The E3 Thread of Anger and Hatred and Grrrrr
  • 30mins of Nintendo does Little Big Planet with touch controls, think I'll go pub instead.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • WorKid wrote:
    Man I hate E3. What a ridiculous way to announce stuff. This industry needs to grow up.
    Sums the the way I've felt for a few years now. I just find the whole format horribly cringeworthy.
    There used to be genuine whooping and then a presentation without whooping had 'failed' because of the 'distinct lack of whooping there' so they start to employ people to encourage whooping, before you know it there are professional whoppers, it's like the German WWII tank fucking arms race.
    Must build bigger tanks.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Man I hate E3. What a ridiculous way to announce stuff. This industry needs to grow up.

Good point.

You know what also got to me?

'And from today, you can sign up to participate in our alpha/beta... Don't worry... Clap nao', blow us later...'

There are two things wrong with that. 

The first is how we're all supposed to be excited about being playtesters now... 

I mean, I'm a mug for it too... I paid to check out an advanced build of SF4 Ultra like a muppet, but now, incomplete builds appear to be headline news (they used to call them previews, innit?). 

I can't quite work out if that's a good or a bad thing right now. I'm leaning towards the latter, but let's be honest, only 12 - 24 months ago, beta access would have felt like a privilege.

Now it almost feels like a scam.

The second issue was about using E3 as a development milestone, which kinda' builds on what Wor's saying, but fuck it. Companies are out to make money, and late spring is probably about the time when brick and mortar retailers need to make inventory orders and such like.

Perhaps it will change in the near future when the online stores become the primary retail outlet. Maybe then things might change a little, but not much, because you can't download a physical console over broadband...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Eurogamer have a roundup here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-04-e3-2014-guide

Besides the obvious Halo stuff and Star Wars Battlefront, the thing that I'm most excited about is the fact that I'll finally get to play Grim Fandango at some point. I presume an iOS version will appear at some stage. Other than that, this was fairly meh.
  • You know what also got to me? 'And from today, you can sign up to participate in our alpha/beta... Don't worry... Clap nao', blow us later...' There are two things wrong with that.  The first is how we're all supposed to be excited about being playtesters now...  I mean, I'm a mug for it too... I paid to check out an advanced build of SF4 Ultra like a muppet, but now, incomplete builds appear to be headline news (they used to call them previews, innit?).  I can't quite work out if that's a good or a bad thing right now. I'm leaning towards the latter, but let's be honest, only 12 - 24 months ago, beta access would have felt like a privilege. Now it almost feels like a scam.

I think that if done far enough in advance, it's a good thing. Halo 3 and Reach had a beta, which allowed Bungie to see how it played in the real world. They went away and made a whole bunch of tweaks, and the games launched in better condition for it.

Halo 4 did not have a beta, and arrived broken. It's perfectly possible that it didn't play like that in testing, because it's a more controlled environment. I know from Forge maps alone that what you do in testing your own map can mean fuck all when you have a full lobby in it, so I imagine that the limited bunch of QA peeps that have been walked though how everything is supposed to work will differ from what happens when the likes of you and me get our hands on it.

When you have a 'beta' that happens mere weeks before the game comes out that allows no time for changes, that's a rip, and should properly be called a demo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You know what also got to me? 'And from today, you can sign up to participate in our alpha/beta... Don't worry... Clap nao', blow us later...' There are two things wrong with that.  The first is how we're all supposed to be excited about being playtesters now...  I mean, I'm a mug for it too... I paid to check out an advanced build of SF4 Ultra like a muppet, but now, incomplete builds appear to be headline news (they used to call them previews, innit?).  I can't quite work out if that's a good or a bad thing right now. I'm leaning towards the latter, but let's be honest, only 12 - 24 months ago, beta access would have felt like a privilege. Now it almost feels like a scam.
    I think that if done far enough in advance, it's a good thing. Halo 3 and Reach had a beta, which allowed Bungie to see how it played in the real world. They went away and made a whole bunch of tweaks, and the games launched in better condition for it. Halo 4 did not have a beta, and arrived broken. It's perfectly possible that it didn't play like that in testing, because it's a more controlled environment. I know from Forge maps alone that what you do in testing your own map can mean fuck all when you have a full lobby in it, so I imagine that the limited bunch of QA peeps that have been walked though how everything is supposed to work will differ from what happens when the likes of you and me get our hands on it. When you have a 'beta' that happens mere weeks before the game comes out that allows no time for changes, that's a rip, and should properly be called a demo.

Reach arrived broken. It improved a bit after title and matchmaking updates, but there is no question that the MP was broken at launch and still probably the worst Halo MP experience.

