Gran Turismo 6 Released December 6: OP Updated
  • My dad's birthday. Maybe I should get him a PS4 and this.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    'Gran Turismo Sport's single player content is as limited as we feared...'

https://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Gran-Turismo-Sports-single-player-content-is-as-limited-as-we-feared
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • There's a lot of news filtering through at the moment.. but yes apparently it's limited to what sounds suspiciously like licence tests.. apparently the photo mode is amazing though! So that was time well spent.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Reading that it sounds pretty good. A decent batch of challenges to get you up to speed and some guidance on etiquette online could lead to some enjoyable races where people aren't giving out about the usual AI problems and rubber-banding.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • It would.. but online racing is nearly always awful with randoms... and I can't see PD revolutionising that.

It'll be frustrating as fuck.
    The Forum Herald™
  • There's probably a lot of people who jump online to have a go but if they are deterred by a lack of SP content and maybe penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, it could (maybe) turn out all the better.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm really pleased with the single player, it's usually really boring and licence tests have always been my favourite part. Leaderboards make it pretty compelling for me.

Online is all about finding like-minded racers and organising stuff. Who knows, maybe the new driver rating and sportsmanship rating, or whatever it is called now, will actually work (very long shot).
  • Bob wrote:

I just picked up PSVR last weekend now that they are bundling the camera and a game with it. I have been blown away by it so far, in particular DriveClub VR, so I can't wait for the new GT.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I just picked up PSVR last weekend now that they are bundling the camera and a game with it. I have been blown away by it so far, in particular DriveClub VR, so I can't wait for the new GT.

Ah you might be the man to ask then.. do you need to play with a wheel to get the most out of it or is it ok with a pad?
    The Forum Herald™
  • The Gran Turismo edition with limited edition PS4 controller is selling out in alot of places
  • Bob wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Ah you might be the man to ask then.. do you need to play with a wheel to get the most out of it or is it ok with a pad?

I've found it to be fine with just the pad, but then I don't have a wheel. I have strangely found it easier to control with the pad in VR than the original. I don't know if it is the viewpoint or whatever. I find the immersion in the game astounding, both in cockpit view and bumper cam. I spend ages just marvelling at the snowy environments with the little puffs blowing off the cliff tops.

I take it VR version is only certain tracks and not the full game in VR?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bob wrote:

Based on 5 and 6: fine with a pad, but handicapped by assistance that can't be turned off. It barely matters through sweepers — it's beneficial, even — but you have to endure a delay for maximum lock around hairpins. Sometimes you want to use more lock than necessary, just to momentarily upset the car into a four-wheel drift, and you can't do that. It's like having enforced understeer.

That said, even with a wheel the physics are wrong. You know what I always say: you haven't been able to maintain an opposite-lock doughnut since the original; cars autosnap out of them in all subsequent versions.

Writers bang on about cockpit details, but that's all for nothing if the driving isn't convincing.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Bob wrote:

I've found it to be fine with just the pad, but then I don't have a wheel. I have strangely found it easier to control with the pad in VR than the original. I don't know if it is the viewpoint or whatever. I find the immersion in the game astounding, both in cockpit view and bumper cam. I spend ages just marvelling at the snowy environments with the little puffs blowing off the cliff tops.

I take it VR version is only certain tracks and not the full game in VR?
    Only 1v1 against the computer , I think. Which is disappointing. But Eurogamer were impressed though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-22-gran-turismo-sport-acquits-itself-well-in-vr

Dirt Rally VR is the one to get , it's amazing
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • If only someone had linked to that Article 6 posts ago.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Driveclub vr is great fun with a pad.

Dirt rally vr is great but hard as nails.
    (im hoping to get a steeringwheel close to christmas and see if its easier)

Gt sport vr is amazingly good!
    This is Going off 2 goes at egx, 1v1 multiplayer and then a time trial on brands hatch on pro mode (no assists) to win a pspro.
    (i really hope the steeringwheel dream is true for this game, its exciting)

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You'll want a stand, as well. I think the decent ones are about £60.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Dirt Rally VR is the one to get , it's amazing

I have that too but haven’t got round to having a shot at it yet.
  • Only 162 cars in the game. Compared to Forza 7 700 cars. Also no skylines (boo).
  • There are 4 versions of the Hydundai Genesis though...

The lack of tracks is more of a concern (no Spa, Monza, Silverstone etc) but as long as there are enough car series and they feel substantially different it should be ok.

Sounding more like a Prologue 7 + mind.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It still has worse tyre physics than the original! Note the direction of the front wheels at 0:45:

A skilled driver can hold a RWD car in a countersteer-drift for ages, even in a smaller circle than that (I once saw a driver use one finger to hold the wheel in place to show that it's all in the foot). The tyre physics in Gran Turismo allow for this, but its cars don't break traction soon enough due to rev-limiter bounce. Gran Turismo 2 introduced autosnap corrections after a car had ‘lost’ control for so long; you either lose it or it rights you.

I'll upload my quick attempt when YouTube's working again, but I could only get a wide drift by alternating countersteering with neutral, and when I held countersteer (somewhat mildly) I had to increase power to maintain it, and that initiates the game's autosnap correction. They've done very little to their tyres since GT5; well, technically it's an enforced steering aid, not the tyres themselves.
  • I'm sure in one of the GTs the license tests made you do donuts to train you in throttle control 

Are you sure your turning all the aids off Escape?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm sure in one of the GTs the license tests made you do donuts to train you in throttle control 

Are you sure your turning all the aids off Escape?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    'Course.

It's still impossible to countersteer-drift realistically without the game autocorrecting your car. Here's an example of what should be achievable:

In real life, this kind of drift can be held with just one finger on the wheel, as there's very-little-to-no steering required, and it's almost entirely controlled with the throttle. During countersteer-drifts in Gran Turismo games, there's a hidden correction aid that enforces autocorrect when applying necessarily high levels of throttle to maintain the drift at high steering angles. This is a fundamental inaccuracy for any would-be sim.

All driver aids were off, with hard sports tyres. Hard comforts are naturally more slippery, but the game still autocorrects your car. If anyone can replicate Kovalainen's drifts in the video above, please upload a video to prove me wrong!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I don't tend to measure a racing game by its physics, or whether it's sim or arcade, I measure it on the fun scale and I'm having a fair bit with this, especially the rallying, it's so easy to hold a slide.

I'm talking G29 and bumper cam, the other views don't feel quite as good.
  • That's what I wanted to hear bird, trading pc2 for this,
    The Forum Herald™
  • Really enjoyed hot-lapping on this today. Seems like a prettier, more stable version of the Ps3 GTs.

Doesn't seem to have evolved much otherwise - and I'm not really into online racing - so I'll likely pickup a GOTY edition down the road. Hopefully they'll add a few more road cars + classic tracks in the meantime.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!