We got a rat. The GTAV spoiler and story thread.
  • @regface
    Yeah. I would be interested to see how it plays out if you don't though.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm assuming we all picked the third way right?
    Yup.
    Multiple endings was a major disappointment for me.

cop out

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I watched the other two endings on YouTube - neither of them has a "real" final mission, just a brief scripted chase. The Michael one is a bit more interesting as he
    Spoiler:

Except that no matter what you choose, the character ends up deads

Derp
  • Really? It looked fairly motion-captured to me. I was good though, a lot of finesse which would have had to have been hand done. Lots of man hours of content in this.

edit: talkin' bout dat animations.
  • Maybe it was facial stuff that was hand-keyed, I definitely read it, but fuck trawling the Internet on a Sunday to please a bunch of frothing tech-heads, find your own proof!
  • I cant imagine the face stuff not being mocapped either, some of the stuff there would just take wayyyyy too long by hand. But obv after they stripped a bunch of keys from the mocap they probably did a bunch of manual adjustment, you cant expect a mocap performance to be perfect when actors have an 'endurance' stat so makes sense that its been touched up.
  • Rockstar North avoids the uncanny MotionScan technology used in LA Noire, and it's clear to see why. Grand Theft Auto 5 features some of the very best hand-keyed facial animations for its integral characters.

Is the quote I'd read on a digital foundry article, although on reflection I have no idea what hand-keyed means
  • Well, clever wording, it doesnt say hand animated so i guess it didnt mean that, but for a bit of an education, mocap with the real deal hardware (Rather than my kinect attempts) creates a massive number of keys every second as it records movement, usually by tracking markers placed on the face (Or in full body mocap theyre probs a bit more ping pong balls than lil white stickers). Assuming they used something like Motionbuilder for processing the capture data (And why not, motionbuilder is awesome), then it can strip a shitton of keys from the capture. Keys are like, direct recordings of a position of a marker as it relates to whatever group of polygons on a face that are controlled by that marker, if there is space of time between one key and another, the software typically interpolates between the two positions using whatever method you wish (This comes under tweening stuff i guess, a difference between two keys could be just switched halfway through, or eased in, eased out, well whatever theres a lot of control be between how one key transitions to the next)

ANYWAYS, assuming they animated it all by hand (I doubt that heavily) they would have moved a feature of the face, added a key, then moved it some place else, added a key, and each key have a suitable transition shape, and an animation be moving the facial feature from one keyed position to another. I really doubt this happened (id like to be proved wrong). I think they'd capture it using suitable facial mocap software, motionbuilder or similar strip the keys down massively because most of it is extraneous, and as this stripping can take the life out of mocap, animators would then edit the keys manually to add some vim to the data. Hence lovely animation with both the naturalism of mocap data but given an artistic touch by good animators to bring life back into the animation
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I chose the 3rd option but played the other two via the menu.
  • Third option here.  I had the fear that one of the others would make them unavailable afterwards.

I'll be interested to see some different heists.  For the big final one, I opted for hijacking the trucks, getting the bank to hand over the gold, and escaping in the souped up cars.  The execution was really well designed, from the pacing, the length of each section, he'll even the little traffic lights mini-game.  It was a neat touch to have the scene inside the bank not just cut-scene, but controlling Michael while nothing much happens.  The glances at Trevor, who was only just controlling his own behaviour, meant I was convinced he was going to go loco and the shit would hit the fan.  I was nervous the whole time we were in there.
  • I chose the other Heist option, with the choppers. I wish I hadn't because flying a chopper through a wind farm with a cage of gold dangling off it and Lester shouting non-stop is annoying as fuck.
  • daviedigi wrote:
    theres still a story type mission after the story......return to your trailer as trevor for a surprise.
    Her accent is fucking attrocious.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I chose the other Heist option, with the choppers. I wish I hadn't because flying a chopper through a wind farm with a cage of gold dangling off it and Lester shouting non-stop is annoying as fuck.
    I think this happens regardless of which option you choose doesn't it?
  • Nope, other option is reinforced muscle cars
  • Great stuff just finished it. Weird choice at the end. Can't imagine anyone choosing to kill Michael or Trevor unless they wernt interested in gta/100pcing it.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I did but mainly down to my own rubbishness. I came across an inaccurate  internet spoiler that said 'one of them' dies at the end. Combine that with not really paying attention during the cutscene and I thought the third one of the options was effectively just suicide. I had some missions to finish with Franklin so didn't want that one.
    So I killed Trevor. But instantly regretted it as soon as I made the choice. Should have popped Michael, the selfish fuck. Even tried to cap him instead when he turned up for the shoot out.

