Castlevania - What a horrible night to have a curse
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bloodstained Ritual of the night has been released. Switch version out next week.
    I was hoping to have played it by now, but I still haven't received my review copy yet. Which is odd because by all early accounts it's quite good.
  • JonB wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bloodstained Ritual of the night has been released. Switch version out next week.
    I was hoping to have played it by now, but I still haven't received my review copy yet. Which is odd because by all early accounts it's quite good.

Are you reviewing it for a unnamed gaming magazine again?
  • Looks good from the trailer.

Curse of the Moon did a good job of replicating traditional Castlevania, so I have every confidence this will do the same for Metroidvania lovers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It’s awesome.

Can’t wait for the weekend so I can get stuck into it properly.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Are you reviewing it for a unnamed gaming magazine again?
    A write-up for Kotaku UK this time.

I've got the code now. Surprisingly large download. The whole thing is 15.755GB, but it says I can start playing after only 15.743GB. Yeah, thanks.
  • Interesting, there is an article on Kotaku for the game, not a full review though,

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/06/19/bloodstained-is-goth-fun-in-an-all-too-familiar-package
  • It's good. I'm not far into, but there's a lot to it, and from early conversations with supporting characters, it seems there will be at least a good ending, and a bad ending.

13 future DLC will be free, and Shovel Knight will be a playable character.

So far, well worth the price.
  • How much? Just ineterested. Not buying cos I will have no time at all for it given other games on the go.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think the pre-order on PS4 was €39.99.
  • Yeah, £35 on the UK store.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    HOLY SHIT I KICKSTARTED IT
  • Defo Switch buy for me.
  • Started playing Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. And i fecking love it. Its castlevania in all but name. So good.
  • You know a game has got to you, when you spend all day at work trying to decide what weapon to buy with your rare 8bit coin. Decisions decisions...
  • More about what outfit to wear and hairstyle to have.
  • More about what outfit to wear and hairstyle to have.

I finally understood this now. Having met the npc. Rocking a twohanded fire element "deathbringer" axe. Making good progress.
  • Beat two bosses thanks to some glitches. Only glitches ive encounter in the game so far. First boss: twin dragons i fell off the platform to the platform below, ran back up and hacked the dragons tail till it died.

Second boss: Bathin, was causing me lots of trouble, then on one attempt it got stuck in scenery and couldnt move so i hacked it to death with no threat to me.

Good game so far. Far too many different playstyles. I havent touched guns or melee combat. Nor used any of the special moves for certain weapons. Got loads of shards i havent used either.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castlevania Chronicles for PS1.

Anyone play this?  It's a port of a Sharp computer version that was JP only.

It's very old school but I enjoyed it immensely - linear - just the way I like my whip cracking.

Was checking it out on eBay and it seems a PAL copy is now commanding good money - £100 or so. Did this ever get a digital release?

It has an arrange mode with slightly retouched graphics and the difficulty is tamed a tiny bit. There's a time trial mode unlocked once you finish the game and a video interview with the developer.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I have, completed both arrangements when I had it on PSone back in the day.

Funnily enough it's one of the games I added to my PS Classic a couple of months back. Had a quick blast when I did, still great.

It's a good game, the definitive version of the original I guess but it does pale in comparison to the sequels.

It's still a banger though, as most linear Castlevanias are.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was put off Castlevania by Symphony of the Night. Really didn't like the roaming around.

I'm of a mind to get one of the GBA ones and give it another go though. There's only so many times I can play Chronicles, Rebirth and IV.
  • Still got mine.

Quality game.

48913544968_41ca2c5bcf_h.jpg
  • davyK wrote:
    I was put off Castlevania by Symphony of the Night. Really didn't like the roaming around.

I'm of a mind to get one of the GBA ones and give it another go though. There's only so many times I can play Chronicles, Rebirth and IV.

Same here, still haven't got into any of them tbh.

My advice would be to play III, Rondo or Bloodlines over one of those if you haven't already. The 8-Bit style Bloodstained is great too if you have a current gen setup.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I love SOTN, also a big fan of Harmony of Despair which is handy as It’s still available on Xbone.

Bloodlines and III are tasty and both on the current gen Castlevania collection and the PCE version of Rondo handily had a PSP release as part of the Dracula X chronicles and on PS4 as Castlevania Requiem (the original also plays nicely through the PC Engine emulation on Retropie)
  • I enjoyed SOTN and all the GBA/DS versions. Earliest Castlevania in terms of console release ive played is the snes Castlevania. Not played any releases earlier than that though on the to do list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ah.....Rondo... I keep forgetting about that one!!! I have it on the Wii VC. Need to get back to that one. Classy game.
  • Is there an accepted (widely) order of vania games from best to worse?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've a feeling SOTN would be widely considered the best of the bunch.

My first choice would be IV.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Is there an accepted (widely) order of vania games from best to worse?

Not that I've seen.

I can only comment on the old skool linear ones, but I'd go:

1. Rondo or IV
    3. Bloodlines or III
    5. Chronicles
    6. OG
    7. Rebirth
    8. Belmonts Revenge

The other two Game Boy games are pish and Simons Quest is more of a precursor to the Metoridvania style than the straight up platformers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SotN is leagues ahead of the rest.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!