daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    that were a great review.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • This is rather good so far. Quite like it when I fuck up purely by my own inadequacies and having to adapt. First game ive really ever felt that in. Although it only really works if you can limit the fuck up, avoiding escalating it into a full out war.

Crowd scenes are very nice - providing you dont try and break it.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Not available in my country?  Where the hell are we, Paris?!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Three missions in, so far so good.  There have been some hints of the dialogue from spectators not really fitting the situation, but I imagine it would be almost impossible to eliminate reactions feeling scripted.  I'm happy to be lenient with my judgement until later.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Not available in my country?  Where the hell are we, Paris?!

Obviously don't support upside down conversion.

• I shot a gun in the face. He then spoke to me. I pretended it didnt happen.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I do love a game that loads the level then the objects in it so when it starts you see everything suddenly drop a tiny bit.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    I thought Max Payne 3 would be the only game this year where the developers didn't get the appeal of their own franchise. I was wrong. This aint no hitman. Its splinter cell with nuns.

The people I know who've never played a hitman game seem to be loving it though, so what do I know (aside from the joy and freedom of Blood Money)?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone playing this on PC with an Nvidia card might want to look at installing the latest Beta drivers instead of the WHQL ones, it specifically notes improved performance.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I too thought it was a bit Splinter Cell and so far I am enjoying it with the only problem being that I am shit at it, and when I say shit I don't mean the odd detection here and there but I end up having to shoot everybody!

This is on Amazon's Black-Friday Week thing today at noon (both 360 and PS3, currently lists at £34'ish) so anybody that was umming and arring this might be your chance to grab a cheap copy...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Anyone playing this on PC with an Nvidia card might want to look at installing the latest Beta drivers instead of the WHQL ones, it specifically notes improved performance.

But DO NOT use these on Win8 Pro.

ffs.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I still not sure i quite get how this works. The games point system is based around not being seen, not killing anyone uneccesary, but to me that sounds like there's really only one 'perfect' way to do each scenario, which is bullshit! Freedom of choice is supposed to be its selling point.

Also, why don't i start each level with my preferred silenced pistol(s)?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The same reason you still get a headshot bonus when shooting a civilian in the head.
  • Yeah, scoring system is 100% bullshit. Should have kept it to Contracts mode.

If a game is open to all possibilities you shouldnt be rewarded or punished by a points system. Appealing to an XP craving generation. Urghh.
  • Just completed this. The 3rd act/last 4 or 5 levels are outright appalling. Genuinely appalling, flat, uninspired level design. Budget clearly ran out.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-22-hitman-franchise-future-split-over-two-teams-like-call-of-duty-dev-says

They could have got away with this back when the game was a sandbox. If the franchise had been the same as blood money with new levels I'd be queuing up every year but this linear story-focused bullshit has put me right off.
  • I though this was rather good over all.  It does force gameplay to be more linear but it's not nearly as streamlined as some seem to be suggesting and there are still ways of getting around a map.  The 'Instinct' mechanism is a good one, being able to predict figures movements is a nice compensation for not having a map, and I like the idea of getting rewarded for marksmanship and progress.  Unlocking mild ability upgrades though points seemed like a bit of a waste of time, as did the report at the end of missions telling you how many items you utilized as if that were somehow relevant to being a legendary hitman.  I had more fun when I just played the mission how I liked and largely ignored the points system.  I'll have you know that no one survived the corn fields.  Fuck them for daring to hunt their own.
  • I've played a bit more of it, i'm just infiltrating some mine place, thingy.

When its a sandbox, its great, the levels where i had to kill larry's cronies were fun with plenty of possibilities. And then theres the splinter cell levels, it wouldnt bug me so much if those levels had a few multiple routes in them, theres a couple where the path splits off, but for the most part they're just funneling me where they want me to go, and as said before, thats not Hitman, the Sandbox, levels seems to enable to me to put up with the odd linear infiltration mission, i just want to get through them get to the sandboxy goodness.

I don't mind them trying to add a story and putting the infiltration levels in, but make them more open, gives us some objectives, to do in them besides getting from A to B, perhaps having some side contract targets to kill in them.

I like the score system, its set around beign a "Silent Assassin" so it works for what they want you to do, and im finding it fun having PSN friends names showing as the high score, gives me something to aim at.

The new UI's good, controls are better and smoother and the detection part is alot better then the previous games, yellow/red/black)iirc) meter, i think it would have been a top top game had they had 75% sandbox levels and 25% story/infiltration missions, as it is its more weighted to the story/infiltration missions it hurts it and knocks it down a couple of notches.

Still im happy-ish with my purchase, £30 well spent and at least it staved off me dropping 40 squids on the next annual Call of Duty knock out.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Last time I played a Hitman game before this one was on the PS2 and I was shocking at it. I still am pretty bad because I panic too much but I still find myself enjoying it. The story...meh...it's extremely dull and i'm finding myself tempted to skip the cutscenes :/ Bummed to hear that the last few levels aren't so good though :(
  • This should be one of my favourite games right now but it hasn't clicked.  I enjoyed Silent Assassin, even enjoyed Contracts (although I can't find my second Xbox copy I bought in the summer), and absolutely loved Blood Money.  The things that made those games was the sense of not endless possibilities, but an obvious selection of half a dozen possibilities for each element so there was still some focus.  The map facility meant you could plan and stage events for ages while watching how people moved and reacted, thinking about routes etc.  

