Bear and Badger perceptions of mortality
  • Children. It's a touchy subject. To some, it's a reason to live. To others, it's a crutch to make you hang on.
    You obviously need to be secure in yourselves to have kids. In all walks of life kids are a brave decision. To some they have saved their lives. It's tough, but what decisions in life aren't (new consoles excluded -_-)
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oddly enough I don't even think about it at all when I'm with mrs reg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And I do think that a little reg will get all of that out of me. New set of priorities beyond myself :D
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do need to get out of this thread so I can go to sleep though :)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    And I do think that a little reg will get all of that out of me. New set of priorities beyond myself :D

Thats my man, reg
  • Have kids reg. You'll worry more about them dying then you ever will yourself. It's not an anxiety cure, but at least it's a shift in anxiety toward someone else.
  • No kids (really) mentioned, which just goes to show how awesome parents are.
  • Ok.....to clarify

I made this thread for people where life situations ahve made themselves realise they may not be as young as they thought and life events have affected them to make them realise that things are mor e important and should be looked at more objectively.

For anyone who feels they may have more underlying, personal issues where what is described here could be seen as trivial (and it can be) then you should really got to Blue Swirl's thread about mental illness. A truly heartwarming and supportive thread for anyone who feels life is just getting on the, a bit too much.

Peace out.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples

• According to that list, i will die with no regrets, i win at death! Fuck yea
  • Exactly. You doing it right.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fwiw I'm generally fine. I've been mostly on top of panic attacks, and I'm not a bloody idealist. Just weirds me out.

In areas where I know in getting older, it doesn't help that this years influx of s1 pupils I'll be teaching were likely born after 9/11 even happened
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also look at the op for the thread of the dead.

IRONY
  • There's always other shit things happening to remind them of
  • Give Mrs.reg a big kiss, enjoy both your youth and old age, be happy, die.

You can't ask for more than that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If I could fave a post I would
  • I am but a novice in matters of therapy but have had experience of hypnotherapy and I'm currently delving pretty deeply into mindfulness/meditation amongst other things. I've had all kinds of anxiety problems, depression and other psychological and psychosomatic difficulties throughout my life and am only now coming to appreciate just how powerful simple therapeutic ideas can be in conquering such things.

The hypnotherapist I've been seeing lately has some possibly useful info here

Mindfulness is an age-old practice which can be very effective day-to-day for tackling anxieties, depression etc. One of the better books on the subject; I'm working my way through it now and it's really impressing me. It's a subject which has seemingly limitless depth and richness to offer.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cheers Igor.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oddly enough one of my favourite expressions, or cliches, is "life's too short."

Eg - guys. Look at the fucking next gen thread. Life's too short.

Right. Have to go to sleep now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've been shot at a number of times, been in a vehicle that was hit by an IED and had a 107mm Chinese rocket land less 10 meters away from me while I slept. If I was a cat I would probably have 1 life left.
  • I dont see there being all that much to it i suppose. Well, theres loads to it, i could talk your ear off. But you'll be alright, all of you.
  • Second go at typing this (public transport wi-fi, yo).

Gunn's posts on euthanasia reminded me of that Terry Pratchett documentary.  A very interesting watch. I remember, in the final distressing scene, being annoyed by a particular staff member.  In her too-keen approach to giving one of the patients (customers?) a caring send off, she grasped his head to her bosom, forcing his wife to just hold his hand, denying the wife the opportunity to hug her husband as he went. Mi couldn't help but think the wife would resent it all later.

I've also realised, that documentary aired when I had recently broken up with a girlfriend of about eighteen months who thought I was going to marry her.  It affected me even more, as relationships ending is a time I often think about my own mortality.  This thread has come shortly after I have just broken up with a girlfriend of about eighteen months who thought I was going to marry her.

Coincidences suck.
  • I've been shot at a number of times, been in a vehicle that was hit by an IED and had a 107mm Chinese rocket land less 10 meters away from me while I slept. If I was a cat I would probably have 1 life left.

And hit by hail. In the face.
  • For the avoidance of doubt, given the misunderstandings already in this thread, I've not been thinking about my own mortality in a helping-it-along type way.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I've also realised, that documentary aired when I had recently broken up with a girlfriend of about eighteen months who thought I was going to marry her.  It affected me even more, as relationships ending is a time I often think about my own mortality.  This thread has come shortly after I have just broken up with a girlfriend of about eighteen months who thought I was going to marry her. Coincidences suck.

You need a girlfriend, preferably one who thinks you're going to marry her.
  • Right now that's the last thing I need.  Although that's probably what you meant.
  • To clarify myself, my intended end will hopefully not be for a long time

And if it happens how i described, with my partner alongside me, noone else will be in the room, and i guess whoever closes their eyes first, goes, and whoevers left has smile, rmembers the love, and closes their eyes next

Very idealistic thinking, but i'd just want us both to die knowing we loved each other to the end

Man this is getting mushy

I dont care about my own death, ive been exposed to it so often, that as an individual its not a probkem one way or the other. When it comes to my partner, i care what my death could do to her, and vice versa. If the kids are ok with it, and the plan stays the same, then thats the way i'd like to go. Everyone else else better get out of the fecking room though
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've been shot at a number of times, been in a vehicle that was hit by an IED and had a 107mm Chinese rocket land less 10 meters away from me while I slept. If I was a cat I would probably have 1 life left.
    And hit by hail. In the face.
    That was the worst. Felt like the end of days.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Right now that's the last thing I need.  Although that's probably what you meant.

Only in jest. But seriously, be wary of people who like you. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!