regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hiroshi-Yamauchi-610x390.jpg
    1927-2013

So Yamauchi-San died on Sunday, and people have been saying we should start a thread. I think it's fitting, when you consider the man's legacy; despite the state that Nintendo may be in now, the man did some crazy important stuff.

So I guess I'll start by listing some of the things the man did, and then we can take it from there, on things you love, things you miss etc. 

- Brought Nintendo to the West, starting with Donkey Kong, in 1981

-Was in creative control behind game releases on the NES / Famicom, and engineered their releases

- Continued the 'Nintendo Seal of Approval' with the SNES and approved games for this.

- Launched and 'had faith' in the Virtual Boy

- Intentionally made the N64 difficult to program for, trying to ensure that 'good' games would be made for it. 

- Released the Gamecube as a powerful, inexpensive, easy to develop for platform

- Owned a whack of the Seattle Mariners because why not

- Retired in 2002 to be repleaced by IWATA

So, I think the best and worst thing that Yamauchi did was the 'quality control' upon the games. Yes, it meant that Nintendo's first party refined and developed some of the most incredible, perfectly honed titles of all time, but it's something that has really hindered them in recent years, and that same mentality still pervades with third party, and getting out titles as a system seller. Still, I commend the man for his attention to quality.

What do you guys think?
  • Regardless of whether you're a Nintendo fan, the industry wouldn't exist without them, and Hiroshi Yamauchi.

R.I.P
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    GG Hiro, all the best!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Probably deserved an obituary photo that didn't make him look like a prisoner of war camp guard vampire paedo.

Had some damn fine times on his consoles, so cheers for that.

On the plus side, at least he doesn't have to suffer watching Iwata take them back to being a playing card manufacturer. Boom.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    In typical Japanese fashion they'd rather fall on their swords *ahem* than conform to western philosophies.

Edit* Conform was the wrong choice of word, embrace would be more suiting.
  • That Nintendo Seal of Approval was very important at the time but I think it also became a hindrance to them in later years.

Its really quite interesting reading up on him. I read he rushed the Virtual Boy out to be a stop gap between SNES-N64 even though Gunpei Yokoi wasn't happy with it at the time and wanted more time on it.

I also read he accused Masahiro Sakurai of being gay after showing him his design for the Kirby character, or maybe thought Kirby was gay? Can't quite remember now.

I think his greatest flaw was his stubbornness. The whole Squaresoft thing speaks for itself and it wasn't until Iwata took over that they built bridges.

Regardless he was a very important player in the industry and it could be a very different hobby without the impact he made.

R.I.P.

5g39.png
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I also read he accused Masahiro Sakurai of being gay after showing him his design for the Kirby character, or maybe thought Kirby was gay? Can't quite remember now.

The former. He's given a lot to the industry no doubt but he was apparently a foul mouthed and authoritarian businessman. Which must be some of the reasoning he did so well.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    He's given a lot to the industry no doubt but he was apparently a foul mouthed and authoritarian businessman. Which must be some of the reasoning he did so well.

... and bad. I wonder what he said to Square when they decided against developing for the N64.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The gaming landscape would certainly look very different right now without his efforts. The N64 years were and still remain the finest gaming years of my life. RIP!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He didn't fare too well from others' opinions in this old doco:

Yokoi was the man.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dude did things his way, and won.

While doing that, he hurt no-one (no malice, at least), brought a lot of happiness to a lot of of people, and created some very, very strong cross-cultural bonds.

Quite a legend, that.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Much respect for the man who insisted on quality, durable products. We need more like him today, not fewer.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Meh.

Agreed, but read this slightly hilarious interview anyway.

They needed to harness the power of the atom to defeat us. 

There's this old American saying that applies to Japan: there's no such thing as a free lunch. 
    Well, there obviously is in America, otherwise, they wouldn't be so goddamn fat. 
  • Although fake, that interview always brings the lulz.
    Believe!
  • ZMM wrote:
    The gaming landscape would certainly look very different right now without his efforts. The N64 years were and still remain the finest gaming years of my life. RIP!

Always good to hear this, couldn't agree more. N64 blew my mind.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The man had an obsession with quality you can only admire.

Those heady days of the Snes and N64 will likely never be repeated. The best and most diverse games producer of all time at the very peak of their powers. Those were indeed the days.
  • Also worth pointing out that the Wii revolution was first announced by Yamauchi. He made a speech deriding the arms race and said the future would be similar hardware with novelty hardware extending the life of consoles. (possibly correct a generation early).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was pretty unrelenting when it came to quality. When there was a flaw revealed in some early Famicoms he recalled the whole lot and replaced them.

The seal of quality thing was the result of watching the shambles that the Atari 2600 library turned into.

The good outweighed the bad on the whole I feel.

And as far as I know Nintendo still make playing cards. I believe Ninty were also in the instant rice and love hotel businesses for a while. You can't say he wasn't into diversification.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'd like a pack of their cards, anyone know where you can get them? Guess eBay might have some?

That love hotel business is almost unbelieveable. They also ran a Taxi firm at one point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd like a pack of their cards, anyone know where you can get them? Guess eBay might have some?

That love hotel business is almost unbelieveable. They also ran a Taxi firm at one point.

Cards were available for stars from the club website. There were mascot-themed regular decks plus hanfuda cards - I was pretty tempted but blew the lot on the SNES controller.

An early lesson they learned about the value of IP and protecting it was when they made a deal with Disney way back to print themed playing card decks which blew the competition away. They seem to have a really good way of retaining lessons from the past and re-using them.

It's amusing looking at the dual screen G+W handhelds and then looking at the DS for example.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Deffo would be no console wars without him. Japan's Steve Jobs. Hiroshi is better than Steve.

Tendo still make cards? You could get some gold plated ones last I went looking. They had some regular polymer coated which had watercolour prints of traditional folklore characters for the suit cards on them.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Note, Steve wasn't a great person and Hiroshi wasn't miles better.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I heard he was a fantastic lover though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Note, Steve wasn't a great person and Hiroshi wasn't miles better.

Dunno... Never met either, but one thing they both had in common was the whole art vs technology thing... You could argue that Yamauchi got there first... Can you imagine? Making Miyamoto a tech project lead, even though he had never touched a computer before he started at Nintendo?

He wanted to make puppets ffs...

Probably the single most profitable hire in the history of business that...

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Didn't they both do quite a bit of charity work?

I know Hiroshi Yamauchi opened a cancer clinic or something along those lines in Japan.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The Saville similarities grow..
  • Didn't they both do quite a bit of charity work?

Didn't Jobs actually stop charity work by Apple when he re-joined the company.

As for Yamauchi, if it weren't for him, gaming as we know it today wouldn't be the same.

Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Didn't they both do quite a bit of charity work?

Didn't Jobs actually stop charity work by Apple when he re-joined the company.

He certainly stopped the company talking publicly about charity work, but then he himself was criticised for not giving to charity because he preferred to keep it anonymous.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/steve-jobs-secretly-gave-millions-to-charity-publically-criticised-for-not-doing-enough/story-e6frfmd9-1226650636880
  • Gonzo wrote:
    I heard he was a pedo.

"Come and see the secret new console".

Possibly the most successful grooming line ever.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Interested in a game, boy?
  • The man responsible for the SNES. 
    Good times, thank u Yamauchi san!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!