That's all been diluted a bit in Absolution.  The mapping's not as simple, accessible or clear so you can't structure your way around levels, or even spot an exclamation point and decide that's where you need to get to.  Kills are much more opportunistic, it seems that there's no way to freely roam some of the earlier levels I've done so I end up panicking and sticking a pair of giant scissors through my target's head then tossing them into a hiding place, rather than setting up some crazy trap.

I've only played a few hours, but so far every level seems to be 1000 NPCs, rain, and some sort of derelict building.  Combined with the lack of a full map it means it's so difficult to hide.  I'm not enjoying set pieces like hiding from a helicopter too much either, I want freedom to roam my levels with just a target.  

I see what they've tried to do, as things like the full map never made much sense before, but it's not clicking yet.  Plus, the scoring system seems like it adds amazing replayability, likewise the Contracts mode, so I do want to get into it.  I'm not sure how I get all of the "tiles" after a mission though, it seems like there's credit for picking up one of every possible weapon etc?

So far it's disappointed, but I need to give it more time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I got this for Christmas and I'm currently on about the fourth or fifth mission, I think. It's actually the first Hitman game I've played since the Xbox original and thus far it's really good fun. Back in the original, most of my missions quickly became a massacre as my cover would get blown so I would whip out an assault rifle and complete it anyway, but the scoring system on this means that I tend to restart if spotted rather than murder everyone in a three mile radius.

I like the various different routes for completing a mission as well. This definitely has replay value.
  • I don't think those routes are as telegraphed from the start as they were in the previous games.  I miss the feeling of laying out the blueprints and observing, knowing that the vast majority of the level was open and I could wander around fine.  It seems that half the levels I've played so far are all restricted areas and result in attacks if you're spotted, so much less freedom so far.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Maybe I should track down a copy of Blood Money for comparison.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    hd collection should be here soon.

i enjoyed this apart from a few of the earlyer missions that funnel you thru.
    but the others are a lot more open than they first may seem.
    iv gone back thru a few of the missions to see if i could better my rating and discover anything i missed previously,
    the answers were both yes.
    theres some real invention to the multiple routes and the harder ones seem more rewarding too.

some of the best deaths too.......who else cut the wires and turned the power on when the guy pisses against them?

• The open missions early on (I really am just 5 missions in or so, last one I remember was the hotel one, and I think I've
    Spoiler:
    So I'm not very far through.  That said, the levels still just don't feel right.  The hotel one's a case in point, as soon as you cross the road, boom, restricted area.  You can't roam freely, you can't explore, you can't set your hit up.  Once you finally get through the hotel, you eventually end up in a library section I think, absolutely gigantic, and completely crawling with about 2 dozen cops.

It's not Hitman from then on, it's Splinter Cell, or MGS or something.  It's all just stealth, sneaky stuff, hiding from them.  You can't kill them because they're not targets, so your only options are some neat distractions.  In the last games, the police hunting for you would only be a transient thing and there was always a way to bluff past them.  Maybe I just haven't settled into the traditional Hitman missions yet, but so far it feels like a misstep.

Couple that with the areas being so busy and confusing, with the rainy weather, the derelict nature of the buildings etc, you don't get that feeling of omnipotent knowledge that the old games had.  When you accessed the map it made sense that your superhuman bio-engineered assassin would be able to assess movement paths and identify likely targets even though he wasn't in line of sight.  So far Absolution feels like you've been half blinded.

I want to love it but it makes me want to play Contracts and Blood Money again instead.  Each level felt like a perfectly contained sandbox there, easy enough for you to try 2 or 3 different paths.  These levels are so big you can't experiment.
  • It's got a lot better!  Later missions like the motel, the gun shop, and the streets of Hope are much more traditional "Hitman;" lots of wandering around watching, planning, waiting, and then getting away with it.  So much fun!

More importantly, why did no-one mention there was an HD collection coming out?  I've just ordered it; has Hitman 2, Contracts and Blood Money, and everyone should play them.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    It's got a lot better!  Later missions like the motel, the gun shop, and the streets of Hope are much more traditional "Hitman;" lots of wandering around watching, planning, waiting, and then getting away with it.  So much fun! More importantly, why did no-one mention there was an HD collection coming out?  I've just ordered it; has Hitman 2, Contracts and Blood Money, and everyone should play them.

i mentioned the hd collections in an earlier post, but was ignored as usual.

theres some great levels towards the end of absolution too.
    not gonna spoiler anything but id like to know how you deal with a certain one later.

• daviedigi wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    It's got a lot better!  Later missions like the motel, the gun shop, and the streets of Hope are much more traditional "Hitman;" lots of wandering around watching, planning, waiting, and then getting away with it.  So much fun! More importantly, why did no-one mention there was an HD collection coming out?  I've just ordered it; has Hitman 2, Contracts and Blood Money, and everyone should play them.
    i mentioned the hd collections in an earlier post, but was ignored as usual. theres some great levels towards the end of absolution too. not gonna spoiler anything but id like to know how you deal with a certain one later.

I won't ignore ya Davie ! 

I'm late to Hitman - have never played one before  , bought absolution as it was cheap. And have just got Hitman HD , graphics don't look too special and something about limited saves , I'm guessing that's per mission ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Is there a general Hitman thread? Could only find this.

D/l the beta atm. Very excited. Is in my top 5 game series easily, and after the disappointment of Absolution I'm very much hoping the re-boot brings back the classic sandbox stylings.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just read on a few sites that the framerate suffers on PS4 on the beta, so the bone will too presumably.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!