Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Overheads are slow and for the most part do little damage and don't combo, which only leaves watching out for throws.

I wish more overheads comboed like Dudder's. And the thing that makes Viper my favourite character is her ability to cross-up quickly after a low.

The longer life bars of Super never suited me. I think they should've either kept them as they were, or buffed everyone up to Sagat's level, rather than pulling him down. I'm pretty hopeless at Street Fighter IV now because I struggle for the patience to contest footsies. Angel Delight or bust.

Fleetingly whorish windows of opportunity constantly flash before you in Tekken. Sometimes your reflexes take them; sometimes you dive after 'em like you'm in Premiership. It's not especially tactical - it just flows that way. I always feel close to a freestyle shelling without having to concentrate totally in the hope of prising out a mistake. The game's always 'on', dancing to a rhythm that doesn't tax the brain as heavily as condensed 2D rules often can.

Everything you do in a 2D game matters. No movement is entirely redundant or without consequence. I respect the skill involved in the stricter 2D world, and I appreciate the reward that comes from unravelling players within an arena that demands cunning in turning its clearly defined tools in your favour.

Even at the top level, if you were to study a replay of Tekken you'd typically find it chock-a with lucky escapes. In frame terms, the majority of stepping would be hazardously unsafe. But because so much is punishable, the greater worry becomes freezing up, and that begets a fighter of gambles.

Unless you're a superdry Mish. But they wouldn't know Fun if it electrified them up the corporation.
  • Escape wrote:
    The game's always 'on'

Sorry to pick out just one tiny statement from your very nice post Escape, but this for me is why Tekkanz is my preferred beat 'em up of choice. There's no effective way to sit on a life lead and sandbag for the timer, there's no wearing your opponent down to a sliver of life and then killing them off with chip damage, you have to stand near your opponent and finish a fight off, you can't even just go in and try and bulldog them into a desperation mistake because they will be under rage conditions and will you will take serious damage if you try something wreckless and get caught. You're only 'safe' when you get extremely lucky and find yourself at full screen against someone who hasn't seen an eye laser or one of the ranged item moves before even then you're reliant on them to not be able to duck or sidestep in time and charge you down during your recovery.

On the subject of overheads comboing, we sort of have that already don't we? I mean every single mid in the game is technically an overhead, with many forming the first hit of strings which result in knockdowns, or juggles. Allowing you to continue your attack, albeit in a slightly different matter from a 2D fighter's use of tight links to string together individual moves.

Cross ups though, I do not miss, or rather the ambiguous cross up, to be more specific. I knocked you down = 50/50 guess on wakeup to deal more damage is all well and good if you have it at your disposal, which bizarelly for all his other shortcomings Hakan actually had. It was a welcome addition, but it did make me kind of lazy, the best option every time on knockdown was the 50/50 unless you were playing someone with an EX SRK that could interrupt the safe jump in which case you just reverted back to whatever. In Tekken, while the getting up aspect of the game can be frustrating to new players because they don't yet know or have got used to using the different get up options available and are constantly tech rolling backwards into tech traps, once you understand the options for standing up, it becomes a lot easier to avoid getting your head kicked in as you get off the floor. 

In other Tekken news, haters will be pleased to see a couple of interesting videos starting to surface, on the subject of certain characters properties during tag assualt, namely Jack-6 and Yoshi. Videos below:

Jack FF3+4 Tag Assualt:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BXmTTjzsv20

Yoshi Kamizake (F3+4 iirc) Tag Assault Glitch/Bug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pyRqfB9wRTI

The reason I'm labelling Yoshi's as a glitch or bug is that you can only do it after an air throw it would seem, and even then only with certain characters. Some people have said this is broken, but for that to be the case it would mean that you would have to have Yoshi on your team, speaking as someone who has dabbled and is currently redabbling with him, putting Yoshi on your team requires you to actually know how to use Yoshi unless you literally plan on being on being so godlike with your primary character that you are never, ever going to need Yoshi outside of setting up that Flea stance reset. 

