Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • Vela wrote:
    Fuck, how did I forget. Rive. I want it now.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Looks good. Page turn.  I meant Rive.

Look at us commenting on Rive way back in January.  Muzzy could've fathered another child in the time it took him to saunter onto the hypetrain.
  • I took the middle bit out of the video link thinking it would just say [vid][vid] but it didn't and now I can't work out how to put the vid back in.
  • Ha, I couldn't even type video in the post above without creating more empty videos.
  • Rally Copters looks like a cross between Kuru Kuru Kururin, N+ and Micro Machines.  I have my eye on it.
  • I'm aware that this page is all me so far, but I've finished Virginia.  It does certain things very well, so well that I expect we'll see some of its tricks implemented in future walk 'em ups.  The sudden cuts to spool progression make perfect sense.  I'm not particularly well versed in the genre, but it's the first time I've seen this done and I doubt it'll be the last.  The heavy-handed Lynchisms work fine as games still have loads more leeway with that sort of thing than film.  The bar performance scene was probably the stand out moment for me, although I'd have groaned my way through it in the cinema.  In terms of gameplay it was about as on rails as a game like this can be, there are no puzzles, and progression is made deliberately obvious by the shape of the reticle - if a point and click hadn't already been taken as a genre it'd fit.  Walk and click?  The score deserves a special mention, I'm glad I played the whole thing with headphones, and although the complete lack of dialogue threw me at first it was a bold move that worked. 

Overall, I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it and found myself constantly thinking about the possibilities of game narrative were a walking sim to come along that was on point with everything.  That's probably overly hash on this one, as it was doing plenty of things well enough to make me ponder the 'what if's' in the first place.  Having now played Firewatch, Gone Home and Virginia, it's fair to say this type of game is rapidly becoming my favourite modern genre, to the point where I probably have unrealistically high hopes for it.  It was all over in 90mins, but £7.19 felt about right.  [7]
  • The credits quite nicely point out Brendon Chung's Thirty Flights of Loving as the game that inspired them to adopt editing within a game to work with the narrative. He's certainly the most prominent implementer of the technique, so it's nice to see a proper 'polished' game with some real exposure give him some dues.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    That's probably overly hash on this one, as it was doing plenty of things well enough to make me ponder the 'what if's' in the first place.  Having now played Firewatch, Gone Home and Virginia, it's fair to say this type of game is rapidly becoming my favourite modern genre, to the point where I probably have unrealistically high hopes for it.  It was all over in 90mins, but £7.19 felt about right.  [7]

Pretty much thought the same although there must be a bit more too it cos i missed loads of trophies

I thought I heard snatches of
    Spoiler:
    in the excellent sound track.

No idea what it was all about though.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I just finished Virginia too. What a crock of complete and utter shite. That's eight quid and three* hours I'm not getting back.

Where Moot has highlighted the music, I'd like to point out it was a major fucking irritation for me. The music is overwrought throughout, almost constantly telling you how meaningful what you're seeing is, when you yourself are bored to tears.

If the idea of Every Xbox Avatar's Gone to the Rapture on mute excites you, feel free to waste your time and money on this.

* The game is only two hours, but it was so painfully dull I nodded off with the controller in my hand.
  • Thought I'd have a play through it this morning, and it's telling me 11 hours to download. Yikes.
  • When ADKM strongly dislikes something, chances are there's merit to it. Interest piqued.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm halfway through it and enjoying it a lot.
  • I played Journey for the first time yesterday. 

What a wonderful but very brief experience. 
    I fell hook line and sinker for the mystery and the atmosphere. 
    It was a genuinely moving and lovely experience that was completely ruined by the reveal of the other companions you had met along the way. 
    Not because their names were revealed and i preferred them to be enigmatic, no, because the very first player i spent time with was called TheRealNig-Ga. 
    Bastard guy.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Reminds me of the first time I got invaded in Dark Souls 2 - was by a player named something like PussiWrekka. He was not successful in wrekking my pussi.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My wife had a solid buddy throughout her first run of Journey, and kept pointing out "it's my buddy!" and then at the end it turned out their name was OVEN4JEWS
  • Oh good lord, I feel so bad for laughing as hard as I just did.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tragicomedy
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • There should be some sort of system for complaining about awful names like that.

Get on it Sony. Sort out these cunts.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Fuck.

Who'd have thought Journey of all things would be full of big racists?

Must be where they go to relax after a long day's hating.
  • Maybe he just misspelt Oy Vey?
  • Weirdly when I played Journey for the first time I also got some crude username, can't remember what it was but it added something to the whole experience.
  • Maybe they use it for therapy in detention centres?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • weadre wrote:
    Thought I'd have a play through it this morning, and it's telling me 11 hours to download. Yikes.

It had gone up to 13 so I paused and restarted and it went straight to 30 min...

• Anyone know if I can pull the Netflix icon out of the tv section and put it in the main section?
  • I remember seeing one gamertag called boxcutter pilot but that was in rainbow six so I guess it was appropriate
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • We reckon Necrodancer gonna appear on PS4+ at any point? Or has it already? I wants.
  • Pay the nice devs for their nice game
  • Oh, I have done previously.

Want it on the PS4 as well and am loath to pay twice when I shouldn't be 'wasting money on games with a baby on the way jesus christ tiger what's wrong with you?' as the Lady says.
  • well kids are like the ultimate roguelike so maybe she has a point?

(In don't think it's been on PS+ yet)
  • Note to self: Don't treat Tiger Jr's. life like I'm playing Shiren.
  • Just finished Virginia.  I thought it was an interesting experiment, but that it ultimately didn't really work.
    Spoiler:
    Ironically, I think I would have enjoyed it more as the film it clearly wants to be, rather than a game with little in the way of real interaction.

Having said all that, I'm glad I played it, and I'm glad I payed for it.  Maybe I'll enjoy their next experiment more...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!