Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, well he's been dug up so it's a bit late.
  • At last Leicester is famous for something other than obesity snacks!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have no idea where Leicester is.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    We all saw this already, I hope. If not here it is.

538126_614124128602957_314646361_n.jpg
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • its in the centre of England.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mentioned this before but... Atacama Humanoid - weird!
    o-ATACAMA-HUMANOID-facebook.jpg
    The tiny humanoid discovered in Chile's Atacama Desert in 2003 is a human being, not an alien, researchers have concluded. The six-inch skeleton, nicknamed "Ata," was thought by some to be proof of extraterrestrial life, but Garry Nolan, a microbiology professor at Stanford School of Medicine, said his study of the skeleton shows it to be human, reports LiveScience.
    "Every nucleotide I've been able to look at is human," Nolan told LiveScience. "I've only scratched the surface of the analysis, but there is nothing that jumps out so far as to scream 'nonhuman.'" Nolan and his team photographed the skeleton in high resolution, conducted X-ray and CT scans, and sequenced its DNA in the fall of 2012. While they don't yet know what kinds of mutations caused the skeleton's deformities - the elongated skull and unusual number of ribs, as well as the small size - the tests suggest the individual was between six and eight years old when he or she died.
    An analysis of the mitochondrial DNA suggests the mother was "an indigenous woman from the Chilean region of South America," Nolan wrote in an email to LiveScience. About 91 percent of the skeleton's total genes match up with the reference human genome, added LiveScience. The mismatches in the other 9 percent could be accounted for in various ways, including DNA degradation in the skeleton.
    "It's an interesting medical mystery of an unfortunate human with a series of birth defects that currently the genetics of which are not obvious," wrote Nolan.
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/atacama-humanoid-human-researchers-say-245416

Anyway, for Halloween - personal stories of weird experiences, strange places, stories you've been told, things that freaked you out and all that stuff! Go!
  • I've probably told this story before, so apologies if it's old hat, but here goes...

The house I grew up in was very, very old.  (Old enough that the chief building material was horse hair and cow dung.) The whole building had originally been one large home, later split into 3 terraced houses.  My brother and I shared a reasonably large room at the top of the house.  Within the room was a very small cupboard built into the wall.  There was a small door, with a latch that you placed across.  The cupboard itself was next to useless as it was only about 1 inch deep.

After we'd been in the house for about 6 months or so, we noticed whilst mucking about that when you banged the back of the cupboard, it was hollow.  So, being the destructive, inquisitive sorts we were, we knocked out the back of the cupboard (wooden) to discover a small room secreted behind it.  There were a few tattered rags, and a long feather with the end cut as if for a quill.  There was nothing else to suggest what the room had been for, and neither the previous owners, nor our neighbours, had been aware of its existence.

We thought nothing of it, and simply shoved a load of our stuff in there.

And then odd stuff started happening.  The most notable was that every morning, even if we closed and latched the door, we would wake to find the latch off, and the door slightly open.  We would put it back, but next morning it would be open again.  Beyond that, the weirdness was more generic.  Clocks would change times, people would report seeing "something odd" (never anything more specific, and I certainly never saw anything) and on a couple of occasions we would hear the piano playing despite no-one being in the room.

Initially we spent ages trying to explain it all rationally (and we came up with something to explain everything, though I'm not sure these were ever all that convincing) but eventually stopped really thinking about it, and just regarded it as another eccentricity of the house...

(Not much of a punchline, but if you prefer you can imagine we held an exorcism, only for monsters to rise from the graves on which the house had been built and tear it to the ground.  The reality I'm afraid was much more mundane.)
  • How come I've never seen this thread before?  It's awesome.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tin Robot's post is creeping me out, I better not flick through this thread at night.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Excellent post, Robot. More of this, please!
  • On holiday in France about ten years ago, I was staying in a cottage with my parents in a fairly remote part. The cottage was really old and I was given the bedroom on the bottom floor whilst my parents had the bedroom upstairs.
    The first night there, I woke up in the very early morning and felt decidedly uneasy. Stayed awake for an hour or two before falling back asleep.
    The following night I woke up again in the early morning and looked up. Standing at the end of my bed was a man in a WW2 style army uniform. He was just standing and looking at me. I shovedmy head under the covers and didnt move until morning. I have never been so terrified.
    I refused to step into the room for the rest of the holiday and instead slept outside my parents bedroom for the duration.

