Dying Light, a next-gen Dead Island...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Heh. Must have a look for that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow wrote:
    Can't make Russia work either - that familiar 'use another payment method' message.

I had that whilst using my mobile but once I got home and connected to wifi it worked a treat after setting up the account correctly ( billing address and home address that match)
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • This continues to be awesome.
    It's not a FPS, it's a zombie RPG. 
    I'm 20 hours in and 38% complete, and I'm now sufficiently bad ass to really start getting the best from it.
    Everything has to be crafted and/or scavenged, but in the context of the gameworld this really works.
    It's a massive game. I'm still in the shanty town part of the city and have reached a natural point in the main story where I can sack it off for a while and just explore and hoover up side quests in this part of the huge map.
    This is brilliant fun. Spent the last couple of hours just unlocking the final safe houses in this part of the map, exploring, dicking about with zeds and doing side-quests.
    While I'm reasonably bad-ass now, it's still easy to get into situations where you can be quickly overwhelmed by zeds if you don't plan things right. It's all risk/reward.
    The grafficks and the lighting continue to seriously impress, and the sound design and the score are both quite brilliant.
    It certainly doesn't re-invent the sandbox wheel (all the mission types you'd expect in a game like this are present and correct), but what it borrows from other games it incorporates brilliantly into it's world. The parkour element really is fantastic. So much so that it'll be hard to go back to games that don't let you do this.
    It's a long slow burn of a game and the time it takes to level your guy up is substantially long. You are pitifully underpowered for a very long time at the start, but again in the context of the game I personally didn't mind this. Others will doubtless disagree. The pay-off of reaching a satisfying level of bad-assness shouldn't be underestimated. Very satisfying.
    It's the first game I've played since FarCry2 IMO that has absolutely nailed the sense of place.

so far, so good

g.man
  • Where do you enter your home address on the site??
    Xbox / PSN - DongleUnlimited
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    One thing myself and g haven't mentioned yet, is that this game has a similar levelling system to Skyrim, in that you level a stat the more you use it - so if leaping & bounding around the rooftops and avoiding conflict is your forte, your agility will rise faster than combat.

Personally, I've been going out my way to make sure all my stats remain equal. Jack of all trades.
  • g.man wrote:
    18hrs in, 38% complete
    g.man wrote:
    I'm 20 hours in and 38% complete

It really is slow going then!
  • @Curtis
    Yeah, I guessed it was a similar system, but not having played Sky-Rim I couldn't be sure.
  • g.man wrote:
    18hrs in, 38% complete
    g.man wrote:
    I'm 20 hours in and 38% complete
    It really is slow going then!
    Heh. I've been off-piste for a couple of hours.
  • It's either this or Battlefield then. Hmmm...
  • Get this. I don't want you pissing on my BF chips.
    ;-)
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I want this now but I'm not paying Roubles so I'll wait for the physical and finish Alien/Dragon Age.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @ g.man - Have you done the side-mission 'Voltage'? 

You get so many bags of loot from the dead Zeds. Although the final part which has to be done at night, was a panic-induced, wrong button mashing, struggle to stay alive. lol!
  • Dunno. I'll check when I get home.
    Did they Destiny Loot Cave. Top lol that.
    Have you found the EXPcalibur sword yet?
  • Looking at the time difference, me and Sparky could be playing by 8 or 9 o'clock tonight.

Doing the early night feed so will be up, just hope it's not like it has been this week of feeding her at 11 and going to bed at 1 playing Witcher 2 and then waking up for at 6.30 completely fucked
  • Mind you if i did, I'd be enjoying it i suppose
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm out.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 26hrs in. Still 38% complete. Game has now reached legendary status.
    It starts solid and just keeps getting better and better. It's one of those insidiously good games that slowly draws you into its world and then doesn't let go.
    Climbed the cables up to the top of the broken suspension bridge last night. As a mild vertigo sufferer, it was utterly hair raising. Shades of the tower from Crackdown.
    Also did that Voltage sub-quest Curtis mentioned. Without giving too much away, I ended up sitting on the roof of a hut surrounded by about a hundred zeds, waiting for the night to fall so I could throw the switch down below to spring the trap.
    As I watched the sun slowly ebb below the horizon and the guy came over my radio to wish me good night and good luck, it dawned on me just how perfectly apt the title of the game is. It was incredibly tense not knowing what was going to happen when darkness fell.
    Bottom line, this shits all over every other next gen title I've played in the last year from a very great hight.

staggeringly good

g.man
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Shades of the tower from Crackdown.

Favourite bit in the whole game :-)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh fuck, so I have to play this now?  As if I don't have enough to do, JESUS CHRIST YOU PEOPLE
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I hate g an his obnoxious enthusiasm for games I really shouldn't buy.

NNNNNGGGGG

• The mechanics are so well thought out. I have plenty of guns now (every bullet is precious), but the noise they make will attract the newly infected to my area. These are runners, and they will hunt you down and climb after you unlike the generic shamblers. What happens when you attack them is a very neat twist.

Having sacked off the main story line for the last day, I have decided that the tower dwellers who initially rescued me are all wankers, so I've taken up residence with a small group of heavily armed mercs on a floating dock to the north-east. They don't say much (which I like), but they're armed to the teeth. I just pop in to the tower now when needs must. 
    Went there last night for the first time in quite a while and it caught me by surprise how their little community were just holed up together going about their business. Eating, sleeping, cooking, children playing. After so much time away from them I genuinely felt like an outsider. Strange how these games can affect you.

If I'm far from the dock when night falls, I now like to stand on the roof of a safe house and watch the sun go down. I'll turn on the radio and watch all the zeds below that the noise it makes attracts, safe in the knowledge that they can't get me here, and wait for morning.

gone native

g.man
  • I told my mate about this game. He loves Zombie stuff. He was clueless it existed and hasn't bought a game for his PS4 for months. I showed him a five minute Youtube vid and he bought it right there and then.

He's gone sick today...
  • He's probably infected. Shoot him now, just in case.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Two in the head, burn what remains.
  • As I mentioned earlier, I was up on the suspension bridge last night doing a sub-quest. There are literally hundreds of zeds up there and it's littered with abandoned vehicles. It's like a scene from The Walking Dead.
    Fortunately I had plenty of my new favourite toy with me, the shrapnel bomb. It's a grenade that when thrown initially detonates fire crackers for about five seconds, the noise of which attracts all the zeds in the vicinity, and then once they've shambled over for a look it then goes off proper and blows them all to kingdom come. 
    These bought me enough time to find what I was looking for, but I was still overwhelmed by the sheer number of zeds and ended up having to swan dive off the bridge into the sea below.

clean-up in aisle five

g.man
  • I'm liking the sound of this. Especially the explosive stuff. Can you get mines and C4 and stuff?
  • Off the top of my head, so far I can craft about four different variants of grenade and four different variants of bomb. The amount of stuff you can craft is huge, but you're going to be quite far into the game before you start getting the really tasty stuff.

I usually hate games with all this crafting bobbins, but I've grown to love it in this one. Need a health pack? Then you're either going to have to buy, find or craft one. I've started doing supply runs around the city just to keep my inventory topped up.
    At safe houses you have an inventory bag, and everything you collect can be stored in it. Then you have your back-pack which goes with you and will hold a tonne of stuff that can choose to equip stuff from while you're out and about.
    Stuff that you no longer want/need can either be broken down for mechanical parts or sold to the quartermaster or just dropped.
    It just all seems so logical in the context of the game world. You're alone and trapped in the zed apocalypse and you have to work to get everything you need to survive. 
    For once there is a believable point to it all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!