Dedication..
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This isn't a 'gamer'. This is 'spends 12 hours a day playing'.

But he doesn't do this all the time, right? It's just a world record attempt?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • He might be one of those skinny people who eats and lives like a fat person but doesn't put on any weight. Bad skin, greasy hair but no fat, then they have a colossal heart attack because all that fat is in their arteries instead.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    This isn't a 'gamer'. This is 'spends 12 hours a day playing'.

But he doesn't do this all the time, right? It's just a world record attempt?

Got to train for that world record attempt yo.
  • He says on the FAQ that he's only been playing Mario 64 for two years. Surely he can't mean that was the first time he played it?
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He says on the FAQ that he's only been playing Mario 64 for two years. Surely he can't mean that was the first time he played it?

We'l probably have to accept the fact that's probably a yes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    By "playing" he probably means "wasting his life". He began wasting his life 2 years ago.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What's the longest amount of straight time you guys have spent/are willing to admit playing on a game? Out of interest.

I've had some half a day WoW sessions and I didn't even like it that much. Probably the same for Dark Souls when I first got it.
  • No more than 8 hours with breaks I wouldn't have thought. Breaks including 30 minute trips to the shop.
  • I've probably done 12 hour stints in my teens, never now though.
  • Fairly sure the first Saturday that Dark Souls dropped I probably pulled an 18 hour stint on that mother. 

DEEPLY ENGROSSING HEROIN.

When Tekken Tag 2 drops I am likely to play it continuously until I die after staying awake for five days or something.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    What are the Koreans earning six figure salaries playing Starcraft then?
    Hardly comparable.

Koreans playing Starcraft 12 hours a day in a culture where professional Starcraft is akin to more traditional professional sports in both a monetary sense as well as exposure VS playing Mario for 12 hours a day because.... what?
  • I'd wager if I added up the total time spent by this guy plaing MK64 over the last 2 years who is now trying break a record it will be miniscule compared to the last 12 years I have spent playing Tekken for fun. 

Perhaps the guy is just doing it for no reason other than personal satisfaction.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Don't do it often but when Skyrim came out I probably had a few 18 hour+ sessions for the first week.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I'd wager if I added up the total time spent by this guy plaing MK64 over the last 2 years who is now trying break a record it will be miniscule compared to the last 12 years I have spent playing Tekken for fun. 

Perhaps the guy is just doing it for no reason other than personal satisfaction.

lol, he's playing M64 not MK64 :D:D

He's doing it because he wants to be a world record holder and believes he's finally got the skills to do it. He's got the time to dedicate and wants to set a time which no one else will beat. In doing it the ways he's doing it, its quite clever because psychologically whoever wants to break it will know/think how much time it took to get it before.

He already got the WR but he's not satisfied, so as he's well within the time frames he's pushing to beat/maximise his own record.

Longest stints of play i've ever had were playing ISS2000 from 5 in the afternoon till 2am quite regularly at uni. Games are quite long though. Its like playing H3 last night, I started at 8 and finished at 10.30. But at least 30 minutes of that is waiting on lobbies for matches to start.

What would get me about his run/aim is that that first 4 levels (not stars/levels) he's done hundreds if not thousands of times alone since he started it and its so flawless but so repetetive.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I know I'm in the land of the gamers here, but 18 hour sessions? Fucking hell.
  • Yeah that is a bit extreme, I'm not sure I could maintain a competitive/useful level of play for that long.

My longer sessions now are often ended by being too drunk to do anything. Beers and games have become one in recent years.
  • Single and unemployed.

I should also point out that it wouldn't be 18 hours solid.  There would be a few breaks in there with a few of them being close to an hour.

And actually now I think about it properly I'm probably getting my numbers wrong.  More like 14 to 16 hours.
  • When my other half takes the baby to see her parents and I've got a day and night free, I'd probably spend 10 hours playing games, with breaks.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He should try for the endurance wanking championship.
  • Might be stiff competition...
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • He will be raw if he loses (or wins)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Coming second is acceptable.
  • I remember playing championship manager for about 10 hours straight (with food around me). That must've been 97/98
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    I remember playing championship manager for about 10 hours straight (with food around me). That must've been 97/98

I'd still do that now, luckily the latest FM hasn't grabbed me for whatever reason.
  • I remember playing Mario Kart 64 at uni for 18 hours solid against a buddy of mine. Loser chose the next track and it ended up something like 175-170. 

Not as bad as another friend who played Fifa religiously and constructed handmade graphs and bar charts of his  squad's ratings and game to goal ratios. He failed his first year at uni..
  • Stopharage wrote:
    I remember playing Mario Kart 64 at uni for 18 hours solid against a buddy of mine. Loser chose the next track and it ended up something like 175-170. 

Not as bad as another friend who played Fifa religiously and constructed handmade graphs and bar charts of his  squad's ratings and game to goal ratios. He failed his first year at uni..

i'm sure it wasn't funny but it was to me two seconds ago.

• I don't eat when I play games, I am the antitheses of fat nerds, but I have great skin and golden, luxurious hair as the' stockers will attest to.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I had nightmares once about yeast growing out between the keys and enveloping my hands.
  • I definitely became fully nocturnal at one stage.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!