GOTG
  • Kinda surprised there's been no votes for Saint's Row IV yet.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    E = Team Fortress 2  Botanicula

Before F2P, before the item store, before hats, before anyone gave a shit about any kind of background story, this was the most fun multiplayer game I had ever played. And still is, really. If I could be bothered to play on vanilla servers. It's hard to complain about the huge amounts of free content Valve have released for TF2, but deep down I see a friend who's suffocated under a mound of cheap tat.

A = Probably Rock Band Botanicula I can't think of any games from last gen that come close to the level of social interaction and fun in the household with any kind of mate the RB franchise put out. The Wii touted getting your gran into games but RB brought the people who gave a shit. That and crazy periphs.

Rep-re-sent = CoD as a whole Botanicula as a whole

Yo fuck that shit, man.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Nah not CoD as a whole- I wouldn't say at least.

Me too, I need to get me some TLoU time.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • AJ wrote:
    Kinda surprised there's been no votes for Saint's Row IV yet.

SRIV is a different kind of industrial summary.
  • I'm probably going to feel really dumb when it's explained to me but, right now, I don't have the faintest what you just said.
  • Entertainment: Skyward Sword. Mainly because everything about it was so damn good. Combat, the atmosphere, the way the three areas all opened up bit by bit upon revisiting them throughout the game. The art style was unlike anything I've seen before (in gaming) and the way some areas changed throughout really showed this off nicely (Faron Woods late game for best case).

The gameplay mechanics for things like time stones and the flying beetle made for some great puzzles, and the meat and veg of sword/shield combat delivered the perfect crescendo to the game overall. Nothing like a FINAL BATTLE where the hero's shield breaks in two and still manages to hang on for grim death and prevail. Not even Highlander topped that.

Apex: Super Mario Galaxy - Mainly because of the physics and technical achievement it represents. 3D platforming with a perfect camera, unintelligible perspective changes and visuals that, whilst not the best, have no technical limitations and will age as well as, if not better than Wind Waker.

Representative: Wii Sports. Even CoD couldn't do this. Shaped the trend for accessibility in gaming, forced Kinect and Move into existence, and demonstrated the potential for motion control in general.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Representative: Wii Sports. Even CoD couldn't do this

Oh, yeah. Man's got a point.

[edit]

But then again, CoD 4 wins on its present-day pedigree. Sports has packed up and gone home. Sports' splash was bigger, but CoD's been on the can for longer.
  • CoD was massive. Is massive, no question. But aside from Turtle Beach, it didn't create a space for a whole new set of add on devices like Kinect, which turned 360 into a bigger system than it was tracking, and Move. That said, CoD did break records, drive exclusive DLC partnerships, shift millions of consoles and subscriptions so I don't want to downplay it.

I just personally give more credence to something that introduces a viable new way to play games than something that is a laser-precise distillation of a genre.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Shouldn't profit be our metric? In which case, you probably win.

Add-on Bats - 1, Special Eyewear - 0.
  • E: Halo 3, ultimate online, for all it's frustrations over the course of it's life. And the most replayable campaign, even ahead of CE in terms of co-op.

A: I may have to say GTAV. Give me a few days. It's doing some things already that have blown my mind. Tips of the hat to H3, Dark Souls, and probably some others I'm missing. Hard to interpret Apex for me. 

R: CoD4, and not in a good way.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wii Sports is a great shout for "R". I'd probably turn my answer to that - and not necessarily in a good way. In many ways, the Kinect and Eye are still chasing that dollar.
  • I think it's good, like CoD and angry birds etc if it makes gaming a more positive thing overall. I think there is at present an overtly insular and possessive attitude in a lot of gaming communities, and that is not healthy for future growth.

I think the backlash to Wii Sports exemplifies this, and the game is unfairly maligned.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    angry birds

There's another, Reg!
  • E - Maybe Bayo - can't think of anything else that's as purely enjoyable.

A - I wouldn't know about that sort of thing.

R - What everyone else said.

Overall - Dark Souls of course. Mostly because it's the antithesis of all the crap stuff in modern gaming, as seen in most other blockbuster games.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    E - Maybe Bayo - can't think of anything else that's as purely enjoyable.

That's an interesting one.

Yes. It's definitely state of the art. Yes it's amazing. But the whole thing felt anachronistic.
    Why? The lack of multiplayer? The misogyny?

Yeah, we loved it, but it's probably the most anti-social game made this gen... 

