• Maybe not.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Let's call the whole thing off.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • FFXV out on PC in March.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I've had the Steam controller for quite a while now (a year or so) but never got around to actually using it.
    Been testing it with a few games recently and....
    It's such a mixed bag. Definitely a first gen product and I really do hope Valve will keep refining it's design.

For starters, ergonomically the pad in hand feels like the xbox og whopper pad and that is not a compliment. Big, fat, unwieldy, awkward button and trigger placements; it feels like a leap back in ergonomics, certainly compared to contemporary xbone and ps4 pads. It also feels weird the dpad and right anologue sticks are missing and replaced with haptic trackpads. You get used to it eventually but there's definitely an acclimatisation period.

On the upside the pad is ultra customisable. There are so many settings for trackpad behaviour alone it can be a bit bewildering. It's fantastic for mouse style point and click games and that includes fps, strategy games and point and click adventures. Because the dpad is missing things like streetfighter and 2d mario become a bit trickier though not impossible. I also don't understand why on the left side they implemented an analogue stick and trackpad when they could have gone for a dpad and trackpad (which much like an anologue stick allows anologue input) instead, which would have made a bit more sense as it makes the pad more versatile.

To conclude, great first effort pad with enormous potential. Valve isnt quite there yet though, crappy ergonomics are holding it back from being the perfect gaming companion. Nothing that can't be addressed with a redesign. I wish they just stole the in hand design of the 360 or xbone pad. Imo those are the most comfortable to hold for extended gaming sessions and therefore the designs to beat.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah it seems quite useful, still waiting on the version 2 of it before I jump in.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Quick, free on Humble - Amnesia Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Anyone interested in a Civ 6 key?
  • Mememe!
    If it's still there..
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Incoming!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    ....when I get on my desktop, as I don’t seem to be able to log in on my iPad.
  • Cheers Birdorf!
    A big manhug from me.
  • Civ VI is ruining my life right now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What (if any) mods are you running?

The AI seem to never forget. I declared war on China (after they had already attacked me twice, unprovoked) and everyone denounced me as a war monger. Almost 500 years later, after no war, they are still denouncing me as a war monger.
  • Right now, nothing, still getting to grips with base. There are some extra info ones I might play with.

Yeah warmongering is a big penalty. It gets worse as you go the ages - it's nothing early on and massive post-Industrial. You can use the cassus belli mechanism but razing and capturing cities still gives big penalties.
  • Why the hell would Dirt default to not having v-sync switched on? Hit windows button before, and it didn't' automatically change back when I went back in, after being annoyed at screen tear, I notice v sync is off. Does v-sync require a fair bit of cpu or memory usage?
  • Kind of; in the worst case, turning it on can effectively halve the frame rate because maths. Hence, a lot of games actually default to having it off.
  • I think with V-Sync if you can't maintain 60 (or whatever your display's refresh rate happens to be) then you will get stutters as it drops straight down to 30 or half refresh rate.

V-Sync will add a bunch of input lag, not ideal for anything fast paced. Which is why adaptive refresh in displays is such an important tech, basically solves all these annoying issues.
  • Fair enough. Trade off seems worth it for dirt.
  • If your PC's hitting the required frame-rate, you won't be dropping frames and the input lag will be minimal (not that it's actually that big if you're loosing frames, either).

I play most games with v-sync on, it's only if you're playing something competitive or twitchy that it's much of an issue. For instance, it's common for console games to have it on these days.
  • AJ wrote:
    If your PC's hitting the required frame-rate, you won't be dropping frames and the input lag will be minimal (not that it's actually that big if you're loosing frames, either). I play most games with v-sync on.

Not really minimal.  Input lag is input lag, and depends if a person wants it or not.
    A lot of PC people turn off vsych to get the fastest response, shooters, racing games, etc.

As an example, if I play a first person game with m+k and vsync on, it feels like the handbrake is on and aiming is slower.  With vsyc off, aiming is a lot faster and responsive.
    If I'm using a controller then it doesn't matter so much because you can't match the speed of the mouse with the  contoller anyay.

I run my racing games at 120 fps with vsyc off.  Gives low input lag and the tears are quite small due to the higher framerate.  I use RTSS (RivaTuner Statistics Server) to lock the framerate unless the game has its own framerate cap, otherwise the GPU will pump out whatever it can.

Turning vsync off can make games look a lot worse and less solid due to tearing so vsync is often a good thing to have, but if you struggling to hit 60fps then it should be turned off as jumping between 30 and 60 sucks.
  • There's always input lag, I guess it depends on what kind of games you play and how you play them as to what you consider minimal. I'd class under 40ms as minimal, which is more than most v-sync would cause.

I'm quite happy playing at 30fps and would rather up the detail and put v-sync on to keep a solid 30 than lower detail or remove v-sync to get 60. All up to personal preference.
  • In very old news I've just noticed, HL2 had an update. It's mainly the lighting and certain face models but it looks quite lovely for such an old game.
  • Such a classic game. There's something about the visual design that makes it still really playable, plus on modern hardware you can crank everything up including resolution and it'll run just fine.
  • The lighting is just lovely. There's rays and bloom and mist in the air. The big hall in the train station, just before you step outside, looks great. The sun pouring through those big windows makes city 17 look quite inviting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!