Soma
  • I don't understand this thread. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • People making up stories about extreme X-Files bollocks.

It mostly lives here: http://www.scp-wiki.net
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I thought this would be Majestic 2 for a while. Remember Majestic guys? My dad got into it because we were well into The X Files. It was shit. Imagine it now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam_(video_game)

check out this game
  • Yeah, this won't be anything like SCP, I'm sure. Just reminded me of it, which unfortunately led to far more conversation about it than intended, instead of focusing on this new game.

Now, is Frictional on development duty this time, or just publishing?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I don't understand this thread. :(

Yes...

what-the-fuck-is-this-shit.jpg
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Chief wrote:
    Yeah, this won't be anything like SCP, I'm sure. Just reminded me of it, which unfortunately led to far more conversation about it than intended, instead of focusing on this new game.

I think that's 'cause there's not a lot to talk about regarding this new game.

Now, is Frictional on development duty this time, or just publishing?

No idea.

Is everyone aware (particularly Reg) that there are hidden codes, presumably for people to figure out, in the website?
  • Just hoping they're on dev duty as they slipped up giving Amnesia to The Chinese Room (if I remember right) as A Machine For Pigs was a massive, massive disappointment. If the original Dark Descent team are on this new one then I'll be more interested.
  • Chief wrote:
    Just hoping they're on dev duty as they slipped up giving Amnesia to The Chinese Room (if I remember right) as A Machine For Pigs was a massive, massive disappointment. If the original Dark Descent team are on this new one then I'll be more interested.

They're in development, yep
  • Gonzo wrote:
    www.bennyon.com

Haha. They're not even subtle about it.
  • @Tempy

It ends with her seeing herself on the monitor, on the floor, probably after suffering an attack. The door is open and the machine is gone.
  • I feel that's a more obvious interpretation and doesn't fit with the vivarium name as well as the idea that it's simulating something inside itself, as @AJ noted the chair starts off empty.

Either works, I just think the simulation idea fits in better with the second video.
  • I'm not suggesting it's a simulation, necessarily. It could be some kind of partial duplicate, like a dimensional mirror or some shit.

You can't @ mention me yet, btw. I've got a fix for it, but I'm holding off submitting it until I've finished doing the one for people with a space in their name too.
  • Ok, what if the machine at that point has "copied" the woman? The machine itself isn't in the simulation, the vivarium, because it's unaware of its own nature, as per the second video.
  • So we're all agreed on that? Good.

:p
  • That was fecking awesome

With Tempy, maybe not so sure about the dimensional mirror or whatever, i think it's reproducing those who operate it fully enough for it to make the duplicate, and you would presume live in a 'dimension' space or whatever you want to call it removed from the physicality of the vessel

It's a good callback to schizo stuff of mine, some group or all people having a broader range of senses, or a difference range of senses, perceiving you and taking it for granted but you unable to percieve it yourself, or comprehend its nature

Perhaps rather it could be confined to the machines physicality but the recreation unable to rationalise their circumstances given that physicality start showing signs of being disturbed or having a watsit, cognitive dissonance or something, hence anger and threats of violence when unable to confront the reality of the situation they divert

This is a really really cool idea for just, well, an idea, interesting to see it make into a game with Frictional at the helm

For the record i'm enjoying a machine for pigs like i would a haunted house, and really really starting to like the whole genre but it does need a big bump to mature a bit. It's also super oculus suited which obv i love. Frictional obviously hold the edge but it could go all sorts of places, in fact my new huuuge project is gonna be a 'fuck it ill probs never make money from this but whatever' thing and i hope it can have as fun ideas as this
  • I'd like to see this go in a more psychological and metaphysical direction, yeah. The whole "what does it men to be alive", "am I really me" kinda stuff. There's some real depth to play with the viewer in that.
  • My shot's going to be related to playing a character you cannot help but loathe, and will warp everything to avoid facing up to the reasons theyre in their predicament, and its a game in it, reality fux ahoy

Thats one way of billions to have a go at making a walk-em-up (I coined that okay). Lovin the genre
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tis' assimilating consciousness, it is. : P

But...

what%20the%20fuck%20is%20this%20shit%201.jpg
  • Yeah i dunno how it's going to be a game at all, as yet. Wonder if it'll play off characters interacting with their info-clones in some spiralling hysterical mindfuck. Lets hope so!

Use your brains Dynamite, its the future. THE FUTURE

One day all games will be walk-em-ups because people will accept that oculus is categorically superior to the monitor but fps make them vom. Bam
  • Can't wait for this to get 60 on Metacritic.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    Can't wait for this to get 60 on Metacritic.

Haha!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've always wanted to play Myst, btw. Was that any good?
  • I found Myst boring as shit

Have you played Amnesia: Dark Descent or Outlast, Dynamite?

They're pretty solid games, Amnesia being very very solid, and imo well written, as in good horror book level, not tries its best game level
  • Technically, I have Dark Descent. I've not played it because I've got it for OnLive, though.

I would also like a walk-em-up, though am waiting for the proper version before I drop money on a Rift.
  • I can't even hack-rift the Amnesia games cause they use OGL, but Outlast is a pretty sweet walk-em-up that works nicely with the rift, havent played it in a bit mind. I wanna try Gone Home despite it's highly probably lack of violence and possible decent story about girls, hence making it a gay game for gays, but i'll wait for news on official rift support before creeping through that family's belongings for filthy knickers
  • Does Dear Esther support it? I'd imagine that should be quite a sight.

Ooh! What about MirrorMoon?
  • Dear Esther doesnt have direct support for it yet.. i think? I'm gonna go check right now actually cause i played with a hack but i wanna see valves proper effort on it

I better find out what MirrorMoon is first but if it looks like it might be tops i'll look into it pronto
  • I don't think Valve have any involvement with Dear Esther beyond creating the engine.

We talked about MirrorMoon here, it's an explore-things-and-figure-out-what's-going-on with puzzles: http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/967/little-known-gems-mirrormoon
  • I think the engine aspect of things should be enough though.. i think? Dear Esther really is the sorta game crying for this done correctly

You got me all stoked anyways, im gonna try perfect my hacky stuff to try get a better reproduction

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!