Wipeout Omega Collection - The Future is Fast!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I'm ashamed to say I have not played Wipeout HD because I am a poor, skinty barsteward. I shall try to rect(lol rectum)ify this soon.
    I'll get it for you if you don't get it yourself. This game (plus coffee if you're playing in the mornings, whisky if you're playing late), with a decent soundtrack (just put anything with a proper beat on your ps3) and you'll be settled for hours. Shame about Studio Liverpool, had some great evenings with some of the guys from there.

Can't remember how many people I've bought this for. Usually where there's a PS3, drink and no WipEout. Haven't had a forum smash about for too long. Think I rain checked the last.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Speaking of them, Where is Total Drivin' 2?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've bought a Georgie Happaugie HD PVR 2 (Gaming Edition HDMI Capture Device Thingâ„¢), so I fired the old girl up for a night of Air Icaras:

PVR's great after a grumbly, non-working start. Unfortunately, it can't grab PS3 over HDMI due to the HDCP. There is a workaround with an HDMI box, but component - even with the necessary scaling - seemed like my best bet for minimising additional lag. The PVR itself isn't a problem: running 720 into my 1080 TV is. (Fury's one of the few above 720.)

The recorded quality's really quite spiffing, but obviously downgraded by YouTube. Click on YT's Quality Cog for HD.

Fury's still prime. I'd only change a few things:

* Open-mic chat
    * Tracks that are thematically similar to WipEout's; i.e. based on reality, like Sagarmatha (albeit from 2097)
    * A few more jumps and jinks, with greater elevation changes
    * A PS4 version with more stuff in the backgrounds (but not busy for the sake of it)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    im sure open mic were added in an update?

do a zones mode please.....id love to see some high level zones play in good quality.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • The 3D is actually amazing amazing
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I've bought a Happaugie HD PVR 2...
    The amount of times I've had that in basket you wouldn't know, how are you getting on with it?

I think it would just become a massive timesink so that is one of the reasons I've held off...

Hulka T wrote:
    The 3D is actually amazing amazing
    Isn't it just! By far the best example I've seen, I was actually eyeing up a 65" LG last night!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    do a zones mode please.....id love to see some high level zones play in good quality.

Quality, yes; high-level play...

I'll try and do something respectable one day, but I'm way out of Zone shape. I haven't touched it properly for years. But yeah - I agree - it would be nice to look at.

@Moto70

The PVR has a flaky driver in my experience, but it's been fine since the initial headache of removing it for rebooted reattempts.

The included software - ArcSoft ShowBiz - is capture-only. It does have editing features, but they're basic in the extreme. I imagine most people use other programs, though. Sony Vegas is popular. I use PowerDirector, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I'm just familiar with its foibles, and even the friendliest programs take some learning.

I'm also familiar with ShowBiz from my EzCAP 116. There's not much to learn, and I like its plain interface. M2TS and MP4 are supported.

Versus the Elgato, the PVR 2:

* Works with Windows prior to 7
    * Works with lower-spec PCs
    * Is £20 cheaper
    * And possibly has the edge on colour accuracy and overall sharpness

My laptop isn't underpowered - Duo T5750, 3 GB, 8600M GT - but that is pushing it a bit for the Elgato. The PVR 2's perfectly happy, though, and I don't have Windows 7 or 8 installed.

If you have the machine for it, in the Elgato's favour:

* Said to have better bundled software (the UI in ShowBiz is fine for recording)
    * Is USB-powered
    * Is pocket-sized
    * Has permanent one-hour recording

The last one's obviously a great feature for unforeseen events in MP. FPSes and the like. For me, I'm 99% capping stored replays from fighting games/Uncharted or SP footage, but the one-hour record's ideal for ensuring you never miss anything without overeating drive space.

Although I could always run the PVR that way, stopping, deleting and restarting manually.

There's nothing much wrong with the AVerMedia if you're okay with component, but it's in the same price territory as the Elgato and PVR 2 minus a required drive.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Also on my floor in waiting, Moto, a Fanatec CSR. (Which is overlarge and plasticky compared to the G25, but it has the adjustable steering lock I've always wanted for Gran.)

