Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Of all the auto-corrections I've seen I must say that 'middle easy' is one of my favourites!
  • Fuck, I thought I corrected it!

Igor, it's all about humidity. With no moisture in the air, 45C in Nevada's quite nice.
  • Does 45C not feel hot then in Nevada?  I know that high humidity makes hot weather hard work - I remember in China one day having a shower then going for a gentle post-breakfast amble only to have to return to the hotel to shower again 15 minutes later.
  • Yes, but a nice, holiday-style sit-on-the-beach dry heat. Not a sweaty, unpleasant, moist, no-air-con heat.
  • Yeah, I don't like the heat, humid or otherwise.  I don't do beaches, sunbathing and stuff.  I hide in the shade.
  • I had no problem with the humidity in the humidity places but perhaps I missed the really humid bits.  Onyhoo, what's there to do in Paris?
  • I find humidity to be awful. The humid, non-air-conditioned environment at Gatwick, even though it was only 20C or so, felt much more unpleasant than Nevada at 42C when I left.
  • There's a tower, go see that.
  • Climb the eiffel tower, visit the louvre.  Wear a trench-coat and drink black coffee and read livres de poche.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I had no problem with the humidity in the humidity places but perhaps I missed the really humid bits.  Onyhoo, what's there to do in Paris?
    McCrabby is there, go and find him.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Has anyone ever worked in the Middle East? If so... thoughts?
    Where in the Middle East? Between myself, some colleagues and my in-laws, I can tap experience of working in Saudi, Qatar, Bahrain, the Oman, Dubai, and other parts of the UAE.
    Any of the above, really. I'm trying to put together a 5 year plan and am considering job opportunities in that region for some point in the future. Oman sounds good. Dubai too.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    I had no problem with the humidity in the humidity places but perhaps I missed the really humid bits.  Onyhoo, what's there to do in Paris?
    McCrabby is there, go and find him.

I'm not going until the 15th of August.  Will he still be there?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think so, he's trying to stay there for as long as he can from what he tells me.  He might see this thread and comment.  Either way, I can find out.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • What's he doing there?  Just hiding from the spiders and whatnot?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I find humidity to be awful. The humid, non-air-conditioned environment at Gatwick, even though it was only 20C or so, felt much more unpleasant than Nevada at 42C when I left.

Singapore is the worst place I've been for humidity.  It was horrible.  I walked across a platform in a train station from one air conditioned train to another.  I was soaking by the time I got there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    What's he doing there?  Just hiding from the spiders and whatnot?
    Mostly.  He rode his bike ride across the Americas in search of Incan gold and then decided to go to Europe to extend his search for gold and possibly himself.  I could have told him where he was the whole time though.

... basically, I dunno.  He's on holiday, kinda, but might stay, thus making it a non-holiday.  Bored of Australia I think.  I might meet him UK-side late this year/early next if I finish this Ph.D, at which point the first annual Skerretstock will be held.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I find humidity to be awful. The humid, non-air-conditioned environment at Gatwick, even though it was only 20C or so, felt much more unpleasant than Nevada at 42C when I left.
    It was 42°C on my first visit to the Bahamas and tbh I found it more unpleasant here in the summer than I did there...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's 38-40 here in greece and its a dry heat. Having lived in a very similar state to Elm, with 100 degree Fahrenheit days, he must be made of metal if he isn't feeling uncomfortable in 42 Celsius Vegas.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's 38-40 here in greece and its a dry heat. Having lived in a very similar state to Elm, with 100 degree Fahrenheit days, he must be made of metal if he isn't feeling uncomfortable in 42 Celsius Vegas.

It's just not that bad.  It's hot, sure, but I've become convinced that the humidity is what makes heat feel unpleasant.  I don't exactly go running in 42C (although I can crack 32C, it's like running with a hairdryer blowing in your face, but it's doable), and I don't elect to walk a mile to a shop when the car's available, but I find it absolutely lovely to lie in the back yard with my Kindle, occasionally dipping in the pool to cool off.

