What is your favourite feature from a game and why?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Rewind on Forza is a nice recent one, when you're trying to practice sections
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe mention the Elf Bell?
  • Bullet time.
    Aspirational badassness.
  • Recharging shields for me. Halo was so good for the time.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    I enjoyed the way the map showed so much, but as you explored and thought you were at the edge of the world, the map expanded. Most maps show you the scope of the map but obscure the detail, so you know the scale of the world. Elden Ring starts and you feel as you work through the first section the world feels not that big, then the UI scales as a new blank section loads. It gives you a feeling of not knowing how big the actual world is. 

I also liked the marker mechanic, but felt this was better handled in BOTW.

You could also have that lift in ER. Genuinely think it's my favourite moment ever. Just the realisation.

Which lift? There were lots of lifts...
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah yeah. Good lift.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Bullet time.
    Aspirational badassness.

F.E.A.R oh my days. Still number one short solo FPS campaign, holds up very well.
  • How the information text about the systems was generated and stored in Elite.  An elegant solution to memory restrictions.  A lot of this data was then stored on the save file on a separate disk.

From Wiki:

"The Elite universe contains eight galaxies, each with 256 planets to explore. Due to the limited capabilities of 8-bit computers, these worlds are procedurally generated. A single seed number is run through a fixed algorithm the appropriate number of times and creates a sequence of numbers determining each planet's complete composition (position in the galaxy, prices of commodities, and name and local details; text strings are chosen numerically from a lookup table and assembled to produce unique descriptions, such as a planet with "carnivorous arts graduates"). This means that no extra memory is needed to store the characteristics of each planet, yet each is unique and has fixed properties. Each galaxy is also procedurally generated from the first. Braben and Bell at first intended to have 248 galaxies, but Acornsoft insisted on a smaller universe to hide the galaxies' mathematical origin"
  • Thanks for all the nice suggestions. Another one I'm thinking about is the insanity system in Eternal Darkness.
  • Just remember that they’re gonna want it all related back to game design fundamentals and player experience - Jesse Schell’s Art of Game Design book (also has an app and I think a pdf floating around) has a good list of “lenses” through which to look at/assess aspects of games and designs. IIRC the app is free and should give you some extra ideas of things to talk around your chosen game feature: https://schellgames.com/art-of-game-design/
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    App doesn't work on new Androids :-(
  • I think reddave nailed it with the first response to be honest ;)

Be a suck up and pick a feature from a game made by the people you're applying to :)

The feature that popped to my mind was the narration element in sands of time and how that fed into explaining not dying in game and the time manipulation etc
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Something that constrains or opens up choice can have wildly different outcomes.

The freedom to climb any surface in BoTW enhanced exploration immeasurably.

The constraints on upgrades and number of units in Into the Breach meant everything to who you could save and who to sacrifice in an ugly war.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Favourite feature,for me, personally, couch MP. If I were looking to apply to a games company with this answer then, depending on the company and the types of games that they produce, I may try and use this as a jumping off point about how sharing the experience of playing with others is important, be that through photo modes or Twitter integration or some other shit that I don’t actually give a toss about but which provides a subtext of “I’ll help you market your game”.

Least favourite game and how I’d change it, again, personal opinion, but I’d go with BotW, with the caveat that it’s not actually my least favourite game, but it’s a reasonably recent critical darling that I wasn’t a huge fan of. How I’d change it: make it smaller, tighter, more focused. Subtext that I’d be trying to put across here is “you don’t need to spend millions of pounds on building massive environments, you can create good, engaging games with a smaller budget”.

The second is probably riskier than the first, TBH.

Whatever you go with, think about what the subtext of your answer is telling the interviewer. There’s probably not a huge amount of point telling people that you wish that RDR2 had greater realism and interactivity as few companies will be able to match RDR’s level of realism and interactivity in the first place.

