Science, it definitely still works bitches.
  • You think a fridge works by using a heating element? Does this in any way strike you as odd?
  • You lot are rubbish geeks. I bet you don't even know how a fridge works.

Endothermic reactions n stuff, science hooorah!
  • You think a fridge works by using a heating element? Does this in any way strike you as odd?
    Isn't that the nature of an endothermic reaction?  You put heat in and get a negative return on your investment?

EDIT:  This is why I'm not a scientist or a heating engineer or...
  • What happens when you compress a gas? Therefore, what happens when a gas expands?

When my internet is working again I'm going to start a thread on this kind of stuff.
  • I just skim-read about how a fridge works and it made sense, sort of.
  • Good, because it's so simple I'm amazed you've not wondered about it before.

I actually know someone who thought the seasons were caused be the slight elliptical orbit of the Earth, despite the fact we were walking home in the snow and he was soon to be holidaying in Australia.
  • What are the seasons caused by then?
  • I'm not rising to that.
  • Tilt of the earth, innit.
  • I expect you'd be surprised how many people don't know.
  • I expect you're right. No wonder religion is rife. It can happen to the educated too. It took someone in my astronomy class about two full weeks to properly understand why there are two high tides a day.
  • Try explaining the synchronous rotation of the moon to my mum.

Mind you, she has to reteach me long-division every few years.
  • My Dad taught me long division and did electrical engineering at Uni. He doesn't believe in quantum physics. Actually called it "a bunch of shite". Parents eh?
  • He doesn't believe in quantum physics. Actually called it "a bunch of shite". Parents eh?
    Having started a degree in Physics, I'm with your dad.  It is a total pile of shite.
  • You should talk to Some_Guy over in the God forum. He is also of the pile of shite persuasion.
  • Seriously, I changed from Physics to English Literature so I could read some more believable fiction.  At least English Lit. spends less time trying to convince you of its legitimacy.

I rank quantum mechanics up there with Human Resources as two areas of expertise that have entirely invented themselves, and validated themselves based on things they alone assumed in the first place.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Quantum mechanics and relativity were my favourite subjects as an undergrad.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I visit other threads too :-) I suspect that QM is not all bunch of shite, just the bits that don't actually make logical sense given how that are talked about.
  • The quantum world doesn't work in the same way as the world around us because different laws of physics apply at that scale. These laws are never encountered by us until we study quantum mechanics, which is why they seem so strange. 

Why's that a bunch of shite?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    The quantum world doesn't work in the same way as the world around us because different laws of physics apply at that scale. These laws are never encountered by us until we study quantum mechanics, which is why they seem so strange.

Bingo.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I don't disagree.  What I am pointing out is that things which do not make sense, do not explain anything.  There is no world in which nonsense = sense.
  • Some_Guy wrote:
    I don't disagree.  What I am pointing out is that things which do not make sense, do not explain anything.  There is no world in which nonsense = sense.
    The transistors in the computer you typed that post on came about as a direct consequence of understanding electron movement at the quantum level.
  • And you can't really pick and choose 'good' and 'bad' bits of QM on the basis of how much sense they make, since really fundamental building blocks of it don't make sense from a classical perspective, like wave-particle duality. 

And if the implications of these theories are experimentally verifiable in the classical world, surely that  equates to sense.
  • Maybe some grand unifying theory will explain quantum phenomena in a way that is more intuitively pleasing, but it won't change the underlying reality that the quantum universe is extremely weird and operates under conditions most people will never have any contact with.  

Not claiming anything in the way of great expertise here btw. 
    Midway through a degree.
  • Explain the theoretical reason for the results of the double slit experiment as put forward in mainstream QM and explain how it is valid, and then provide empirical evidence that demonstrates that the theory is sound.
  • I am surprised how often I use the combined gas law:

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

To explain shit to people.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It doesn't increase my resistance to being killed to death by electricity? Fridges work by keeping the door shut to keep the cold in.

You're confusing lightning strikes and nuclear blasts

Yeaaaaaahhhh

high five.
  • Some_Guy wrote:
    Explain the theoretical reason for the results of the double slit experiment as put forward in mainstream QM and explain how it is valid, and then provide empirical evidence that demonstrates that the theory is sound.
    Copenhagen interpretation => quantum entanglement => Bell Test Experiments.

It's sound in as much as it produces a way of predicting and working with quantum phenomena. It doesn't need to be definitive.
  • Some_Guy wrote:
    Explain the theoretical reason for the results of the double slit experiment as put forward in mainstream QM and explain how it is valid, and then provide empirical evidence that demonstrates that the theory is sound.

It's perhaps best that my internet connection is currently borked, and we've talked about this before of course, but the Universe does not seem to give a fuck if the implications of the ds experiment make us feel uncomfortable!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!