Good gaming podcasts
  • The 1Up podcast I listed to was Games, Dammit! and it was like the Bombcast but with individuals of noticeably less eloquence and humor.
  • Shinji wrote:
    Weekend Confirmed is my weekly fix. Like Google said Garnett Lee is always good for a solid podcast. Quite fond of Jeff on that show too, my only complaint would be that one or two of their regulars are on the crap side

Xav De Matos made me actively start disliking the show. He was an uninspiring, negative lump that made me really dislike listening to the show. 

Thank fuck he left to join Joystiq so I never, ever have to read/see/hear him again.
  • I like The Geekbox when Karen Chu's on it. You probably wont.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Listened to Idle Thumbs for the first time, the guys seem alright, and Sean Vanaman may be the best guy of 2012 for the shit he is making me do in The Walking Dead, but it certainly didn't grab me as any more structured or intelligent than the Bombcast. They did state that it was a bit of an anomalous week due to PaX so may be different, and as I said, I enjoyed it, but it's certainly no "thinking man's podcast" based on that evidence. Claw anecdotes were a hoot though.

Go to the old ones, man. The originals where they were basically nobodies/interns/low level designers at shitty studios.

They were much, much better IMO.
  • Another vote for the Giant Bombcast. Very good. 1Up is godawful. I think I saw someone recommend it a while back but no way.
    1Up Yours was good, after everything kicked off there, whatever replaced i wasn't. I think they have a retro one though Elm and Moot, no idea if it's any good.

2006-2007 era 1UP Yours was fucking golden.

Here's a link to some very enjoyable episodes when the 360 and PS3 were not such boring staples of our gaming lives.

Post E3 2006 with a huge amount of guests jumping in and out

Last show with my best friend, Luke Smith

Day 3 of E3 2007
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    google wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Listened to Idle Thumbs for the first time, the guys seem alright, and Sean Vanaman may be the best guy of 2012 for the shit he is making me do in The Walking Dead, but it certainly didn't grab me as any more structured or intelligent than the Bombcast. They did state that it was a bit of an anomalous week due to PaX so may be different, and as I said, I enjoyed it, but it's certainly no "thinking man's podcast" based on that evidence. Claw anecdotes were a hoot though.

Go to the old ones, man. The originals where they were basically nobodies/interns/low level designers at shitty studios.

They were much, much better IMO.

So you've recommended a podcast that is no longer good? Great.

Also Luke Smith lol. Remember how you thought he was your friend?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Also Luke Smith lol. Remember how you thought he was your friend?

There was a time when he and I would spend each and every day talking on AIM about women, GAF and Bungie.

He's still on my XBOX Live friends list.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Those were the good times man.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Those were the good times man.

I dont actually miss them one bit.

Although for the longest time the 1UP podcast would be something I'd look forward to each week.
  • google wrote:
    Shinji wrote:
    Weekend Confirmed is my weekly fix. Like Google said Garnett Lee is always good for a solid podcast. Quite fond of Jeff on that show too, my only complaint would be that one or two of their regulars are on the crap side
    Xav De Matos made me actively start disliking the show. He was an uninspiring, negative lump that made me really dislike listening to the show.  Thank fuck he left to join Joystiq so I never, ever have to read/see/hear him again.

Yeah he was annoying. Andrea Rene is quite annoying when she's on it now. Every statement being prefaced with the fact that she's a female gamer, like it's a valid excuse for talking complete shite
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've listened to one and half Idle Thumbs and I like. Cheers Brooks et al.

Should fill in the gap between Bombcast finishing and new one arriving nicely.
  • Shinji wrote:
    Yeah he was annoying. Andrea Rene is quite annoying when she's on it now. Every statement being prefaced with the fact that she's a female gamer, like it's a valid excuse for talking complete shite

"You know, I've only been playing First Person Shooters for a couple of years so I'm going to make a blanket statement and then when someone points out my argument is false and incorrect I'll argue that because I'm a woman, it shouldn't matter that I'm wrong"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I started listening to the latest Giant Bombcast on the way into work yesterday.  They spent the first 20 minutes waffling on about water beds and buying cars.  Fuck that.  Turned it off.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm okay with a fair amount of waffle, but as much as I like the guys on Destructoid, they're basically sandwiching 10  minutes of game chat between 2 hours of butt sex.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I started listening to the latest Giant Bombcast on the way into work yesterday.  They spent the first 20 minutes waffling on about water beds and buying cars.  Fuck that.  Turned it off.

I mean, this is the issue with entering a podcast/show 200 episodes in - if you're not used to it, expecting it or familiar with it - I'm sure the show can be quite jarring.

