Castlevania - What a horrible night to have a curse
  • I played Goemon 2 on emulator recently. It's really worth giving it a go. I tried 3 as well but there's a lot of Jap text and it would probably need translating to get much out of it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you want a Goemon fix and have an N64, the 2nd one on that console was a return to the SNES style. Excellent and rock hard too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ah yes, I've been hunting for that game for a long time. I heard it has a really good soundtrack too.

I've only got its 3D predecessor which feels like a half baked Zelda in many ways. It's still charming but I never finished it.
  • I like the castle silhouette set against the blood moon section. I'd lose the skull though, seems a bit tacky and obvious.
  • Did anyone play Lord of Shadow 2?

I been thinking of taking a risk now its getting cheap.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think it sounded too crap so I didnt go for it. Plus the 3DS game was rubbish so I gacve up on the series. Needs a new developer.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, it did sound a bit too rubbish. I also couldn't really get into the original again when I played it recently.
  • Cool, looks like thats one game less to play on PS3 before I make the jump to PS4.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've played both the second and the first. Loved this first one, it came at just the right time for me when I was looking for something a bit brainless, but with the feel of an epic game. The missus was really entertained watching me play that one too. 

The sequel is really poor. It has a weird open world thing going on, but the level design is abysmal. And you spend far too much time running around modern day car-parks / factories / labs.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • https://chi-scroller.com/2016/05/26/all-34-castlevania-games-ranked-from-worst-to-best/

All 34 Castlevania Games Ranked from Worst to Best

34. Castlevania (N64)
    castlevania-64.png?w=150&h=113
    Even without the troubled development cycle, it’s hard to imagine that anything salvageable could’ve come from the framework seen here.

33. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (X360/PS3/PC)
    los-2.jpg?w=150&h=94
    A promising reboot of the franchise as a hack-n-slash action game is followed up by a misguided and poorly-made stealth game that accomplishes the rare video game feat of having worse visuals than its predecessor.

32. Castlevania Judgement (Wii)
    judgement.jpg?w=150&h=113
    The sloppy motion-controlled fighting would’ve been bad enough, but the terrible character designs and awful story lines–Maria is literally on a quest for bigger boobs–sealed this unfortunate deal.

31. Haunted Castle (Arcade)
    haunted-castle.jpg?w=150&h=131
    This game is reminiscent of all those great NES ports of sub par arcade games, only in this case, it was a sub par arcade port of a great NES game.

30. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate (3DS/X360/PS3/PC)
    los-mof.jpg?w=150&h=90
    An (unsuccessful) attempt to combine the action of the 3D Castlevanias with the exploration of the 2D installments, all within some of the most awkward 2.5D in video game history.

29. Castlevania: Order of Shadows (Mobile)
    order-of-shadows.jpg?w=150&h=150
    Not half bad for a pre-smartphone Castlevania mobile game (especially one that wasn’t made by Gameloft), but that’s a pretty low quality bar to meet.

28. Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
    legacy-of-darkness.png?w=150&h=109
    Not so much a true sequel to Castlevania 64 as an attempt to actually finish the game that C64 was supposed to be, Legacy is markedly better but ultimately still a poor attempt at a 3D Castlevania.

27. Castlevania Legends (GB)
    castlevania-legends.jpg?w=150&h=136
    There isn’t anything especially bad about this rare female-led Castlevania game, but there also isn’t anything particularly remarkable about it, either.

26. Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (XBX/PS2)
    curse-of-darkness1.jpg?w=150&h=113
    The first sequel to the first decent 3D Castlevania (Lament of Innocence) is also decent, but doesn’t do enough to fix the things that its predecessor didn’t get quite right.

25. Castlevania: The Arcade (Arcade)
    castlevania-the-arcade.jpg?w=150&h=113
    Castlevania fans weren’t asking for a House of the Dead-style light gun game, but they got this kind of fun but completely unnecessary title anyway.

24. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (XBLA/PSN)
    harmony-of-despair.jpg?w=150&h=84
    A multiplayer Castlevania game is definitely an intriguing idea, but it’s too bad that so much depth had to be stripped out just for the sake of multiplayer functionality.

23. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
    castlevania-the-adventure.jpg?w=150&h=135
    Like many early third-party NES-to-Game Boy transitions, The Adventure is passable but struggles to work around the handheld’s limitations.

22. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
    lament-of-innocence.jpg?w=150&h=113
    Despite its linearity and focus on action over exploration, Lament is a solid title that is one of the only 3D Castlevania games to still “feel” like an actual Castlevania game.

21. Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night (iOS/WP)
    castlevania-puzzle.jpg?w=150&h=100
    Following in the tradition of Capcom’s Puzzle Fighter, Encore takes an unlikely franchise and turns it into a surprisingly fun puzzle game.

20. Vampire Killer (MSX2)
    vampire-killer-msx2.png?w=150&h=132
    Being forced to work within the technical limitations of the MSX2 led to Castlevania‘s first dipping of its toe into “Metroidvania” territory.

19. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (X360/PS3)
    lords-of-shadow.jpg?w=150&h=84
    It may have more in common with Devil May Cry and God of War than classic Castlevania, but Lords of Shadow was still an interesting modern AAA take on the franchise that was unfortunately sunk by a disappointing sequel (see #33).

18. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
    belmonts-revenge.jpg?w=150&h=135
    The best of the three Game Boy Castlevania games, with a bit more visual polish Belmont’s Revenge is almost good enough to have been an NES entry.

17. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
    the-adventure-rebirth.jpg?w=150&h=113
    There may have been classic Castlevania games far more worthy of a full-on remake than Game Boy’s Adventure, but ReBirth ended up being one of the biggest gems on Wii’s largely underwhelming WiiWare store.

16. Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)
    castlevania-chronicles.png?w=150&h=113
    Speaking of strange decisions, this one is a PS1 remake of an obscure Sharp X68000 remake of the original Castlevania–and a great “classic Castlevania” oasis in the middle of its Metroidvania renaissance.

15. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
    circle-of-the-moon.png?w=150&h=100
    By far the toughest of all of the post-Symphony Metroidvania entries, Circle has its flaws but was still a great introduction to the franchise’s acclaimed GBA/NDS era.

14. Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (NES)
    simons-quest.jpg?w=150&h=112
    Yes, the objectives are obtuse and the villagers are liars, but Simon’s Quest was a great sequel that took a glorified tribute to Universal movie monsters and turned it into a franchise with its own distinct world and mythos.

13. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)
    dracula-x-snes.png?w=150&h=113
    This streamlined and stripped-down remake of Rondo of Blood was a disappointment to Rondo followers, but a great 16-bit Castlevania for those that didn’t know what they were “missing.”

12. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
    harmony-of-dissonance.jpg?w=150&h=100
    The only Castlevania to ever feel like a direct follow-up to Symphony of the Night, Harmony obviously doesn’t quite touch the greatness of its predecessor…but it gets respectably close (if only it weren’t for that awful soundtrack).

11. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
    dracula-x-psp.jpg?w=150&h=85
    While not as pretty or as polished as the original, this 2.5D remake of Rondo of Blood is still a really good tribute to a really great game.

10. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
    portrait-of-ruin.png?w=150&h=113
    The penultimate 2D Castlevania expertly combines the Metroidvania trappings with touches of the franchise’s past, such as the character-swapping of Castlevania III and the unconnected areas of the pre-Symphony entries in the series.

9. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
    castlevania-iv.png?w=150&h=131
    Part remake of the original Castlevania, part gratuitous showpiece of the SNES’ capabilities, and part abandoning of all realistic whip physics all rolled into one fantastic action game.

8. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
    aria-of-sorrow.jpg?w=150&h=100
    Taking the Castlevania series into the “future” for the first time allowed for slight dalliances in sci-fi to complement the traditional fantasy tone, making for one of the most creative and original entries in the series to date.

7. Castlevania: Bloodlines/The New Generation (Genesis/Mega Drive)
    bloodlines.jpg?w=150&h=113
    Konami let its Contra and Castlevania franchises get a little “weird” on the Genesis, resulting in black sheep entries that are nonetheless praised precisely because they are so different from the pack.

6. Castlevania (NES)
    castlevania-1.png?w=150&h=131
    Despite the rapid evolution of the series that seemed to make the original seem quaint by comparison, the first Castlevania remains one of the tightest and most entertaining side-scrolling action games ever made.

5. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
    order-of-ecclesia.jpg?w=150&h=113
    After a whopping ten Castlevania games in just eight years, people were too burnt out on the franchise to give one of its absolute best games the respect it deserves, making for the biggest tragedy in Castlevania‘s history that doesn’t involve breast envy or a title with a “64” in it.

4. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
    dawn-of-sorrow.jpg?w=150&h=113
    This direct sequel to Aria took everything great about that game and used the DS’ added horsepower to deliver a near masterpiece–only tacked-on touchscreen spell casting keeps it from achieving that status.

3. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine Super CD ROM²)
    rondo-of-blood.png?w=150&h=131
    Importers have a tendency to oversell the greatness of Japan-only games, but in the case of Rondo, they were 100% justified in their evangelizing.

2. Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (NES)
    castlevania-iii.jpg?w=150&h=113
    The ultimate “traditional” Castlevania game, Dracula’s Curse does things that NES games shouldn’t be capable of–not the least of which is its ability to feel every bit as fresh and engaging in 2016 as it did in 1989.

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SAT)
    symphony.jpg?w=300&h=169
    Symphony is a legitimate contender for best overall game of all time, so it’s a given that it’s the best in the Castlevania series. As close to perfect as a game can get…with the possible exception, coincidentally, of Super Metroid.
  • Hmmm apart from number 1 slot, the rest is huuuuugeky debatable.
  • Oh and apart from bottom few
  • I've never got the huge hate for Castlevania 64, no way is it the worst one imo.

It failed to do what Zelda and Mario did so gracefully but it was never the turd people make it out to be these days. Seem to recall plenty of 7/10s back in the day.

Nice list though, even though I don't agree. nice to see some relative love for Dracula X on SNES, that got lambasted for being a poor Rondo of Blood port when it was actually a different game, reminds me of Doom 64 and how people think thats just 'DOOM'.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • WTF, no way is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate bad either. At worst that should be around 15-20.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Order of Ecclesia is pretty poor. Worst of the DS games easily. No idea what that's doing up there.
  • Bollocks my Castlevania double pack (Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance) isn't being recognised by my old DS (2006). Other GBA cartridges are working. There goes my save games :(
  • There's little worse in the gaming world than losing save files, I feel your pain.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the price of both games individually or as a pack. £30 plus for a gba game(s) to rebuy.
  • You tried cleaning the connectors?

Is there any chance it's a pirate cart? They were quite common back then and maybe the DS can pick then up easier than the GBA?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A weird list but I can understand it. 3 is great but if you take it on as a NES game. SOTN is obv top tier but I think the GBA games are directly after
  • You tried cleaning the connectors?

Is there any chance it's a pirate cart? They were quite common back then and maybe the DS can pick then up easier than the GBA?

It was a 2nd hand cart, connectors look OK. I could do some more googling but can't be arsed. I'll keep an eye out for both games and pick them up again. Other than the DS lite there is no newer DS with a bigger screen that plays gba games right?

• Nope, DSlite was the last b/c with GBA.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Seems like a list that was always going to end up with an obvious result.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hated SoTN. Lost interest in the series from that point on.

C IV, Rondo of Blood, Chronicles and Rebirth are my picks and probably in that order.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm exactly the same @davyK

My top 5 would be:
    1. IV
    2. Rondo of Blood
    3. III
    4. Bloodlines

Then a real toss up for 5th between the Original, Dracula X, Chronicles and Rebirth.

edit: sod it I may as well do a top 10...

5. Dracula X
    6. Rebirth
    7. Castlevania
    8. Chronicles
    9. Dracula X Chronicles
    10. Mirror of Fate

Outside of those Lords of Shadow was great but like the blurb above says it was more GoW than CV.

Simons Quest was the first I ever owned so I have a soft spot for it but not that soft.

The two N64 and PS2 games I never played for more than a couple of hours each, none of them seemed good enough to invest time into.

Played about half hour of each of the GB games via emulation recently. Belmonts Revenge is legit and I'll play it fully at some point. Legends was god awful, a true contender for 34th imo.

Played a couple of hours of Circle of the Moon and Symphony of the Night. They seem great but Metroid scratches that particular itch for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rondo of blood is a thing I have never played. Is there a way of playing it legally that wouldn't cost me my house
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Rondo of blood is a thing I have never played. Is there a way of playing it legally that wouldn't cost me my house

Dracula X Chronicles on PSP will be the best bet - not the original, admittedly, but it may be close enough for you. Is it available on PSN?
  • Was on Wii Virtual Console too.  Dunno if they've stopped that though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Maybe I just add it to the Japan 2017 list

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!