Hiroshi Yamauchi
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Note, Steve wasn't a great person and Hiroshi wasn't miles better.

Dunno... Never met either, but one thing they both had in common was the whole art vs technology thing... You could argue that Yamauchi got there first... Can you imagine? Making Miyamoto a tech project lead, even though he had never touched a computer before he started at Nintendo?

He wanted to make puppets ffs...

Probably the single most profitable hire in the history of business that...

I'd never met either though from opinion neither the best of people, ruling with an iron rod, very shrewd and all that old school business/employer mentality, exploiting resources with great benefit to a few of the exploitees.

Indeed the industries they worked in have amassed a great deal of debt to them.

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Interested in a game, boy?

He said that no-one would believe me if I told anyone, and that the headache would pass.

I'm not convinced a Nintendoless landscape would be a poorer one beyond their influence. We simply can't call that for sure. But I do believe the industry would've risen in their absence, with or without their shining contributions.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It would have risen OK but it would have been the poorer for it - no doubt in my mind. Ninty had art designers creating games (shigsy is an arty type too) - not developers.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    So I guess I'll start by listing some of the things the man did, and then we can take it from there, on things you love, things you miss etc.

That's not a list that would fill you with confidence if you were looking to hire him, tbh.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It would have risen OK but it would have been the poorer for it - no doubt in my mind.

I think it depends on what we all enjoy. Super Metroid and GoldenEye weren't typically Nintendo, Rare were British, and the PC of the late-'90s showed very little Eastern influence.

The Master System was trialled before the NES, and Atari were still in the coin-op biz. Without Nintendo, we'd have missed out on the many excellent games they've made, but we'd still have an industry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    So I guess I'll start by listing some of the things the man did, and then we can take it from there, on things you love, things you miss etc.

That's not a list that would fill you with confidence if you were looking to hire him, tbh.

I didn't intend it to be. I wanted it to be stuff that would inspire conversation
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    It would have risen OK but it would have been the poorer for it - no doubt in my mind.
    I think it depends on what we all enjoy. Super Metroid and GoldenEye weren't typically Nintendo, Rare were British, and the PC of the late-'90s showed very little Eastern influence. The Master System was trialled before the NES, and Atari were still in the coin-op biz. Without Nintendo, we'd have missed out on the many excellent games they've made, but we'd still have an industry.

No doubt at all - but it would pretty much be all shooty shooty. Sadly there is precious little that isn't nowadays anyhow.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess it depends if anyone else would have stood up. If Mega had no real competition they'd have been less need for innovation i guess. Or maybe we'd be on DC4 by now?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Or perhaps we'd all be pissed off at Commodore for dropping legacy Workbench support on the Amiga One...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I miss Sega - the world would be worse of if Ninty went the same way.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I didn't intend it to be. I wanted it to be stuff that would inspire conversation
    The man was clearly a liability.  Hark at us, conversing.
  • I do believe at times you're disagreeing with people just for the sake of it these days.
    I can barely scroll through Twitter without a tweet where you're not taking umbridge with someone's opinion.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • It's a sign of dissatisfaction with the self. A need to demonstrate to others as well as self that personal opinions / knowledge / experience are superior, leading to over-compensation.

Much like that statement I just made.

It can be temporary or chronic; I hope it's the former, everyone deserves inner satisfaction.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Umbrage.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    I do believe at times you're disagreeing with people just for the sake of it these days. I can barely scroll through Twitter without a tweet where you're not taking umbridge with someone's opinion.
    I wasn't disagreeing with Reg, just commenting on Yamauchi's decision making.

I certainly have no desire to demonstrate superior knowledge or opinions, because I don't have any.

I will put my hand up and say that I find tweets or posts or whatever of people agreeing with each other entirely a bit boring and pointless.

Hey ho.  Here I am, disagreeing with someone again.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    I do believe at times you're disagreeing with people just for the sake of it these days. I can barely scroll through Twitter without a tweet where you're not taking umbridge with someone's opinion.
    I wasn't disagreeing with Reg, just commenting on Yamauchi's decision making. I certainly have no desire to demonstrate superior knowledge or opinions, because I don't have any. I will put my hand up and say that I find tweets or posts or whatever of people agreeing with each other entirely a bit boring and pointless. Hey ho.  Here I am, disagreeing with someone again.

It's an endless cycle.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I recently picked up the book "Game Over", and have found it a fascinating read so far, not just into Yamauchi's life but also a more intricate and close look at some of the business decisions that were made. Looking forward to reading the rest of it, and his idea of licensing out software has certainly become an industry mainstay (App Store!).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!