The Jack one is more interesting. Especially as it doesn't occur with P-Jack, his body is too small it would seem to create a barrier like Jack's does. Jack is already a fairly useful tag partner thanks to his Patriot Fist default tag assault move. The option to now manually use his normally near useless dive in a manner similar to the sandwich combos with characters such as Lili had which were discovered and patched out of the initial arcade TTT2 release gives him even greater flexibility in this support role. Unlike Yoshi, Jack is piss easy to learn and use once you get the hang of his main pokes. One of the reasons why I quite enjoyed learning him and stick with him to this day. He offers a really nice mix of straightforward moves and tactics, with a smattering of shenanigans and some nice command grabs. A real all rounder, you can play him however you feel like at that particular moment, poke machine, tick throw setups, catch people with some of his more unorthodox gimmicks like the pancake press or jetpacks. PLUS PATRIOT FIST AKA DAT ASS JUGGLES ARE PURE HAWTNESS. I think this is something that is likely to be patched out though, presumably Jack's hitbox will be adjusted after the dive to match P-Jacks. Unless I hear from Namco that it's staying in it's not something I want to start getting used to using.

Insta-Edit - Formatting was all to fuck.
    Double Edit - Why is the Youtube formatting not working? A fun size Mars bar to the first person who can tell me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • please post a tl;dr version!
  • tl:dr - play Barbie's Horse Adventure
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • tl/dr version

"I love Tekken it is the best fighting system because of no chip damage. Overheads combo because they go into juggles, which I love. There are two new bugs to add to the infinites already found, but these are fine [because Tekken]."
  • jin_does_a_facepalm_by_karl11-d4trx57.png
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Nick wrote:
    tl/dr version

"I love Tekken it is the best fighting system because of no chip damage. Overheads combo because they go into juggles, which I love. There are two new bugs to add to the infinites already found, but these are fine [because Tekken]."

Not quite lol, but brought a smile to my face!

I have now completed the tutorials for this and started doing arcade mode. I died. Lots.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The arcade mode will eventually start reading your inputs and insta punishing almost anything that's unsafe, which is quite annoying and gay.

The only slight outcome from this is that you will soon learn which of your pokes are the fastest, or which are the safest on block or whiff without having to look at the frame data.

Edit: Arcade mode is worht it to directly see the endings for the characters you are most interested in, but you can unlock the ending movies through lucky boxes which you can get from Ghost Battles, which I find highly preferable to the Arcade Mode as they give you a wider variety of characters to fight, the option to select your next opponent from a choice of three and the AI seems to do a lot less Psycho Mantis input reading.
  • @Roujin Forgive me if this is a little bit random, or personal, but what t-shirt size are you? And are you familiar with the set of We Are Tekken pieces of artwork commissioned for this game?
  • I am an XL and I am familiar with the character art if you mean either the We Are Tekken fan art competition thing on Facebook, or the character art that was done by the external different studios, yes.

If it was some other art that fell under the whole We Are Tekken thing, then no, it would appear I am not familiar with it.
  • Well basically, we had a Namco rep visit our HMV. He asked me if we were up for hosting a tourney of the game, with him supplying a copy of the game and some prizes. Then the Gamestation hosted their own one with the same swag, and we never got the chance to even think about doing one. So, my boss gave me all the stuff the rep sent us!

Now, I can't give you the promo copy of the game. I'm under strict orders to pass it around my fellow colleagues, but I can give you the prizes. And they are....

Double sided A2 poster. Here's one side:
    173cbc983c4f94078640c8d34d1ee2fd_zps33efc9c9.jpg

And the other:
    95aaf36a94ff7f4089b489d92e2b1c88_zps94f74c3e.jpg

Another double sided A2 poster. This time landscape...4ab605685643d37c537211ca230e34e5_zps0a0c46c6.jpg0ef1d683e1683dcba2715f480a61a5e3_zps6451c63b.jpg

Aaaaaaaaand, an official Insert Coin "King Of Iron Fist Tournament" tee. Size L, though.

c6eff05b16d96144cb360d6d615fd3ad_zps5325172e.jpg

I wondered what to do with it all so I read this thread from the beginning on the train home. Your enthusiasm for this is brilliant, so why not give it to you. Interested?
  • Blargh can someone fix that? Posting from my iPad and its fucked up.
  • Sweet loot! I'm an L, just sayin'... ;)
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aw Gav dat Mokujin poster...
  • I was gonna keep that, but nah. It's all up to Roujin, he's been on brilliant form in here. He deserves it.
  • Wow Gav, amazing haul there!

Give Pez the t-shirt, keep mokujin for yourself. I'll take the Heihachi/Jinpachi poster if its okay.

Thanks man, really. If you ever pick this up, I'll be more than happy to show you the ropes.
  • Also to save on post I can pick it up from Rouj's no probs, no need to send stuff to multiple addresses. Super generous of you dude, much appreciated (get the game anyway, it's awesome).
  • @Roujin Nae bother. I'll give Reg that poster if he wants it. PM me your addy, and I'll hopefully get it sent off some time after payday (Friday)! 