In the second week of the holiday, the cottage owner visited us and took us on a tour of the grounds around the cottage. This included telling us some of the history about the cottage, including explaining how it was used frequently by the French resistance during WW2.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There was a load of goof stuff in this thread back on the old maroon room, pity it's gone. I remember posting this there. I'll spoiler it for those, like me, who may have freaked out as a child when reading about this stuff.

- Spontaneous combustion gave me nightmares for literally years and years as a kid, the thought of it freaked me out completely. This picture is the one that rattled me the most.
    Spoiler:
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I thought(have heard, never read into it or owt) that spontaneous combustion was something to do with some sort of heat source making human fat act like a wick. Or something. I don't know. Stop disagreeing with me. Jeez.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There have been a few theories put forward, all of which seem to have some hole in them. I'm sure there's a perfectly decent explanation but I don't think we've heard it yet.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    There have been a few theories put forward, all of which seem to have some hole in them. I'm sure there's a perfectly decent explanation but I don't think we've heard it yet.

Popping candy. It has to be.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I thought(have heard, never read into it or owt) that spontaneous combustion was something to do with some sort of heat source making human fat act like a wick. Or something. I don't know. Stop disagreeing with me. Jeez.
    Yeah, slow burn experiment done with a pig (similar kind of proportions of muscle and fat as human) showed exactly the results seen in spontaneous combustion - previously thought that it was a sudden huge and high heat because the bones completely burn to ash, but that never sat right with the heat being extremely localised (surrounding room untouched). Turns out a localised source will wick from the body fat as it melts, providing enough heat for a very slow burn over several hours that turns the bones to ash without spreading to the rst of the room - only melting and burning the fatty deposits.
    So, person has to have died first, then started burning - normally attributed to heart attack while smoking.

[edit] actually, just remembered, the bones burn differently because its the fat in the marrow that burns, so the bone slowly burns from the inside out - which is why they can burn to ash at a much lower heat than would be needed to burn them from the tougher outside layer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My dad used to talk about a short time when a guy in 1950s Belfast would jump over a graveyard wall in a gorilla suit and scare the shit out of people - always happened along a particular stretch of a road.

Probably explainable as just a prankster and probably jumping out on the wrong guys one night put a stop to it - still - a bit weird.

Ever hear of Spring Heeled Jack? He was a weird one..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oddly enough I read about spring heeled jack years back when I was  about 13, it freaked me out then and I don't really know why.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a good Monster Talk podcast about Springheel Jack, with the author of a book about the character. The actual reports of what people saw and how it ballooned into this urban legend is really interesting. Monster Talk is usually worth a listen anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    re: SHC, I remember the burning fat explanation from a number of years back and there was another similar one this year, I think, but I'm pretty sure both of them, while initially promising, failed to reproduce the effects in many situations. Can't rightly remember at the moment, will check later.
  • Numbers stations and their ilk are wonderful curios.
  • My step mother swears blind she has seen ghosts and UFO's and all sorts. Not entirely convinced she hadn't secretly been doing drugs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've done plenty of drugs and never seen ghosts or UFOs. Fuck sake.
  • I thought I saw a UFO once. Turned out it was a tractor.
  • She herself thinks it! Her words, not mine.
  • She thinks she might have been doing drugs? Wouldn't she have noticed?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well...
  • Every 'sighting' she's ever had has been at my sister's house, who is er, a bit of a druggie. My sister told us about all sorts of weird shit she'd seen - ghosts, visions, hearing strange sounds, seeing weird things in her house, etc, and we only discovered later she was pretty heavy into drugs. My step ma is not entirely unconvinced that sister dearest didn't slip her something.

Or they really did see 7 alien spacecrafts hovering above the house in formation. Who knows.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think there's anything you could be slipped that would let you see those kinds of things. At least not without realising something odd was going on in your head.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!