Whenever there's multiple endings in a game I somehow always manage to choose the worst one.
  • Oh monkey!

I assumed that option A or B would result in some kind of failed attempt and you'd end up with option C anyway. Glad to see that isn't the case. One for the replays.
  • There will be no replays for me.

I also missed that the FIB were trying to get Franklin to kill Trevor prior to it being mentioned again in the final mission. Got well past the point of caring about the plot at around the halfway mark. Dire stuff.
  • plot is always absurd and barely holds together in gta. I personally felt no need to kill off either character and especially considering the consequences from a gameplay point of view..bizarre.
  • I chose C myself, as I roleplayed the entire time. Franklin wouldn't want to kill either of the men that had helped him escape the hood that he'd longed to get away from.

Plus, I was kinda looking forward to taking out a couple of those bastards...
  • Despite all the driving involved, i found taking care of things via C very satisfying
  • I can't see why Frank would kill Michael, fucking dumb fuck ending. Nor can I see why he'd kill Trevor. Unless of course he really wanted to emulate Michael, but its clear for the most part he's happy to drive his own path just to get some cash. 

One weird thing I noticed (only on the final mission ffs) is that with franklin the bullet time effect while driving effects his shooting too, other than that he is mostly fucking useless in a fight.  Kind of stupid his best shooting happens when driving and Michael gets way more boring fucking driving to do.
  • I thought the story was pretty poor overall.  I couldn't even follow it when Trevor showed up.  It seemed to be a concern that he'd find out that Michael had been working with the FIB but then Trevor joins in FIB missions without questioning things.  I thought I must have missed something.
  • You missed that Trevor defies logic
  • I dont think the plot is intended to be clever, its intended to be entertaining and dumb with it as it likes. Trevor just makes no sense, its part of his charm
  • I took the 3rd option.  I also role played throughout and Franklin would never have killed either of them.  I do have a question though.  The last mission, what was the point in going to that place where Trevor & Michael were melting (or pretending to melt down) all the gold?  I thought we were going to set up Devin and that FIB guy there?

Didn't quite understand what that was about.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    3rd option for me, too. Overall I think that the plot did what was needed and didn't get in the way. I read a review somewhere that said that while the previous games were trying to be movies, this one was aping the structure of TV shows, which I thought served it well. The three protagonist thing was great, being able to run off and explore at will and then warp straight back to the city when you've wrecked your car halfway up a mountain was great. Plus, Trevor is probably the best character I've ever played in a videogame.

A final thought; I liked Michael's conversations with his shrink about feeling like he'd lose control and act out and do crazy things. It made it seem like he really existed outside of your control.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I am the resurrection!
    monkey wrote:
    I did but mainly down to my own rubbishness. I came across an inaccurate  internet spoiler that said 'one of them' dies at the end. Combine that with not really paying attention during the cutscene and I thought the third one of the options was effectively just suicide. I had some missions to finish with Franklin so didn't want that one.
    So I killed Trevor. But instantly regretted it as soon as I made the choice. Should have popped Michael, the selfish fuck. Even tried to cap him instead when he turned up for the shoot out.

Whenever there's multiple endings in a game I somehow always manage to choose the worst one.

Just offed Trevor myself, Michael was OK to Franky, the other option seemed to be a suicide mission and there was no way Franky was dying for Trev. I thought he would have been bother in the long run so a loose end was tied up.

Doesn't really feel like an ending though, I'd have thought Franky and Michael would team up to take out the fella who wanted Michael dead, odd that that's still hanging over them.

Overall, the story was a parcel of shite but it was an excuse to get up to some fun shenanigans so it did it's job admirably.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon there'll eventually be three lots of DLC, one for each if the main characters, and you guys won't be allowed to purchase the Trevor one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!