Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • Yeah I know. There's a few of the classic directors that have slipped by me. I tend to forget about them when I think of what to watch. Maybe 2024 can be my Kurosawa and Bergmann year.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Seven Samurai by Kurosawa is pretty much a must watch.  I've seen a few others of his (Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, Ikuru) but there's plenty I haven't seen yet.  Yojimbo is on my watch list for him.

Harder to pick a starter film with Bergman. I've seen fair bit of his material. Fanny and Alexander is his most accessible but that's quite different from the rest of his work as far as I have experienced.  Wild Strawberries is a favourite of mine.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thanks. A revival cinema here did a Bergman season at the end of last year but work and other things got in the way of me seeing anything which was annoying. Would have been great on the big screen
  • I’ve seen all post-war Kurosawa. Still need to watch his earlier stuff. I think BFI player has them so I’ll watch on there, previously I was relying on sourcing the Criterion releases (box sets).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thanks. A revival cinema here did a Bergman season at the end of last year but work and other things got in the way of me seeing anything which was annoying. Would have been great on the big screen

Re Kurosawa - 

Seven Samuari - remade as the Magnificent Seven
    Yojimbo - remade as A Fistful of Dollars
    Hidden Fortress - influenced Star Wars.
  • Thanks, will have a gander.

Also Davy, seeing as you like long movies you should watch About Dry Grasses. I think you'd really like it
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I need to start compiling a "to watch" list.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JustWatch can be handy for that - also shows you where you can stream them
  • davyK wrote:
    I need to start compiling a "to watch" list.

I've got one for particular directors from Asian cinema.  Haven't really made much deadway into it! :)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    5. The Creator - all style over substance I think everyone here has said it all, though I didn’t hate it as much as some here. Edwards needs to stick to direction and let someone else write the screenplay as he doesn’t really have a clue about story [4]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    6. I Think We’re Alone Now - wonderful little indie film about a man going about his business after the end of the world. Very grounded and great performances. Only let down by the third act that wasn’t needed [7]
  • Was hoping to kickstart the year with The Boy and the Heron, but I booked it twice and couldn’t go for different reasons. And I’m not spending more on going to watch it (had the chance last and this weekend).

So what better way to start the year now)

1. Morbius - 19 Jan
    What a great start to 2024! So is this as shit as they say?! Yes. It most definitely is. Doesn’t start off too bad. But keeps just getting worse and worse. Bad script, bad acting, full of utter stupid, and utterly pointless.
    [3]
  • I’m tempted to watch Morbius to see just how bad it is, but I know I’d only hate myself afterwards.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't have time in life anymore for seeing if things are as bad as people say.
  • Morbius is the type of bad to avoid. There's nothing fun bad about it.
  • I just watched for completion sake. Gonna watch Carnage at some point too.
  • Carnage is more watchable
  • Morbius is really rather rubbish indeed
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Carnage is more watchable

Damn. I haven't seen Morbius but Carnage is dreadful so that says a lot.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    2. Godzilla Minus One
    I wasn't a massive fan of the recent American Godzilla films so took a bit of convincing to see this one at the cinema but so glad I did (on full IMAX too). Perhaps unsurprisingly it retains the vibe of the older Japanese Godzillas whilst seemingly carrying over a few elements from the US ones. It's full of homages to monster films in general (even Jaws) and steers away from the OTT effects bombast which I find a bit dull. There's some hammy acting at points but overall it nails all the key elements and delivers a tense, riveting ride. [8]

3. Shiva Baby
    Awkwardness abound when a young woman runs into her sugar daddy and ex-girlfriend at a shiva with her parents. It's a tight 70-odd minutes and packs a lot into that run time as the various lies told to family, friends and lovers start to unravel. It was a bit hit and miss for me but a well balanced mix of genuinely funny and touching moments kept it on the positive end of the scale, probably just a bit heavy on the cringe factor at points which I sometimes struggle with. It's a great cast and full of wonderful performances, worth a shot. [6]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    4. Sisu
    A bit of an odd one, I knew in advance it would be an OTT effort and figured the film knows exactly what it is but even with that in mind I still found it to be just too daft overall. The gore is on the silly end of the scale whilst the film does seem to want to be more serious at times so it doesn't really work. There are some great set pieces and a good streak of dark humour throughout, bonus for sticking to 90 mins but the whole thing is just too thin and not quite clever or inventive enough to stand out. [4]

5. Happening
    A young woman in 60s France hoping to get into university discovers she's pregnant at a time when abortions are illegal. This is such a tight, intimate film as we follow this journey - not ready to be a mother yet faced with a society that limits women's options, she desperately searches for options and considers extreme measures. It's brilliantly shot, the camera either sitting almost on her shoulder or in close up to maintain that intimacy. It also doesn't shy away from the nature situation, the difficulties faced and the impact on women's lives and bodies. A superb central performance is the key and does all the other elements justice and then some. A sometimes difficult but ultimately rewarding watch. [9]
  • Disappointed you hadn't watched The Happening tbh.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    No wooden Wahlbergs in 60s France thankfully.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Saltburn

Koeghan
    is phenomenal, as expected, but so is the whole cast. Wonderfully dark comedic atmosphere until the last 20 minutes where it just rushes to a shitty conclusion. Exemplary up til that point.
  • 3. Barbie
    Not as good as I'd hoped, but not as bad as I feared. Both leads are superb and the film leans so enthusiastically into the weirdness of the whole concept that it's hard not to have fun watching if you just let it happen. It's a lot stranger than I expected and despite the obviously intentional mixture of clever jokes for the adults about the patriarchy and subtle as a bag of exploding hammers jokes for the tweens about the patriarchy, it mostly lands all of them through pure enthusiasm. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Did you feel the Kenergy?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saltburn

Koeghan
    is phenomenal, as expected, but so is the whole cast. Wonderfully dark comedic atmosphere until the last 20 minutes where it just rushes to a shitty conclusion. Exemplary up til that point.

It does feel a bit rushed at the end. But I loved the film.

• davyK wrote:
    Saltburn

Koeghan

It does feel a bit rushed at the end. But I loved the film.

I'd say I enjoyed it too but agree the ending was shitty, rushed and felt like oh, ok they are doing that are they? Still worth watching.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Missing wasn't quite as good as Searching, but still pretty enjoyable. Odd there haven't been more films of that ilk given it obviously works, but I'm sure the novelty would wear off. Still, if you haven't watched then, watch them.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Missing wasn't quite as good as Searching, but still pretty enjoyable. Odd there haven't been more films of that ilk given it obviously works, but I'm sure the novelty would wear off. Still, if you haven't watched then, watch them.

If you like that style of film (and don't mind the odd horror) then the Unfriended series, Spree, Profile (2018, very low budget but interesting). There's a few others I forget.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!