Play.com closing ! Is this the end of cheap games and music ?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
     When dvds used to drop to £2.99-£3.99, I pretty much had a constant drip feed of deliveries.  

I once came home from work to find a stack of 19 DVDs waiting for me.  All clearance.

Looking at my order history there's a handful of things this year and only one order last year.  They used to be my go to site for stuff.

Shopto is another site I haven't used in years.
  • Tis a shame but the signs have there as the ratuken logo rapidly got bigger than the Play one...

Amazon is just too easy and cheap for me to use anyone else anymore, everything I've needed in the last 6 or 7 years I've been able to find on Amazon, usually cheaper too, and all just literally 1 click away.

Like you all, Play was very much the main online shop of choice for me in the early 2000's, I guess Amazon just got better quicker...
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • Wow.

Will check it out later and see if there is anything worth having.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Along with my Steambox comments I'll be coming across as a bit of a thicko but are they closing up but still selling on eBay and amazon style marketplaces?

It's been a long day.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • No, they're becoming those things.
  • I've been using Play for years , originally for region 1 DVDs . I used to use Reel.com in the states and they went tits up and then DVD Box Office - anyone else use them ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I used to love play, back in the day, my old account would've ran for dozens of pages.

I can remember when you could buy CD's direct from the USA with them as well, far cheaper than in the UK.

Play USA was great as well once i'd bought a multi-region DVD player from Richer Sounds.

First DVD I ever bought was a R1 copy of the otherwise unavailable Streets of Fire.
  • My Region 1 purchases were mostly Criterion Collection versions of classics. Kurosawa, Bergman, Renoir. That kind of thing. Thinking of clearing out more of my DVDs and keeping mostly just R1 Criterions and my anime. 

Any DVD collectors here interested? I'd only give them to Oxfam. I can do a list, but it won't be long. I stopped buying a while back (Lovefilm FTW) and got rid of tons over the last few years (thanks CEX).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    adored wrote:
    First DVD I ever bought was a R1 copy of the otherwise unavailable Streets of Fire.

Mine was South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut.

Double sided 4:3/16:9 affair in one of those shit folding cardboard boxes. I've still got it.

I feel a fred coming on.
  • My first order with Play.com was the 360 in 2006 along with Dead Rising. 109 orders. Not placed any orders with them in a year but I have used their marketplace to offload some old games. I better credit my playfunds, just incase i get screwed over.
  • My first ever DVD was Scream.
  • 71 orders in my history. first ever purchase was Afro Samurai (DVD)
    First videogame purchase was Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I've got 136 orders in my history.

1st was Shrek 2 on DVD (Christmas present in Dec 2005)
    My first game was Nintendogs! Haha.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • So having brought the high street to its knees they're just going to sod off? Soon you won't be able to buy anything anywhere.. ever.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You can always torrent it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They're not fucking off as such. You'll still be able to go to Play.com and buy everything you could before.
  • @hylian_elf I love a good (and bad) film, would be happy to pay postage or whatever you wish. I'll then probably rip them to my NAS and pass them on or give them to charity if that's acceptable?
  • 215 orders.  First purchase was Day of the Triffids as a Christmas present in 2005.
  • @hylian_elf I love a good (and bad) film, would be happy to pay postage or whatever you wish. I'll then probably rip them to my NAS and pass them on or give them to charity if that's acceptable?

Sorry, I don't have any bad films. :)

I'll make a list maybe tonight and let you know. Or it might be at the weekend.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    They're not fucking off as such. You'll still be able to go to Play.com and buy everything you could before.
    I'm to assume they'll still be selling downloadable music and my paid for mp3s will still be hosted on their site. I've not had any correspondence to suggest otherwise.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Mod74 wrote:
    adored wrote:
    Mine was South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut. Double sided 4:3/16:9 affair in one of those shit folding cardboard boxes. I've still got it. I feel a fred coming on.

Urgh, those horrible Warner Bros boxes with the cardboard and plastic flap thing. Fugly.

Read your e-mails.
  • Mod74 wrote:

Also, although they went downhill rapidly, play were still great for memory cards and the like. Wouldn't trust their marketplace sellers though, far too many fakes doing the rounds.

Hope Shopto aren't going to turn to shit like play did once they expanded away from their core business.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Read your e-mails.

Have you sent me one today? I haven't had one.

Oh, hang on, the one you sent yesterday? Ooops, thought I'd replied to that. Yeah, I'd avoid that given the extra details.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I sued to shop nowhere buy Play

what
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Wouldn't trust their marketplace sellers though...
    I sold a couple of things through Play.com, I had grief. If the sellers are dubious crooks then I can assure you that from my own experience 66% of the buyers are as well...

I sold Halo Reach and 3 weeks after I sold it the bloke got back to me saying that it was scratched, he had only just seen the scratch as he'd been away working. I said that he has obviously scratched it himself as it was perfect when it left me and he should have informed me straight away. He said he couldn't as it was a birthday present to himself so he'd only just opened it. I said I thought you'd been away working? He got arsey, Play sided with me.

At a later date I sold Tiger Woods and the bloke said it didn't arrive, because of the last experience I had photographed the disc, the case and the Mail Bag it was sent in. I also had the proof of posting with his address on. I said the Post Office say that you have to wait 15 days before reporting it missing, he said if I'd sent it registered it would have got to him, I pointed two things out to him, firstly that registered delivery was an option when buying it which he chose not to take which was a strange choice given that he said he's had loads of stuff go missing and secondly, how does he know I didn't send it recorded? I asked him for his gamertag so I could see if he'd played it? He said he didn't know what a gamertag was? I asked how he could buy 360 games and not know what a gamertag was, he went fucking mental (even though the account was in my missus's name so he thought he was talking to a woman) and unleashed a torrent of abuse and profanities in his messages. I got in touch with Play and explained that I offered recorded delivery as an option, I emailed all the photos of the product and the proof of posting with his address and do you know what Play did? They gave him his money back and deducted the same amount from my credit card as I'd already spent the money on something else there, I know he had received that game. I complained to the Post Office and got 6 stamps as compensation.

So with this in mind do you know how many tears I'll be shedding for Play.com? Not a single fucking one.
  • Skerret wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I used to shop nowhere but Play
    what

iPhone fail.
  • @Perm. That sucks big time. You have the guy's address, did the thought of sending him some nice stuff cross your mind? :)
  • ah play....like most of you, play was the place for me to buy all sorts of stuff in the early '00s, but hardly used it in last couple of years.

my first purchases appear to be november 2001 - Austin Powers 1 + 2, and the Rocky box-set!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Elf, I'd be interested in second dibs on unwanted dvds, would spring for postage etc.  I collected obsessively for years, but I haven't really been buying since we got Lovefilm, although my collection will always be my pride and joy.  I used to dream of a proper dvd library, with one of those sliding ladders.
  • Brief look suggests I've already gotten rid of almost all unwanted DVDs, but I'll have a proper look tomorrow and also post the (small) list in films/anime thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!