Stellar Blade - PS5 exclusive
  • Downloaded the demo last night. Haven’t played it yet but I’ll do a review worthy of the op.
  • Good.
    The Forum Herald™
  • digi wrote:
    Yous don't like boobs or physics anymore? This place is so negative all the time, game is fun!

aye, the game is ok, As I said I'm getting poor man's version of Nier and Bayonetta. and I've no issue with characters like that but I just find the adolescent jiggle stuff dull after all this time.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think it is what it is, it's boobs, I'm guessing most of us like or at least aren't offended by boobs, but to me it's neither here nor there, I think it's all a bit juvenile, but there could be a solid game still here. As I said in my demo chat, I thought it was OK (a solid 7 probably) but that could change based on upgrading your move set (I could definitely do with the bigger parry window skill as I'm shit for example) and the game may flow better. Guess we'll see when the full reviews are in.
  • I don't fancy it.  Partly because it looks a bit Barb Wire: The Game but mostly because it seems like such a Bayonetta copycat and I have a weird history with that series anyway (FTR: loved the first one.  Struggled to finish the second one despite the fact that it was probably a bit better.  Didn't bother with the third).  This isn't something I'll definitely never play but I'm nowhere near day one, and even if it Metacritcs in the low 80s I'd probably hesitate at a chalice.    

Not because it's a Playstation game - I've got one of them under the telly, you can't miss it - but because it doesn't appeal to me enough to pay it much attention.  I tried to play Nier Automata and got fed up with that too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have to say it doesn't really play like Bayonetta, more like a Souls game. The action is nowhere near as crazy and there tends to be more one-on-one combat with blocks, parries etc. This definitely feels like it'll come out on Plus by the end of the year.
  • It's just dropped further down the list then.  I assumed it was all skidding around and speedily Vanquishing things.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Again, the skill trees could open all of that stuff up, but at least to start with, you don't have that much mobility.
  • Well, some parts of you do.
  • Ho ho hoe
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2024-stellar-blade-tech-preview-what-can-we-learn-from-the-ps5-demo

Interestingly they absolutely failed to address the boobs! Shocking journalism. Otherwise fairly positive about teh tech and the game.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Gradually getting more interested. It has difficulty settings too, so it's not as obstinate as Souls. Would play on Plus.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Well, some parts of you do.

:-D
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Even less interested if it plays like a Souls game.
  • I'll probably blast it a rental at this point, though currently I seem to be renting stuff that ends up on PS Plus anyways. If it's a souls like, I'm willing to give it a bash. Will see.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Where can you rent games these days?
  • Kow wrote:
    Where can you rent games these days?

Boomerang Rentals. Considering the cost of new games atm, I'm paying about a tenner and I get to sample a lot of game without committing.
  • Sounds like an excuse you’d make to a long term partner that rev.
  • He gets them on the rebound…
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • He used to hire two at a time at the Ritz in Central London.
  • Finally played some of the demo. Seems fine?

Movement is a little sluggish as already mentioned here, but hopefully will be better with added skills etc? Dunno. But I’m digging the setting (my favourite, post apocalypse kinda world setting) and it seems very polished. Quite the looker. Music seems nice but why the vocals?!

Looking forward to playing more and maybe this will turn into a decent game but… fuck off with the female models, seriously. Unnecessary titillation and T&A. So grating.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think the setting is intriguing but I don’t think it’s a patch on Horizon that did post apocalyptic really well.

I enjoyed the music don’t recall being offended by the vocals.

The T&A I still find funny because in the grand scheme of things so what? Is this any worse than Lara at the time? Or what if she does have her tits on show but doesn’t need to be saved by Mario or Link? Is Bayonetta better because she has sass? It’s a weird one maybe because it’s anachronistically an outlier but as someone who is not a teenager I couldn’t care less.

Waiting on the full game reviews.
  • I just thought maybe the industry has moved on by now. But it’s nowt that will stop me enjoying a game, initially just a bit like why??? Bayo is one of my all time favourites and that did annoy me at first too, but it very soon passed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The why is the dweeby teens who enjoy this stuff, as they always have. You enjoy the game they enjoy the jiggle. Win win.
  • I think Bayonetta is a bit better in that regard because it feels like her choice and she owns it. Whereas, from the demo anyway, this just seems like T&A for T&As sake. I do think the industry has moved past this in some way, especially for a big release. There's always space for small games all about the ass. But games like Nier show you can have a bit if the rest of the game is solid.

Stellar Blade definitely wishes it was Nier. You can tell straight away because of the music, which elf mentions, as it has pretty much the same sounds and vocals but also in the general design of it. I liked the music though. The game itself I think it's a solid 6 at this stage but could go up if the combat has a bit more depth to it or if the story is better than the demo shows. I think that's the only way they could get away with the T&A too if the story is partly about why these attack bots are sexy ladies. I don't think it will though.

Definitely an accomplished product though considering the team hasn't done anything like this before. I just think that inexperience shows in how the combat isn't quite as polished as it could be. I think some enemy attack patterns are a bit hard to read and I think that comes from the visual design which, whilst cool and fleshy and jiggly itself, just kind of blends into the environments a bit too much. It's weird that you have to hold a button to pick up items. The lock on doesn't do the best job at aligning the camera for the action and doesn't track to the next enemy especially well. The feedback and timing of the combat isn't as tight as more accomplished devs are able to achieve but I've definitely played worse.

Might pick it up on a sale maybe.
  • Glad you wrote that out Shabby - know you told me all this yesterday, but I couldn't hear much over the sound of furious masturbation.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's always space for small games all about the ass.

High five.
  • Music sounds like nier automata becouse its by the same person.
    I loved the nier soundtrack.
  • I don’t think it is? Not according to Wikipedia anyway. I looked it up because yes it does remind me of Automata, but not quite as good (so far). The game just seems like it wants to be Nier Automata as Shabby said.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I don’t think it is? Not according to Wikipedia anyway. I looked it up because yes it does remind me of Automata, but not quite as good (so far). The game just seems like it wants to be Nier Automata as Shabby said.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/1am0y2a/stellar_blade_to_have_music_by_okabe/
    Taken directly from the interview:

Kim: The music is an important element in the game that really portrays the world view of Stellar Blade. We have about 100 tracks on the soundtrack, and most songs have a kind of chorus or some kind of human voice in them. Around 60 per cent of the songs were created in-house, while the other 40 per cent were created by a sound studio called Monaca, led by composer Keiichi Okabe. Okabe-san was the composer of NieR.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!