ROCKET LAWN CHAIR! The run and gun thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I never really got on with Gunstar Heroes - found it too manic which sounds odd as I love Metal Slug - but I never felt I was in control in Gunstar Heroes..

EDIT: You know - I think forums should have overlapping posts on page turns - just the last 2 or 3 posts on the previous page would help....

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gunstar I can actually complete without creditspamming, so that's a boon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

impressive.

• Err it's not hard so I'm gonna assuming sarc.
  • I can get to the boss rush on 1cc, gets iffy there though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I'm crap then - plus the fact it just didn't click with me meant I didn't perservere...

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've just ordered Anthology on Wii, although lack of CC support grates somewhat. So um yeah. I've only played 3,4,5 - the latter two on the oldbox.
  • davyK wrote:
    (I'm gonna have to play In The Hunt tonight)
    I will be very surprised if you don't like it.

I probably should have added an 'again' in there, I've had it for MAME for a while. Great game, gonna stick it on now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Very impressive, but he skips the submarine section! That's the most fun part of the game, bar the zombies. I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE DOING A SPEED RUN, YOU DO THE SUBMARINE BIT, YOU HEATHEN.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I've just ordered Anthology on Wii, although lack of CC support grates somewhat. So um yeah. I've only played 3,4,5 - the latter two on the oldbox.

No classic pad support is a massive disappointment, but from what I remember it works OK with a GC pad (as I think others have said) and a sideways Wiimote is pretty serviceable.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

No classic pad support is a massive disappointment, but from what I remember it works OK with a GC pad (as I think others have said) and a sideways Wiimote is pretty serviceable.

Wiimote on its side would be fine if the idiots hadn't required waggle for grenades - inexcusable.

Also with the GC pad - you select the game from the main screen using left and right on the dpad - but in-game you can't use the d-pad for left/right movement - very sloppy. Played it for a while tonight and there are occasional pauses at the end of level sections in MS3 for loading which I forgot about - quite short and not really invasive - but surely unnecessary.

options-wise you can select other idiotic control schemes that all require waggle or tilt - so GC is really the only viable control option which you can configure a fair bit except for left and right! You can select from 3 difficulty levels and choose between limited credits(20) and free play. There's a gallery with stuff to unlock but that's about it for any extras.

One other thing with Wii Anthology - set your TV ratio to 4:3 otherwise the graphics are a bit stretched and you lose a couple of lines off the bottom - why couldn't that have been dealt with in-game? Sloppy again.

It's frustrating that such a well regarded series doesn't seem to get the royal treatment.

MS3 on PS2 is great - has 60Hz mode in PAL and has a couple of mini-games as extras too. If you only want one game then that one is probably the best to go for. That video posted by pabloamigo above seems to be the PS2 version going by the select screens at the start,

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Wiimote on its side would be fine if the idiots hadn't required waggle for grenades - inexcusable.

I'd forgotten about that. Not good at all.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Yep - the remote has 6 buttons and a dpad - not best placed for some games but Metal Slug would have been fine.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It was a severely missed opportunity. Imagine, if they'd supported the classic pad, I could have used the arcade stick I got with Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. That would have been immense.
  • I would definitely have bought the TvC stick if it was supported in Anthology. I don't mind the GC controller at all, but I still find myself playing MS on my laptop more often than not.

Fully customisable 360 pad controls or arcade stick If you prefer. Great stuff.
  • Also, MS 7 still hasn't arrived. It's been on order a week now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fully customisable 360 pad controls or arcade stick If you prefer. Great stuff.

The 360 pad holds up surprisingly well, I don't have any qualms using it for XX on XBLA.
    Also, MS 7 still hasn't arrived. It's been on order a week now.

I'm going to have to start chasing up my eBay seller, my copy hasn't arrived yet either and it's been a fair old while.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    It was a severely missed opportunity. Imagine, if they'd supported the classic pad, I could have used the arcade stick I got with Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. That would have been immense.

Lovely stick that - have tried it out on some of the WiiWare stuff like Contra Rebirth and Star Soldier R - nice.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Lovely stick that - have tried it out on some of the WiiWare stuff like Contra Rebirth and Star Soldier R - nice.

Hadn't thought of that. To the WiiWare mobile!
  • Metal Slug 7's just arrived at m'work :) . Will get on it at lunch.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Mine showed up with the morning post, will have a sit down with it later this evening.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Have to say, I'm pretty impressed. It's got all of the features of XX on XBLA, including the Combat School challenge missions, bar the DLC character, which is to be expected. Not quite as pretty as it's big brother, of course, but it's not too shabby at all, especially considering it's a DS game and the speed it runs at.

Haven't spotted many differences between 7 and XX yet, though. The only thing I've seen so far that's different is the waterfall section in mission 3; in 7 there's no falling tank wrecks.
  • This guy listed the differences he found, nothing major it seems. Only had a couple of goes at it so far and made it to mission 4. It's good fun this, can see it becoming one of my most played DS/3DS games.
  • Also, the small screen size of my standard 3DS doesn't hinder the gameplay at all. I'll admit I was a little worried about that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I concur on both points.

The one thing I do like about 7 on DS over XX on XBLA... character descriptions! No more having to guess what each character's special abilities are.

Pondering going for the 1 continue play through of XX, it's the only achievement I haven't got. It should be do-able, it's just whether I can be bothered putting the time in to get that good/build the muscle memory.
  • Go for it! I'd long since given up hope of ever 1CC'ing a Metal Slug game, but 7, while not easy, certainly seems easier than many others. I might try for it with this.
  • Was there an anthology on Oldbox? Remember playing one on that..
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Go for it! I'd long since given up hope of ever 1CC'ing a Metal Slug game, but 7, while not easy, certainly seems easier than many others. I might try for it with this.

I'll have a few practices today, but I seriously doubt I'll ever do it. Something to aim for though.

Saying that, I could do most of MS3 on Oldbox on normal difficulty with the three continues it gave you. Reckon I'll go for it with Fio (starts with a machine gun, does more damage) and put the difficulty down to beginner.
    Was there an anthology on Oldbox? Remember playing one on that..

Not that I know of, but it did get (IIRC) 3, 4 and 5.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!