I had no desire for the Elite's diminishing returns - and didn't fancy the load-cell brake, so I bought the regular CSR wheel and pedals. Plus their inversion kit for the latter.

€30 for a Wheel Stand Pro upgrade for my original G25 WSP. At least that was a bargain!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    How much was the Fanatec?

Looking at it I reckon the Elgato would be better suited for me...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    How much was the Fanatec?

£290 delivered, for their CSR Value Pack with a separate inversion kit.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I just visited Amazon to look at getting myself some form of capture but I need to sort out my PC I think, give it a full format and start from fresh. I ended up buying 4 BluRay's and Band of Brothers Boxset instead! I'm meant to be saving!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @Moto70

I meant to say I was going to buy the Elgato until I read it needed quality comp juice and a newer Windows. I never got around to punting Vista when I bought my laptop, and I'm a creature of habit. I was waiting for it to go hideously wrong to get my arse in gear, but it hasn't caused any great offence yet.

The PVR can record in M2TS, TS and MP4, though. Just MP4 with the Elgato.

@daviedigi

I've started Zoning... I'll need a few days to sharpen up and make a vid.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    fuck yeh!

• Think it was Moto who said it, this is stunning in 3D.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aw yeah, Sas.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    indeed, proper stunning and makes me want 3d myself.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I came at sub-phantom doing 3D for the first time.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    fuck yeh!

It now has (will have) the best lap I've ever done.

My plan is to show all of Anulpha's zones...
  • beano wrote:
    Aw yeah, Sas.

Seems a lot of people have. I'm going to add my voice to theirs.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @daviedigi

No more WipEout! It's hard!

I'd like to cap some Uncharted, Tekken and maybe Turismo at some point.
  • Mmmm, Uncharted
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Honestly, man - it's only this massive delay on my Dual Analog's update keeping me away! Once I'm sorted there, I'll be back for Uncharted and Tekken.

I'm fed up of the diddly handles and slippery sticks on my DS3. I preferred my SixAxis before it wore out.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    And there she is. My reactions have faded a little over the years, but my gaming hot dogs go on.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Fucking daft; I'm happy with 40odd.

/jealous.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Mmmm, Uncharted

Me too. Preferably Sanctuary at night, the shipyard, Fort in the Rain or Plaza from UC2. danke.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    you tekken tag 2ing these days scape?
    need to get some practice in and settle on a main. (recomendations?) 

and thanks for above, watching in 2 mins.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    you tekken tag 2ing these days scape?

Almost, but on the 360. Rock said he hasn't bought a copy yet. Reccos would be for the characters with simple, easily-remembered moves that are effective. Heihachi needs the EWGF in high-level play, but he's still really good without it for casual online outings.

Dr B for a laugh; @Roujin

Bruce (as in Irvin, not Law) is quality.

Tiger/Eddy/Christie if you're patient enough to learn their grounded stance - RLX. Or you could mash like most do!

Roger, Lili/Sebastian, Paul, Kuma and Jack all hit hard with single moves.

The following are among the most technical chars, I'd say: Angel; Anna; Baek; Bryan; Hwoarang; Julia; King; Kunimitsu; Lee; Lei; Leo; Ling; Michelle; Mokujin!; Nina; Raven; Steve; Wang; Yoshimitsu; and Zafina. Especially Nina and Lei. Armor King's a lot more straightforward than King, but you do need to be able to do half-circles and triple-forwards on the pad.

Ganryu's fun. He's got a great wardrobe, too.

beano wrote:
    Fucking daft; I'm happy with 40odd.

/jealous.

There are tips, but first of all I'll tell you about the world record: it's in the 150 region. Poetry. German lad; retired now. He was one of the greatest leaderboard outliers I've ever known in gaming; no-one was close. The Usain Bolt of Anulpha.

He used the right airbrake on the exit of Turn 1 to right the ship at higher speeds. Ever played Stunt Car Racer, with its turn into the corner and tap out of it? Pretty much that. I can't do it because I use an all-digital pad. (I prefer the sharper response at racing speeds - or up to Subsonic, where I'm much more consistent with it than I am on a DS3.)