4 had many issues at launch, but I'd say it landed in a far better state than Reach.
  • Reach at launch was better than the Reach Beta.

Honestly, hand on heart I thought that Reach was better than 4. I'll concede that 4 now is better than Reach now, but at launch Reach was better. This might have something to do with AA's being the problem in Reach as opposed to the fundamental way the game played in 4.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ordnance was a failed experiment in changing how the game played, it wasn't something that broke the game. Armour Lock, Active Camo and bloom were far worse additions that made the game fundamentally more frustrating.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It broke the traditional Halo feel, sure. However, the fundamentals of the new style were pretty rock solid.

Armour Lock and Active Camo, on the other hand, could completely break games.
  • I see Yoss's point.
    Halo 4 functioned it was just a different type of game.
  • Reach was a load of garbage. AA ruined it. Cunts doing armor lock and fucking invis everywhere made for horrible multiplayer. I can't see how anyone could think that AA would add to the experience in any way. Headhunter was the best thing about Reach.
  • A lot of the same old games and overhyped CGI shorts in reality.  But gamers are spoilt these days and moan for the sake of it so I'm not going to be like some of you grumpy sods.  ;)  <-- winky smiley means I am being nice when saying that, honest.

Excited for Little Big Planet 3, have never owned a LBP game before and the wife/kid will love it.  Far Cry 4 YES PLEASE. 

What's this Bloodborne about?  I missed the Sony event and have been reading snippets this morning.
    Rascal chops.
  • How long is Nintendo Direct likely to be? Need to plan the day!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I believe Bloodborne is the official title of Project Beast.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    How long is Nintendo Direct likely to be? Need to plan the day!!

I don't know but here are my predictions for Nintendo's show:

Mario
    Zelda
    More Mario
    Mario Arts & Crafts
    More Mario
    Rascal chops.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I believe Bloodborne is the official title of Project Beast.

Ah thought as much, thanks mate.
    Rascal chops.
  • I'm hoping for Metroid and Star Fox, maybe F Zero. And more news on Bayo 2 and that Monolith RPG, forget it's name. 

Probably too much to ask for. They'll just announce more Mario sports titles or something.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm hoping for Metroid and Star Fox, maybe F Zero. And more news on Bayo 2 and that Monolith RPG, forget it's name.  Probably too much to ask for. They'll just announce more Mario sports titles or something.

Star Fox would be full of awesome.  I'd probably buy a Wii U just for it.
    Rascal chops.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

Its been confirmed for 30 minutes long, don't be expecting much.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm hoping for Metroid and Star Fox, maybe F Zero. And more news on Bayo 2 and that Monolith RPG, forget it's name.  Probably too much to ask for. They'll just announce more Mario sports titles or something.
    I just want Zelda to look amazing and either a Metroid or a Starfox game announced and i'll be happy. Probably would prefer Starfox more since it will have more to gain graphically and I never liked the one on the GC.

X and Bayonetta 2 will definitely be shown.

edit:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ah really? Expectations, lowered.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

No it hasn't. Thirty minutes is the nico nico timeslot. It's meant to be closer to an hour.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Which one of you guys was supposed to be the authority on Nintendo again? I don't know who to believe! :o
  • I'd say, Vela right now. Post count in Wii U thread: 188,172, compared to Retro's 187,356.
  • Reach was a load of garbage. AA ruined it. Cunts doing armor lock and fucking invis everywhere made for horrible multiplayer. I can't see how anyone could think that AA would add to the experience in any way. Headhunter was the best thing about Reach.

Armour Lock seemed to be designed for objective gametypes, but either way, every single AA bar jetpack would have worked better as equipment. Invis was a great pickup, but fucking afwul AA.

Still, the development of 4 gives me hope that 5 is going back to it's roots.
  • Halo 3 had a perfect pick up system. Reach ruined it.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I'd say, Vela right now. Post count in Wii U thread: 188,172, compared to Retro's 187,356.

And dont you forget it!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mike wrote:
    Star Fox would be full of awesome.  I'd probably buy a Wii U just for it.

I would too. 

But only if it's not shite, because there have been some stinkers in the series since the 64 version*. 

* And even that didn't entertain me as the first game did, what with the fucking tank, the submarine, and free roaming shit... Though the "Independence Day" level was noice'
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I thought the ds one was really cool. They should incorporate that strategy bit into any wii u version.
  • I like the fact we're pretty much all talking about the games we're hyped or not hyped for, and not the ins and outs of a streaming service, or resolution, or used game policy. All I'm seeing is games, and it's great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!