As for the Angry Birds argument, I won't support it. One could possibly argue that the game design is more than 50 years old (alongside the enigma effort, weren't ballistic trajectory calculations one of the first computer applications?). It's a timely business success, but little more.

I'd say that Candy Crush stakes a better claim to the title than Angry Birds.
    That game does attempt to do something new, and it's succeeded spectacularly. But I wouldn't count that either.

But yeah... Why would I agree with COD, and not Angry Birds?
    They're both reheating the stew.

I should just go with Halo 3...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If I gave all my answers as Botanicula some people would actually play it.

But i'm better than that.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Entertainment - Grand Theft Auto V*
    Apex - The Last Of Us
    Representative - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

* This is based on the presumption of GTA Online's draw.

Regardless of however you boil it down there can be no doubt to what is the Game of the Generation, it has to be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don't know if I'm doing this right, but for me it's going to be:

Entertainment: Mass Effect Series. While it ended badly, the peaks of ME2 after building on a decent start were amazing. The range of missions, characters and the overall story arc for me have yet to be bettered. I even enjoyed the planet scanning.

Apex: I wasn't sure if this was just a graphics thing, but I would have to say as a combination of graphical achievement, art and a solid game engine it has to go to Dark Souls.

Representative: I think like a few people have mentioned Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has to be the game of the past generation. For me I came to the party late with MW2 and pretty much played that and MW3 to death (MW3 I use as therapy - want to switch off while playing MP? Play MW3 TDM).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's Game of the Generation if you like it, otherwise not really. Pants of the Generation.

It don't get all the love for Call of Duty, it was fun but I could think of a hundred games that were better and more representative of the current generation of consoles, particularly as it was just carrying on a game type and genre that had existed for quite a while on pc.
  • How long did that take for you to come up with? Cutting!
  • He's been sitting on that pants line for a while.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    It's Game of the Generation if you like it, otherwise not really. Pants of the Generation.

Isn't this all 'if you like it'?

Was asked my opinion, gave it, job done.

Could do with a poll perhaps in the OP?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well a lot of it is if you like it but surely a game of the generation should redefine things in some way, make something new, revolutionise, make use of the hardware that hadn't been made before. Simply allowing pc gaming on a console would be a bit sad as a definition of this whole generation of consoles.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    If I gave all my answers as Botanicula some people would actually play it. But i'm better than that.

That's the only game I've played recently... Well.. when I find time to play anything that is...

I still kinda prefer Machinarium... that was arder'.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Mach takes more effort of the noggin to complete but that's because Botanicula is more of an exploration game. The latter made me smile and laugh more than Machinarium.
  • Entertainment: Skyward Sword: It was the only reason I bought a Wii, and it outshone everything when it came out. To be truly immersed in a game world and surrounded by wonder again was a feeling I'd not had since Ocarina of Time. Beautiful. Puzzles were spot on, music was brilliant, gadgets fantastic, story great, wavy wavy combat not so much but they got the best they ever could out of that remote. 

Apex: It's got to be Halo 3. It was a magical time. Friends online all the time, the first time the 360 had a reliable, solid matchmaking experience to delve into, forge, the online Bungie suppport, an in depth service record, great achievements, 4 player co op, great DLC and playlist updates. Man, that game had it all.   

Representative: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It eluded me for a long time because of Halo 3, but when I finally got around to playing this, I was pretty stunned. Fantastic singleplayer campaign and an even better online component. That game sucked up the hours like no other. The perfect pick up and play game. You could be in a match within thirty seconds of boot up and that still just about holds true today, although the new games have lost the magic. A very accomplished upgrade system and some lovely balance in the weapons coupled with fantastic maps and pitch perfect controls, it's the template for so many FPS games now.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Representative: Wii Sports. Even CoD couldn't do this
    Oh, yeah. Man's got a point. [edit] But then again, CoD 4 wins on its present-day pedigree. Sports has packed up and gone home. Sports' splash was bigger, but CoD's been on the can for longer.

I laughed out loud...

Also, didn't see the Rock Band shout. That's worth discussing...

I couldn't relate to the soundtrack, but admired what it was... But then, isn't it really just a low tech Singstar (PS2)?

And then when you consider that, and the Eyetoy, perhaps we should also credit all this 'wavy' shit to Sony too...
  • Rock Band's more a descendant of the Japanese rhythm action games.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Rock Band's more a descendant of the Japanese rhythm action games.

That's true. And the Dance Mat was popular for a time, way before Guitar Hero or even Singstar was.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    RB's genius was putting it all together.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!