By comparison, the 20C + high humidity of the Edinburgh Airport car hire centre had me sweating within 5 minutes to a greater extent than my 42C back yard does.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Has anyone ever worked in the Middle East? If so... thoughts?
    Where in the Middle East? Between myself, some colleagues and my in-laws, I can tap experience of working in Saudi, Qatar, Bahrain, the Oman, Dubai, and other parts of the UAE.
    Any of the above, really. I'm trying to put together a 5 year plan and am considering job opportunities in that region for some point in the future. Oman sounds good. Dubai too.

All are unpleasantly nightmareishly hot; like Matt's Singapore story.  Of those, the Oman's the nicest place to live and work and everyone I know who goes there loves it.  I know a few people who work for the Omani Air Force so I'll ask them for some more info if you like, and it's a job I'm considering in the future.

Qatar is nice and cosmopolitan, there are a lot of military types at Al Udeid near Doha and I have a few chums who fly for Etihad out of there too.  My in-laws spent a decade in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and it sounds broadly similar.

I have about half a dozen ex-colleagues who work in Saudi for BAe, and it sounds like a total utter fucking hellhole.  Most only survive by working out of Dharain and being able to hop over the border to Bahrain every weekend for some respite.  I think a lot of the pain they suffer comes from working indirectly for the Saudi government, though, but it's certainly nowhere near as friendly, progressive or welcoming as the UAE or the Oman, especially for westerners and women.

If you have any specifics for any of the areas I'll drop some people a line and ask.  It seems in general though, people who go there with the most support manage best, and it suits younger workers.  If you work for a big oil company who'll provide a massive house, a few servants, and a country club membership for your wife like my father-in-law's did, then it can make anywhere pretty pleasant.  Friends flying for Emirates and Etihad have had mixed experience, but the guys who jumped from their first airline job at 26-30 and did it before wife & kids came along coped better.

The ex-RAF guys working for BAe get superb company support to an extent, but in Saudi your family is effectively confined to the large expat compound you'll live in.  Everything's provided and the pay is phenomenal, but the fact you have armed guards on the gates should point some things out.  Fact is, a guy with my qualifications would attract about £135 000pa tax free from BAe to go work in Saudi, and you'll notice I haven't gone there, which should say a lot about it.

But the other bits along the south east of the peninsula seem popular, but don't expect to go out much in summer.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Just come to Australia, it's big enough that we cover all climates.
  • I already told you I might.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    And I already told you to come to Australia.  Don't come that tone with me, I'm Australian.  We don't understand tone and context and stuff, tends to obstruct drinking.
  • Why do you always sound like you're asking a question Skerret?
  • Cheers, Elm. Any move to that area won't come for a few years yet, but researching prospective places to go next seems wise.

Tentative plan: Another year in Korea after my current contract, then return to the UK to do an MA. Off to China for a year, then Japan for a couple... maybe the Middle East after that. Yay!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Why do you always sound like you're asking a question Skerret?
    It's a weird habit we picked up at some point.  I dunno?
  • Has anyone ever worked in the Middle East? If so... thoughts?

I am living and working in Abu Dhabi at the moment. I have plenty of thoughts, most of them to do with trying to keep cool.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Some prize fandans in the bar last night talking about working in Abu Dhabi and how they don't go out because of the heat so they get the "natives" to get their stuff for them.

Told them they were speaking from quite a position of privilege and they said they earned it because they put up with the heat.

Fuds
  • Does it count as getting the "natives" to get things for me when I send out for pizza because it's hot?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Some prize fandans in the bar last night talking about working in Abu Dhabi and how they don't go out because of the heat so they get the "natives" to get their stuff for them. Told them they were speaking from quite a position of privilege and they said they earned it because they put up with the heat. Fuds

The heat here is quite something else though. I live around 100 yards from a mall and walking from my apartment to the mall in the summer would mean being soaked in sweat. Everything is geared around this so that all it takes is a call to a local store and they will deliver groceries. And by groceries I mean they will, if you ask, bring you a couple of cans of coke (AED 3 so about 25p a can). Anything and everything is just a phone call away. I felt guilty the first few times but you soon twig that it is a business and they are more than happy to have your custom. Same with my maid, comes twice a week, does all my cleaning, ironing and the like for what we would regard as a pittance but for her is a real decent living.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!