Game of Thrones TV show with massive spoilers everywhere.
  • It's popcorn tv now. I don't need a travelogue, seen enough of Westeros now. Seems to me that it's doing a fairly decent job of linking to previous events and tying it all together fairly well. Not sure, realistically, what else it could do to reach a satisfying end in the remaining time.
  • See, I don't think things are being tied together "well". Things are being tied together quickly and, in order to do that, nuance has been ditched. It's full steam ahead and the old tendency of the series to let loyalties, distance and politics get in the way has been chucked way away.

You know that super complex issue that's been hanging around for a couple of seasons? Solved in a conversation.

Those all powerful unstoppable dudes? Tricked and now seriously nerfed.

That money thing? All sorted, don't you worry.

This is not a good way to tie things up. This is just making sure everything is tied up, regardless of quality or consistency.

Sorry - I'm genuinely not trying to shit on anyone's chips. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. But...I just can't see it. Even my wife, who has the attention span of a goldfish, is picking up on this stuff.
  • The idea that the crown's debt (principal plus interest) can be paid off just by looting highgarden made me lol so fucking hard. It's a fucking substandard d&d lore master in charge. "Oh yeah if you roll a 13 or above all of it debts is be paid by them"
  • legaldinho wrote:
    The idea that the crown's debt (principal plus interest) can be paid off just by looting highgarden made me lol so fucking hard. It's a fucking substandard d&d lore master in charge. "Oh yeah if you roll a 13 or above all of it debts is be paid by them"

No DM worth his salt would let the DC on that roll be that low. Once proficiency in charisma-based skills is factored in (or an investigation check, maybe), then 13 would only really need a roll of 3-6 on a D20 for any semi-competent high level party.

Gonzo am n00b.
  • I don't play that faggy shit mate
  • I prefer c2c webcams
  • One of the big problems is the first the first 4 seasons played out the first 3 books (with some feathered edges). Those are the best of the books with A Feast for Crows (the 4th book) being largely considered meandering and of poorer quality.

So season 5  they are trying to deal with the source material dipping in quality, while not knowing what is going to come in the fast approaching future. It puts season 5 into a messy holding pattern they couldn't really get out of until finally being given more freedom in season 6 with the promise 7 and 8 would be released before the books.

So now they have to make up the story with a few milestones plotting it out, tie up all the mess from before and get it done quick due to contracts/human aging, in less episodes because budget, while knowing whatever they write for the ending will be some of the most watched and criticised. On top of all that they have to stick to the points laid out by Martin regardless of how sensical they are.

It is an almost impossible task and I think the job they are doing is pretty decent if you can get over some mild conveniences.

I think there also needs to be a bit of patience, it is a series and not everything can be in one episode. After ep 3 plenty on here were complaining that she won't use her dragons or that we didn't get a Jamie-Bronn banter scene, well we got both of those things this week.
  • Much like travel, that army will be as big as the story needs it to be. Depending on how the plot goes, there's still loads left and we're building to a big battle or they've taken a sizable hit and some new twist will be needed. Don't think you can go on the effects for a clear idea.

Side thought - if we do get a big battle at kings landing I'd love to see the mountain take down a dragon a la Matthew muchonahey in reign of fire (Only actually succeeding) this season will be a guaranteed ten on ten if that happens.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Its cool to hate popular things.
    Or so I've been told.
    By cool people.
    Cool people that wear glasses with clear,non prescriptive glass.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Its cool to hate popular things.
    Or so I've been told.
    By cool people.
    Cool people that wear glasses with clear,non prescriptive glass.

Im not trying to hate on it, buddy - like I said above, I'm glad people are liking it.

I just think it's become really badly written. But I won't begrudge anyone thinking otherwise.
  • It's a fair point to say the writing has got progressively worse. Case in point - chaos is a ladder. Baelish's speech many series back had substance when referring to it. Bran's use of it was insignificant in comparison.

Thing is there's 12 hours or so of filming across these final 2 series and 25-30 character arcs to resolve. Breakneck speed tv.
  • Its cool to hate popular things. Or so I've been told. By cool people. Cool people that wear glasses with clear,non prescriptive glass.
    Im not trying to hate on it, buddy - like I said above, I'm glad people are liking it. I just think it's become really badly written. But I won't begrudge anyone thinking otherwise.
    Nope I totally get where you are coming from (and to an extent agree). I guess I was more jibbing the people saying the whole thing is trash. I for one enjoyed the fuck out of the show. Its better than a lot of muck out there on telly.