But at Zone 80+, the lack of an analogue airbrake to counterbrake out of T1 becomes a slight handicap. I have to manually steer the ship out of its lean - Stunt Car Racer, which gives me a smaller margin for error than feathering the brake. If I apply digital brake I slam into the barrier.

By the time I'd got used to the DS3 again, I fear I'd have lost my digital skills for normal racing. I'm happy with the 100+ I can run!

Anyway, help...

The first thing is having the patience to acquire the necessary composure. The first time I managed 80 was with my heartrate doubled, fingers tight on the pad, and I crashed out within a couple of laps. But you do acclimatise after enough mileage at each given speed. By the time I was running 85s, 80 was no longer a problem; ditto 85s at a peak of 90, and so on.

My heartrate barely rises at all now; I've good days and bad, but the speeds up to 110 are familiar.

Other than counterbraking - which you don't need until Mach 1, the main thing is learning to 'spot' corners, rather than trying to track a vanishing point.* Vanishing points work in cars because - once they're established mid-corner - their grip is often linear enough to be known through the exit. If it's prone to oversteering or understeering etc. (In real life you can feel the grip through your fingers and arse, of course.)

WipEout's quite different in that the ship can steer dramatically off-course following a minor overreaction. It isn't progressive steering. So if you're locked onto the vanishing point and your peripheral vision indicates a nearby wall, you might steer a mite away and fly into the opposing barrier. The solution is to - occasionally, because the vanishing point still applies to many corners - stare at the ground immediately in front of the ship (you need to know the course!) and simply react to the closeness of the two sides. Keep it in the middle! The two coloured lines are your reaction markers.

On Anulpha, you can do this by looking at the ceiling (most Zones) on the approach to the bottleneck. The ceiling architecture follows the exact racing line, so if you can't see over a brow... (Indoor tracks, obviously.)

But spotting is what dancers/figure skaters do during spins to reduce dizziness. Before performing a spin, you find something to focus on, and - with your head stationary - rotate your body to 180 degrees. Then you whip your head around to refocus, as your body completes one rotation. Body > head > body.

At Supersonic, I typically follow the ceiling through the bottleneck, and then aim just wide of the speed pad before the two lefts before the bridge. Avoiding this pad allows for a slower speed and roomier entry into the first left, but you must dab the right brake before running wide. I do this by focusing on the vanishing point until I'm close to the right-hander, and then I let my eyes jump to the right of the two white lines as I tap the brake.

Focusing thus:

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Big, bad post, but hopefully somewhat informative. And I'd like to say it again: the WipEout community is the friendliest hardcore-gaming scene I've known. Unlike fighters and shooters, you can't say: 'Yeah, it's impressive on paper, but he was playing against noobs; I could do that.'

*The vanishing point is the point at which the sides of the track visually meet; in case anyone was wondering. We steer in the direction we're looking, so if you focus on a roadside tree mid-slide, you're likely to hit it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, yeah: I recommend setting your analogue airbrakes between 50 and 70 per cent in the controls menu.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    awesome post and will refer back to for both games.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think it's a real shame there's no non-scoring Free Mode for each of the 12 zones. Supersonic is visually stunning.

[edit]

I haven't mentioned Turn 1 or the bridge during higher zones.

Bridge is easy: spot it as early as you can.

For T1, I always aim for the first pad (good for consistency, although you can run wide and cut back in), and then tap the left brake as I go over it. From there, I listen for 2 and 3. Every time I hear a boost I tap the brake. The length of each brake-hold depends on how far to the right I am; farther right and I brake for slightly longer.

The danger is in hearing 2 and braking just too much, missing the 3 I'm expecting to hit, and then correcting the ship too late because I didn't get the boost. Occasionally, you go over 1 and through the twin 2s, avoiding 3. One tap of the brake's all you want there.

Analogue counterbraking on T1's exit is really helpful, allowing for subtle adjustments on-the-fly.

But like I said: I'm actually better with digital brakes because they're what I'm used to. And they're definitely quicker for side-shifting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!