However, the first episode ever recorded in Jeff's house with Ryan was 60 minutes long with 55 minutes devoted to Tiger Woods Gatorade.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It has made my driving about during work a whole lot more enjoyable. I like the waffle.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Good evening! Can anyone recommend any good gaming podcasts? I own and actively play all the current gen consoles (apart from a Vita) so one that focuses on all formats would be best. The only one I’ve ever listened to is the n4g podcast and their constant Nintendo bashing has put me off.

The following come with the Blue Swirl Seal of Approvalâ„¢.

Cane and Rinse
    IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat
    Joypod presented by SPOnG
    Weekend Confirmed
    1UP.com's Games, Dammit!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    It has made my driving about during work a whole lot more enjoyable. I like the waffle.

A certain amount of waffle I can handle, but I'm listening for the game talk and the balance seemed instantly off with the Bombcast.  RPGcast has it just right; straight into the games and you're then carried along with any rare derailings that may occur.  I've got a two and a half hour drive home tonight, so I may give 2-4 Play a try.
    Get schwifty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    For the last couple of months I think they've deliberately indulged the waffle because there's not a whole host of games to talk about. For some reason they always aim for 3 hours because people complain if they're shorter.

You'll find that in the run up to Xmas they'll only talk about games with very little waffle. Might be worth trying again in a month or so if you're willing.

Or maybe just drop in for the GoTY shows, they're always entertaining.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I am indeed willing.  I shall check back in a month or so, by which time I should imagine the winter gaming frenzy will be well and truly underway.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've checked out 3 so far...

Giantbombcast - like people have said there's a lot if rambling (water beds, buying a car etc) but once they got going they were wuite informative and entertaining. They were chatting about Guild Wars 2, a game which I have no interest in but their conversation was compelling enough to listen to.

4-8 Play - The show was a Metal Gear special so I couldn't really judge from that. Seem decent though so ill definitely give it another go.

ONM - Not a fan of single format stuff generally, but when it comes to Nintendo these days its your only choice and most others just bash Nintendo. Again pretty good, they talked about ZombiU and I found out quite a bit about the game so yeah, good podcast.

Thumbs up for all three so far. Will check out a few more of your suggestions over the next week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4-8 play are magnificent. Also, they introduced me to the dark world of 10000000
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    ONM - Not a fan of single format stuff generally, but when it comes to Nintendo these days its your only choice and most others just bash Nintendo.

For more Nintendo-positive single-format goodness, check out the aforementioned Nintendo Voice Chat, and if that's not enough for you, Radio Free Nintendo is pretty good, too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Cool, will check out those other Nintendo ones too
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Unrelated to this thread but to Retroking's point - multiformat videogame podcasts bash Nintendo because Nintendo deserve to be bashed.
  • google wrote:
    Unrelated to this thread but to Retroking's point - multiformat videogame podcasts bash Nintendo because Nintendo deserve to be bashed.

Haters gonna hate, I'd just rather not hear about it from people who have yet to leave the school playground. Honestly has anyone here heard the n4g podcast?

I don't mind constructive criticism but I can't tolorate a room of man childs moaning the way they do.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't mind constructive criticism but I can't tolorate a room of man childs moaning the way they do.

Why must it be constructive criticism? 

You're listening to gaming podcasts that are nothing but opinion.

Again, this is completely unrelated to this thread, but are you honestly confused as to why a huge majority of the gaming press has a negative opinion of Nintendo right now?
  • Ni
    google wrote:
    I don't mind constructive criticism but I can't tolorate a room of man childs moaning the way they do.

Why must it be constructive criticism? 

You're listening to gaming podcasts that are nothing but opinion.

Again, this is completely unrelated to this thread, but are you honestly confused as to why a huge majority of the gaming press has a negative opinion of Nintendo right now?

No I get it, I guess im just expecting too much from podcasts? Or maybe I was just unlucky with the one I started with?

Giantbombcast seemed decent. They criticised NSMB2 but gave reasons which is good, I want to know why someone doesn't like something not to just hear them throw their toys out the pram because game X isn't HD etc.

Also like I said they spoke tons about Guild Wars 2. I have no interest in MMO's but it was informative and now I know something about a game I otherwise wouldn't have known existed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Second One More Go podcast came out today. It's a pretty decent retro podcast where two Glaswegians each play a game from their childhoods that they have a great love of and then chat about why it's great. This months it's Psychonauts and Donkey Kong Country 2.

Last months Six Golden Coins one gave me the warm fuzzies and this months has made me want to buy a SNES.

If you read/listen to the Football Ramble then you might know Nicol Hay from that as he does a lot of articles for them.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wossy on the IGN podcast.

Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!