This season is getting a pass from me as well. I think the writers are trying to make the best of what resources they have and are looking to conclude the thing. If the dothraki use a fast travel pass now and again I dont care, its taken Dany 6 seasons just to reach Westeros! Though I am finding Euron the jolly teleporting pirate a little hard to swallow.
  • A mate has just reminded me of something I completely overlooked in the books and it has been alluded to in this season. 
    Spoiler:
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    More of a plot device than Bronn.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm with Cinty on the He-Man-style villain of the week, and we're now at the point where nothing's OP and it's a game of numbers. The writing's never been great, but some of its setups definitely have been. In short, 95% of my favourite moments have been realistic to Medieval conventions, and though it'd definitely lose something if it ditched all fantasy, I ultimately find that fantasy to its overall detriment.

The Red Wedding's a perfect case to cover quickly [S3E9]...

Spoiler:

^I'm talking about realism there, and on that note lots of little things that really shouldn't bother me do.

S7E4:

Spoiler:

Dolores Stormborn's not just one of the most tyrannical characters, she's also the biggest hypocrite by far, but the incorrigible geekery of those who fancy her provide more protection than her dragons ever will. So because I've time, I'll do a quick breakdown on her history (for future readers/mugs, we're up to S7E4)...

Spoiler:

Final thing: the music's easily the best thing in this. I can't decide if my favourite's The Rains of Castamere or Melisandre's theme, Lord of Light. Pretty sure it's the latter; I just love its ending. Light of the Seven's good [S6E10]. Talking of Mel...

Spoiler:

I wish someone'd do a Medieval version of this.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    A mate has just reminded me of something I completely overlooked in the books and it has been altered to in this season. 
    Spoiler:

Wasn't there also a
    Spoiler:
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    So they're gonna have...

Spoiler:
  • I'll call her Dolores Stormborn from now on.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    A mate has just reminded me of something I completely overlooked in the books and it has been altered to in this season. 
    Spoiler:
    Wasn't there also a
    Spoiler:
    You are right there was.
  • For me, while I'm enjoying it, it's wandered from the realm of the show where no one is safe into the last second save from the clutches of doom typical TV fayre.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'll call her Dolores Stormborn from now on.

Vera_Donovan.gif

I've no truck with the character, but she needed to be a believably vicious actress who was presented as such.
  • The whole thing is fucking trash
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks had it with trashfire. It's TV fudge: it tastes great, but you crave something more filling after a while. Djawadi's music really does elevate it; that's its real magic.
  • Escape wrote:
    Dolores Stormborn's not just one of the most tyrannical characters, she's also the biggest hypocrite by far, but the incorrigible geekery of those who fancy her provide more protection than her dragons ever will. So because I've time, I'll do a quick breakdown on her history (for future readers/mugs, we're up to S7E4)...

Spoiler:
    That's her schtick though isn't it? She's half a vengeance consumed rage queen, half a benevolent liberator. Which side of her will win out? Will she go too far? Will her vengeance consume her? Will she bang her nephew? Find out next week, same bat time, same bat channel.
  • Season 2:  I'd actually prefer if they dropped the magical stuff and just kept it as a medieval drama.  The magic stuff doesn't add anything to the story.

Season 7:  DRAGONS!!!
  • Im quiet partial to this track:

But yeah ole Ramin's music provides a real lift to the show. He did the choons for Westworld also and some crackers in there. The western styleed Paint It Black was rather lovely.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Remember that get hype season 2 trailer

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    That's her schtick though isn't it? She's half a vengeance consumed rage queen, half a benevolent liberator. Which side of her will win out? Will she go too far? Will her vengeance consume her? Will she bang her nephew? Find out next week, same bat time, same bat channel.

All true, but a lot of people have only started criticising her since her demands of Jon Snur. She's been the same all along, but despotic to randos instead up until now. There's a fairly tight online consensus that she and Jon (among others) are the good guys, and it's taken until S7E4 for many of those to revise their opinions of Dolores.

Matt_82 wrote:
    Season 2:  I'd actually prefer if they dropped the magical stuff and just kept it as a medieval drama.  The magic stuff doesn't add anything to the story. Season 7:  DRAGONS!!!

Pretty much! It's not the dragons — it's their people. I don't know if they didn't make it clear enough that D's a tyrant from the beginning, or if — as I phrased it earlier — incorrigible geekery failed to see past her looks (dragon chick!). The Lannisters were all well-cast, but the best actors elsewhere are minorish characters.

Talking of those, I fear they won't have enough time left to finish their stories, what with the main players arresting most of the remaining time. The Houndlaw Josey Wales (and bros), Arya, Brienne, Bronn, Varys and co. are all looking at rushed endings, I reckon. I'm still expecting a heel turn from...

Spoiler:

And they're almost certain to waste...

Spoiler:
  • Robin Hood and his Merry Men The Brotherhood Without Banners are my favourites. I do believe they have a serious role to play against the White Walkers, when the fighting starts. That burning blade is going to be as good as Valyrian steel against the fuckers, no?

We’re surely boiling down to the essentials of fire vs ice for season eight. Red vs Blue. Goodies and baddies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!