Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Some guy on a podcast I was listening to has set himself the task of finishing Alien Soldier before the end of the year, because it's set in the year 2015.

So, umm, I'm suggesting Alien Soldier ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Alien Soldier looks rather good.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's no Gunstar Heroes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not many are. It looks better graphically that he usual MD effort. Nice use of colour for a change. I always find MD games quite muddy and gritty looking which is good for something like Desert Strike but can make games look dull.
  • It had a limited colour palette compared to SNES.

Treasure games seemed to be bright and colourful though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. It could be done OK. The Sonic games were colourful enough. It wasn't that big a deal as the type of game the MD tended to get suited the muddy colour palette and the tinny sound for that matter.
  • Even the sound, when done properly, could be outstanding.

Check out Yuzo Koshiro's work. I still can't believe SoR 2 is coming from an MD.
  • Now I want to play Alien Soldier.....

I don't think the kids will leave me alone to do so though....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nothing wrong with the MD sound mind. It was good at the bass range especially - but was quite different to the SNES and rather distinctive which is a good thing.
  • I reckon I attempt to like Alien Soldier every couple of years, with no luck.  I can't put my finger on what I don't like about it, other than the huge player sprite, but it never quite clicks.
  • Yeah, I've been the same whenever I've tried it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My copy of Rat Attack on N64 just sold for over £60... Who knew?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Slightly more than you paid me for it!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Adventure Island is tempting me at the mo. Will have to give it another go. I think I only got about half way back when I first got it (there are no continues as far as I remember). The jumping is a bit weird - you have to hold up or down (can't remember) to get a higher jump.
  • My attempts at Alien Soldier ended in failure.

Couldn't even beat the second boss. Geez, the game is hard.
  • Heh, I've been playing plain old Adventure Island by mistake, and I've managed to bork one of the buttons on my gemeiA330 in the process (difficult to run and jump now, it doesn't like both buttons being pressed at once).  Up to 3-3, might as well finish it now, as it feels like the sort of game that may only have four main levels.  At least that's what I'm hoping, as 3-1 or 3-2 was a massive wanker and if it gets much harder I'll get no satisfaction from it due to save state spamming.
  • That one actually is Wonderboy with a different character.

And no, it doesn't end after 4 levels.
  • It really doesn't.  Hopefully no more than 6, I'm on 5-2 I think. Fun game though, borrowed Wonderboy once as a kid, don't remember it being quite as good as this.  Endless runners owe it a debt, assuming the perpetual motion skateboard screen push mechanic was a first?  I'm probably forgetting something obvious.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    More game sales. £70 For Resi 2 on N64 and £38 for Battle for Naboo lol
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmm. Have N64 RE2 and it's on my "probably for sale" list. Your copy in good nick?
  • Stop getting me excited about retro club movement reg, you want Mark's proper retro thread.
  • Resi 2 on N64 is a technical marvel. Sure the DC and GCN versions have it beat purely for resolution but theres something about that game on cart that blows my mind.

I've had it on 4 formats over the years but the N64 one is the one I've decided on keeping.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Super Adventure Island is enjoyable.  Not sure if it's the emulation, but it feels quite sluggish after playing the NES one.  Its 8-bit roots are front and centre though - title screen says 1992, it must've felt dated at the time.  It plays well though, but brings to mind Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, which I viewed as a half-arsed 16-bit version of a cracking 8-bit game.  It's chunky and a tad clunky, but I'm still keen on the way it plays.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If memory serves it is a bit sluggish and yes -  the title screen must have had all of 10 mins spent on it. Overall it feels like it could have done with a few weeks of presentation polish so that it was topped and tailed properly but it being an early SNES release it was probably rushed out to catch the early adopters.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Adventure Island got a nice looking remake on Gamecube. Was JPN only - have been on the lookout for it for a while now.

• I've been thinking about resurrecting this, but we'd need a minimum of four participants to make it work. 

The idea:  we get a show of hands each month, and when the participants have been locked in, they start to partner up.  Once the groups are split in twos, individuals must select the game for their partner to play, posting a brief pitch/summary/reflection of their chosen game.  Two hours sounds fair to me, so the game must be played for a minimum of two hours throughout the month so a proper opinion can be formed.  As a totally unnecessary example, retroking might get Davy to play Demon's Crest whilst tackling Flicky in exchange, while in the other pot Eric would be cracking on with Shatterhand while moot plays Eternal Champions.  Everyone chips in with opinions on everything and the thread flourishes again.

Discuss.
  • Im in. My only concern is lack of access to some games as I have no means of emulation.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I could lend you one of my numerous handheld emulators, if we stick to pre 32-bit it shouldnt be much of a problem.
  • I'm up for it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Me too.  It would require me to coax my elderly Windows 7 PC to emulate stuff. I have the wonderous Stella up and running and I know NESTER will run fine on it too as I had that going at one time.

I do have shmupMAME running on it and it delivers a decent experience so I assume it is up to the task.

Keeping it pre-32 bit makes a lot of sense. Calling games retro from 32bit on (esp. 2D games that are as beautiful as they need to be) isn't entirely valid to my sensibilities at any rate, even though I know that they are strictly speaking retro. Calling Yoshi's Island retro gaming is like calling Sgt. Peppers retro music.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!