Also, I've got that promo copy of the game for a while. Didn't get a chance to play it tonight due to Borderlandsing, but wouldn't mind getting a few scraps some time soon, mate. All the best.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    On the subject of overheads comboing, we sort of have that already don't we?

I was talking about SF. Dudley has a good command overhead with poor range; Ibuki has good range with poor speed.

If more characters had an instant cross-up like Viper, there'd be a lot more evasive dashing opening up the front door. Stronger overheads naturally call for parrying to negate the advantage of the aggressor, but that's fine by me.

Cross ups though, I do not miss, or rather the ambiguous cross up, to be more specific. I knocked you down = 50/50 guess on wakeup to deal more damage

One third of the reason for my losing streak over the past few months is a lack of practice. Another third is due to the much higher standard of competition than 2010's. The final third is lag, and that's why I'm replying...

I've been thrown three times in a row more than I care to remember. I'm often sure I've teched at least one of the first two in time. Then comes the third.

After two, it's a 50:50 between another and the preferred option of a more damaging combo, so I tend to resist buttons in the hope he believes he's conditioned me to crouch-tech; because after all, a throw's the weaker avenue.

He walks up and throws me again.

I'm not salty because I've been thrown again - I don't much care if I lose, but it does hurt my gameman pride a bit (albeit for half a minute) to know he's thinking 'He can't tech for shit! I'm-a throw 'im again... lawl.' <taunt>

The ambiguous jump-in is the other common thing I get blown up by. There are lots of very good Training Stage-going Sakuras, and they love their tricky jump-ins. I usually warm up a little after I've taken the 50% combo and stun.

None of that's criticising the game, really, but its netcode can be infuriating for dunking you fathoms below your opponent's green-bar dinghy on the surface. So many times I've blocked a jump-in and the following low, but been unable to avoid a tick despite teching as soon as their low ended.

Hey, Nick: I've found a way to settle our differences:

'Are you ready for Hurricane Kicks?!'

No-one's ready for that.

Fair play, Gareth.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    If by some miracle Reg doesn't take that Mokujin poster then I'll take it! Come on it's even got my name on it!

Was talking to Pez about this and I'm gonna plot an evening to pop round to his and give this a go.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gav - give the Mokujin to woodimari. I dot even own TTT yet.
  • Okay okay PM addy plz Woody.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    PM sent, cheers buddy!
  • Another day another video, this one from ATP covering the finer points of taking on a solo player as a team. It's full useful information if you find yourself having difficulty up against their increased life, on screen red health regen and quicker rage build up. 

Enjoy!

• Got the PM's guys, cheers. Will hopefully send the shiz on Friday. How much and where do I get poster tubes?
  • I think you can get them from most Post Offices or W H Smiths, usually run between about 80p to £2.00 or there abouts.

Per my PM, more than happy to poney up the cash to cover the postage man.
  • Oh shoosh! I paid fuck all for the loot anyway.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I was gonna keep that, but nah. It's all up to Roujin, he's been on brilliant form in here. He deserves it.

Mad respect, Gav. : )
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • James Chen and Ultra David had Rip on the latest eipisode of First Attack. Coving all manner of basics and introductory tactics for TTT2. 

Highlights include watching James Chen failing to be able to even input u+3+4 for Pauls flip kick and the amount of noise generated from his stick when Rip tells him how to backdash cancel. 

The video also covers stuff like general spacing and low anticipation, which are some of the key elements to managing your defence. 

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/333382828

This video is also good because it is framed in a style that directly deals with the differences between Tekken and 2D fighters for people coming to the game who are primarily used to 2D fighters.
  • EDIT: Double post fuckery.

Double Edit: Double post salvaged thanks to Level Up posting nearly 3 hours of TTT2 footage from their recent tournament on Youtube in a single vid! I havent had chance to watch this really at all, but in 3 hours worth of footage there must be something for everyone. Plus there are some good players here so you can see how the early tournament regulars are playing the game right now. 

I apologise in advance if there is an abundance of solo characters hahahaha. 

EDIT: I have started watching this and the commentary is excellent. I would say watch this over the UltrachenTV vid, as it is entertaining and there is some hype stuff, but you are likely to learn more about the basics of Tekken from the Ultrachen vid.

Quadro Edit: At about 18 minutes there is a set between Rickstah and JustFrame James which is fucking hype as hell. Rickstah using Ganryu/Bob and Jinpachi/Ogre against JFJ using Yoshi/Law.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!