This Gen's Curios
  • Zack & Wiki on the Wii.  It's quite well known amongst Wii owners who delved deeper than the major first party offerings, there's not much like it on other consoles.  Loved it, and even managed to get the missus to play the whole thing (although we never beat the final level iirc).

Sticking with the Wii: MotoHeroz and Hydroventure on Wiiware.  The first is a fun, Trials-lite kind of obstacle racer by Red Lynx, and the latter is a Metroidvania type game crossed with Mercury Meltdown Revolution.  Both were great. 

Will think of some more tomorrow.
  • Shadows of the Damned. I'm not entirely sure how much I liked it. But it was certainly different.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    AJ_ wrote:
    The last level in story mode is actually a full-on sandbox, which is one of the best things ever to play if you're stoned.
    On the last level I found it impossible to block volcanoes that i'd created. So it was a constant battle to save the huge amounts of flora and fauna that had spawned from roving firestorms. In turn, I had to deal with tsunamis I made by dumping huge amounts of water and earth everywhere. In a way it just goes to lengths to prove the majesty of nature and how i'm an idiot with planning. In short, loved From Dust. It just needed a bit more content.

You did realise you could turn the volcanos off, yes? They were meant to be run for a bit to build up land, then turned off, maybe changed into a nice mountain lake or something. Other option is to dig a chunk out of the side so the lava runs out and creates a nice piece of flat land.

I would have really liked more story levels, too, but found the challenge mode pretty full; I still haven't finished it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    @scout Was it different? I played Resident Evil 4 with Suda 51 sex jokes. The storybook reading bits were my favourite parts.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Am I the only one on the forum who played El Shaddai? Man, if only a game could be great on a designer's visual fidelity alone.

I have it. It's awesome.
  • I have it, but it was boring as fuck.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I liked the bit where you crash a fallen angel's music gig and his dance moves keep obscuring the screen.
  • Ooh, does Heavy Rain count? I don't see much general media and ignore the charts, so don't know if it lived up to it's budget.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Never got round to El Shaddai. If its only flaw is that it's boring tosh then I'll probably love it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Never got round to El Shaddai. If its only flaw is that it's boring tosh then I'll probably love it.

No... No. It's an iridescent saucer of shite. 
    But don't let me stop you.

My only real contribution for now, is Machinarium, which is very much a game of this gen', but probably felt like an anachronism to most. And Frozen Synapse, which sits in my collection with all it's critical accolades, unwrapped...

Has anyone played the game enough to shed some light on it? I took a quick look at it, but found that it did indeed freeze my synapses, for it was one extremely complicated badger to play...

I kopped it, because it was going for a song, and Edge 9's don't come easy.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Big up Enslaved and Pixeljunk Monsters. Oh and Mirror's Edge for reasons I've said previously that I'll dig up at some point.

Little King's Story (not finished yet though)
    Dust 514
    That game where you could control fighters, bombers, subs, carriers, battleships etc. Set in pacific WW2. Only good in multiplayer.
    Marble Blast Ultra
    Fuel
    Linger In Shadows (not really a game I know)
    The Outfit? Tanks and turrets airdropped wherever, pretty epic lols in splitscreen.
    Medal Of Honour Airborne - Leaning system was really cool, still quite dissapointed it hasn't been used elsewhere.

Just a few things off the top of my head.
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqih6vW-eNMrcqwJn3Gd2djQ2gWIr5zFlkg1P2v6jB3cJnI5c7

Charming old-school Zelda homage by From, that takes so much, ahem, inspiration (enemies, items, mechanics etc) from the first one in particular, that I'm surprised Nintendo didn't sue. It's a love letter to lots of RPG's of the recent and not so recent past too.
    It's unique visual style, knowing humour, and really cool permanent dash mechanic - an evolved version of the one in ALTTP - off the top of my head, made it much more than just a well executed clone..... a gem, and the only one I can think of atm, that's not already been mentioned.
  • Terraria was a decent laugh if you gave it the proper time.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna collate these into a "we recpmmend" list. Because I'm off today and GTA ain't comin. Please keep it to 3!
  • Keeping it to curios would be a better start.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Far Cry Blood Fucker should probably go in eh.

3D dotu game herro is an excellent choice.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh yeah, unfinished swan.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Little King's Story (not finished yet though)
    Oh yeah, that's a good one. And finish it, the ending's... interesting.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    VVVVVV and The Bridge are going in for me. I'm pondering my third...

(taking this gen to mean last few years even if pc)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just ordered Front Mission Evolved because of Webbins. I can see this thread costing me some money, I now appear to be addicted to eBay.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    @scout Was it different? I played Resident Evil 4 with Suda 51 sex jokes. The storybook reading bits were my favourite parts.
    I had no idea what to expect so I think the tone in general made it feel different. But gameplay wise I agree. Though it did have those unexpected side scroller sections. They were definitely different!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    VVVVVV and The Bridge are going in for me. I'm pondering my third...

(taking this gen to mean last few years even if pc)

Cough OP cough
  • Does Vanquish count or was it too mainstream? That's my game of the generation. Nigh on perfect (save one section stuck on a shopping trolley moving at about 5mph [not a real shopping trolley])
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vanquish is a good shout
  • I've hardly tried any of the games listed in here.
  • Plan, cancel your next gen pre-order and divert your funds into some of these games. I'll have to pick up Vanquish at some point, criminal to let that one pass.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • dieNPts.png

Everybody's Golf: World Tour
    Once you get past the horrible amount of updates and mandatory install, you eventually get to a game so cheery and wonderful, it makes you forget who Tiger Woods is. Great course design makes this a fantastic game to wile away those lazy Sunday's. also perfect for those cold winter nights coming up. Sunshine in a game.

1KTXV0O.png

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
    Originally brought out to serve as an appetiser for the ill-fated reboot, this game turned out to be way better than it, and probably any other BC game there's been. Extremely tight controls panned out over a good-sized story mode, including some of the best original(ish) music I've heard in a game, it's a stormer. And it's probably the first digital-only title I fell in love with, and sold me on it as a means to getting great small-to-medium sized games out there.

VuWScey.png

Binary Domain
    What's left for me to say about this game on here? It's a stone-cold classic. For those not in the know, it's a cover-based robots-go-bad shooter from the folk behind the Yakuza series. And it features a talking French robot that is your ally. And the hammiest delivery of terrible dialogue this side of Confidential Mission. And BIG BO.
    But srsly, it's a fantastically competent shooter with fantastic enemies that you'll never tire of shooting in the face. It's great. Go get it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gav doing it with proper layout n everything
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was thinking about Alpha Protocol too.
  • Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a great game.

Deadly Premonition is one of the best of all time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!