The IT'S NOT DANTE thread of DmC: Devil may Cry
  • Brooks wrote:
    It's entertainment; the whole can be rejected in cause of a part, and with impunity. Because it's entertainment.

So, who's not going to see The Hobbit because Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo Baggins?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I'm not going to see The Hobbit because it is The Hobbit. Please select new film I might care about and the miscasting it is about to get all up in its guts.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    No, that's entirely legit as reasons go. What's unclear to me here is the substantial difference between Dante the former and Dante the to-be-released.

It's just not the same.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm not going to see The Hobbit because it is The Hobbit. Please select new film I might care about and the miscasting it is about to get all up in its guts.
    . Did you read the book?
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm not playing this game because Dante's shoes look a bit different.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I'm not going to see The Hobbit because it is The Hobbit. Please select new film I might care about and the miscasting it is about to get all up in its guts.
    . Did you read the book?

Yes, many a year ago. I've no real fondness for the franchise and don't relish a screen do-over, not least based on how bad the last three Jacksonian Middle Earth things were, though again I blame the source material.
  • Neither Dante manages even mere Sammy Hagar tier appeal, ftr
  • Brooks wrote:
    No, that's entirely legit as reasons go. What's unclear to me here is the substantial difference between Dante the former and Dante the to-be-released.

I understand that I'm in a minority insofar as appreciation of Dante the former goes, and things like this are going to to be a bit YMMV. But the original design for me was something of a classic look. The white mop stood out, and the jawline made him look like an action hero.

On top of that, this is a game that is all about the ridiculous. As such, I don't give a toss that original Dante would get laughed out of a bar in real life. In the first game he gets pinned to the floor with a sword, and stands up somehow managing to get the MASSIVE hilt through his chest, and then casually picks up the sword. It's that kind of game. Dark and gritty can fuck off. Christopher Nolan has a lot to fucking answer for.

Edit - Also he now smokes
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    . Did you read the book?
    Yes, many a year ago. I've no real fondness for the franchise and don't relish a screen do-over, not least based on how bad the last three Jacksonian Middle Earth things were, though again I blame the source material.
    . Fair enough.
    Get schwifty.
  • Edit - Also he now smokes

We all done crazy things in our youth.
  • I have faith in Ninja Theory, and little empathy with the original Dante, so I'm not bothered about this remake. I agree that characterisation is massively important though. I didn't like playing MGS4 because of Old Snake. Actually that was only 1 of many reasons
  • Can someone outline what it is about this Dante that is so different? All I'm seeing is a different hair colour and a slightly tweaked wardrobe.
  • monkey wrote:
    Can someone outline what it is about this Dante that is so different? All I'm seeing is a different hair colour and a slightly tweaked wardrobe.

I think I prefer the black hair over number 3's nipple strap.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Is the proverbial shit over yet?
  • monkey wrote:
    Can someone outline what it is about this Dante that is so different? All I'm seeing is a different hair colour and a slightly tweaked wardrobe.

Dildo had a go, but I'm inconvinced anything of value has been jettisoned.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's not that one is a better choice than the other so much, as the fact they're different.

It's OK saying "well what does it matter?", if it doesn't matter then why change it? Someone justify that and I might give it some credence.

Can't speak for anyone else but I like(d) the DMC games because of the story, character and gameplay in that order. If the only thing that matters is whether it's a good hack and slash then all game characters might as well be stickmen with no context or reason for their efforts.
  • No, I appreciate entirely that it matters, it's just in this particular instance the shift in presentation seems inconsequential. It's tapping the same cartoonish heavy metal foppery, just more a touch more Gerard Way than visual-kei, presumably to mirror how that broader aesthetic has itself shifted and so still belong to it.

Is that the issue, actually? That it's no longer sufficiently exotic?
  • Brooks wrote:
    No, I appreciate entirely that it matters, it's just in this particular instance the shift in presentation seems inconsequential.
    This. I genuinely don't see much difference. 

If they Poochy-fied Mario or something, that would be horrific. But I genuinely don't see what's meant to be so awful (that didn't look that way initially).
  • Brooks wrote:
    No, I appreciate entirely that it matters, it's just in this particular instance the shift in presentation seems inconsequential. It's tapping the same cartoonish heavy metal foppery, just more a touch more Gerard Way than visual-kei, presumably to mirror how that broader aesthetic has itself shifted and so still belong to it. Is that the issue, actually? That it's no longer sufficiently exotic?

In part yes. I don't really see dmc as particularly cartoonish visually, whereas the originals were. It no longer looks ridiculous, instead looking rather boring.
  • COME BUY DORNTE MEH CREY BEST PRICE 4U
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Is that the issue, actually? That it's no longer sufficiently exotic?

Hmm. No, not exotic.

I guess it boils down to the fact I can take and enjoy one-liners from someone that looks like DanteV1 and not an extra from the Twilight Saga.
  • New trailer, it's still looking like it's going to be very very good.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd hold off on very very good until we play it. Very good though.

January release though, ugh.
  • Hmm, looks pretty. Noticed a bunch of moves and combos that nod towards old DMC combos. Don't hate the Dante redesign, he appears to have OG Dante's slick rolling dodge rather than Nero's weighty mechanical dodge.

Almost looks a little to smooth though, the stinger and high time attacks should have a lot of weight behind them, that was the fun.
  • Vergil will be making an appearance
    Capcom announced Vergil’s return at a pre-Gamescom event, and explained that Vergil recruits Dante into a group called the Order to help him get revenge on the demon enslaving mankind. The Order is a group of hackers, spies and other roles brought together to save mankind.

They have been estranged since childhood, and Dante has no recollection of him. Vergil and Dante will guard each other with their life as they fight against the demons.

Capcom then revealed a trailer that showed both brothers fighting side by side in cut-scenes, and squabbling over the game’s female character. Dante wants to save her at the potential cost of their mission, but Vergil wants to focus on the issue at hand.

New gameplay then showed Dante infiltrating the lair of the demon’s corrupt media mogul, swinging through warped world plastered with news tickers and warped infographics.

Reaching the end of an elevated walkway, the media mogul’s face phases out of the wall and confronts Dante. The two exchange words, expletives and the middle finger before a battle erupts.

In a stroke of brilliance the camera then pans back like a news report as Dante starts fighting a pack of goons. The media mogul commentates on the battle, spinning tons of propaganda about Dante to rally the demons against him – Calling him a drunk, focusing on his violent acts and more. It’s rather clever.
    Source
  • 360 demo out today apparently. PS3 demo out tomorrow.
  • It's there. With one for Epic Mickey 2, too.
  • Epic Mickey 2 is ok. I'm sick of it though as Alex likes to watch me play it. I've completed the demo 10 times at least.
  • It's pretty good. Combat is solid, enemies are.... there, plot is usual rubbish. Dubstep Dante looks a £20'er to me.
  • I was not expecting it to turn out this well, nailed the combat feel, incorporating all the best combo elements of the series and fluid as hell "I can't believe it's not 60 frames" look. Would buy at a high price.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!