)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Fighting With My Family

I haven't watched any wrestling since I was in primary school but I'm glad I gave this one a shot. Bags of charm, some brilliant performances, and real heart.
  • 11. The Disaster Artist
    James Franco's ode to cult 'so bad it's good' film, The Room. ***
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 16. Long Shot - 7
    Nice little inoffensive comedy that had me laughing out loud a few times.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yea I enjoyed Long Shot too.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bombshell

Uncomfortable but gripping few hours. Glad this important film had Fox on the run. (7)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • 2. 1917 - 18th Jan
    Went in expecting a well-made but somewhat dull war film. I got a very entertaining and incredibly made one. Made me want to see/read a ‘making of’ straight away. Brilliant.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • They did quite a bit of filming in Glasgow. Dunno what bits of the movie, but they took over a section of the riverside in Govan for a fair while.
  • 12. Us
    Jordan Peele's very inventive, demon doppelganger, thriller chiller. ****
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 8. Jagten (The Hunt) Mads on top form. Tough watch this, especially in my line of work. Very emotive.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 7. Inside Out 

Watched this as a family movie and it brought out a lot of questions from my 6 year old daughter. It's a wonderful film that avoids being preachy while delivering some insight into the turmoil of growing up. One of the best mid-credits gags as well.

(9)

8. John Wick 3: Parabellum

Maybe one too many times back to the well for Keanu. Some great action scenes cant save a character (or actor) who is so basic. Keanus inability to show pain, fatigue or weariness ruins what was already an over cooked turkey. How much better would Montenson or Mikkleson been in the role? The Wicks world doesnt just creak but collapses under the layers of stodge.

(4)
    SFV - reddave360
  • 13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Dang this is a dark film. Can’t really imagine how my parents let me watch this as a kid.
    [6]
  • 13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Dang this is a dark film. Can’t really imagine how my parents let me watch this as a kid. [6]

Its kinda amazing to look back at this and realise that it got a PG rating. I'd argue its far worse than something like Commando which came out a year later but has an 18s cert. I'm guessing the Indiana name and Spielberg helped it get that precious yellow triangle. (although I think this is one of the first movies to use the PG-12 cert)
    SFV - reddave360
  • 12. Accident Man
    Standard Scott Adkins actioner. Needed less Guy Ritchie-esque scripting and more action. **
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    18.  The Band Wagon -  More Minnelli, a standard backstage plot poking fun at pretentious theatre folk.   Some great numbers, among them a big production number I actually like in Girl Hunt Ballet.  Partly because of Fred and Cyd's energy and partly because of the knowing voice over: "more curves than a scenic railway".  [7]
  • 14. Brightburn
    A woefully put together film with an interesting concept. None of the characters react appropriately throughout the film.
    [3]
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Dang this is a dark film. Can’t really imagine how my parents let me watch this as a kid. [6]

Its kinda amazing to look back at this and realise that it got a PG rating. I'd argue its far worse than something like Commando which came out a year later but has an 18s cert. I'm guessing the Indiana name and Spielberg helped it get that precious yellow triangle. (although I think this is one of the first movies to use the PG-12 cert)

Temple definitely felt like something I was getting away with watching as a youngster, it's very strong for a PG.

The real headpop is the fact that Watership Down was certified as 'suitable for all' though. Stick Celtic Frost over the top of its grimmest scenes and you've got yourself a Manga trailer.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    6. Waves

Intoxicating, if occasionally ponderous, stream of consciousness examination of a family in crisis.

[8]
  • Not that it matters but I'm upping my score for Dragged Across Concrete to an 8.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    7. Bombshell

High profile but surprisingly unengaging exposé of systematic sexual harrassment at Fox News.

[6]
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not that it matters but I'm upping my score for Dragged Across Concrete to an 8.

Really? I'm not a fan of that his films but I thought concrete was pretty flawed even though it's probably his best. He's a director I just don't see the love for.
  • I enjoyed Bone Tomahawk but thought Brawl was a swing and a miss. Concrete seemed to do a lot wrong while I was watching it but I've found myself discussing it loads and trying to force it on other people since. Never seen anything quite like it and I've decided it worked for me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I really don't like bone tomahawk. It'd probably get a 4 from me.
  • A fair few badgers hate it iirc.  Pretty sure g man would go lower.
  • A fair few badgers hate it iirc.  Pretty sure g man would go lower.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!