Think of things that you personally enjoy or not, so you can talk about them with genuine enthusiasm and passion, but also consider whether or not you’ll be displaying enthusiasm for things that are within the company’s scope to achieve.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just for clarity’s sake, I think you’d be far better off arguing for something unachievable that you really believe in than arguing for something you don’t care about but which you think will be more achievable. Displaying genuine passion will go a long way. The question of whether or not it is achievable only really comes into play if you have multiple things you could argue for.
  • Feature: if we’re talking Forza rewind, why not Prince of Persia rewind? I thought that was implemented very well and seemed pretty inventive back then. 

Also, Active Time Lore or whatever it’s called in FFXVI is good.  A good recent example. Easy and quick way to catch some background and lore without extensive exposition or separate lengthy text.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Least Favourite Game:

So I said I don’t know or can’t think of one. But if I think of say a top 20 favourite games and take one that I’d put towards the bottom of the list, I could think of something. The most obvious for me would probably be:

MGS3 Snake Eater. Great game. Love it to bits. But as much as I love it, it’s still got Kojima-bloat with the cutscenes and exposition. I’m not averse to this kind of storytelling in games and not someone who would argue against it totally (like some who think there shouldn’t be any of it at all, just gameplay), but the game has too much and can be improved vastly by cutting down on lengthy cutscenes. It’s as simple as that.
  • For me - great game features:

PoP: Sands of Time - the rewind. Was thinking about this last night, then saw elf come in and mention it. I think it's easy to forget how refreshing and, even, subversive it was. Make a mistake? Just rewind! It maintained the flow of the game, alleviated frustration with what was, at the time, a very new form of platforming and traversal and it also worked thematically - both in the moment to moment gameplay (you have the dagger) and the overarching circular narrative of the game.  Just absolutely brilliant design.

Shadow of the Colossus - sword light. The world of SotC is dead and barren and empty. It's also big and you have to fight the Colossi in a certain order. Finding them could have been frustrating, but the game allows you to raise your sword and get a beam of light in the direction you need to travel. Why does this work? It means the game doesn't need compass or map markers. It means the game doesn't need an Assassins Creed style bird companion to give you a bird's eye view and tag locations of interest. You still have to aim the light, and the direction is, well, direct - you still have to figure out how to get there and, importantly, it stops traversal and discovery feeling *gamey* - hugely important in a series of games that have always gone for a physical and naturalistic presence in the world.
  • Be brave and explain why breakable weapons on BotW were a stroke of genius.

Lest favourite is tricky. I had a similar question many years ago in an interview, stumbled for a while and eventually came up with Crash Bandicoot, but then struggled to explain why. It wasn't the worst answer in hindsight - something generally well regarded that really doesn't work for me, and if I'd thought about it in advance, the potential areas for improvement are quite clear (everything!).
  • A big fave of mine would be the Halo games and being able to give your followers particular guns, then have them blast away with rockets/snipers/plasma while you hoon around in a warthog. Excellently satisfying.

Also movable placeable auto turrets in any first person FPS, Half Life 2 would be an excellent example of this. I can't explain why exactly but I absolutely adore doing fuck all other than moving a wall of turret death around and having them spray lead at anything that moves. I'll happily spend an hour trying to find the perfect placement a set-piece where every angle is covered (that bit at the end of Nova Prospekt). I wish more games would have turrets that are that well balanced and tactile to use.

Necromancy/conjuration/follower critters fighting with you and watching them kill shit also scratches this itch, in mostly any game really.
  • Portal(s)
  • Sands of Time is a great shout. It's been so long since I've played it though. But the application deadline is still two weeks away and it's currently £1.71 on Steam so a quick replay might be in order.

I thought of Portals too but think it might be a bit too obvious. Recharging shields in Halo is also a great suggestion. I think it's easy to forget just how much such a simple feature influenced the entire genre.
  • Least favourite for me is probably FIFA series.
    Canned animations that cycle for too long and cannot be cancelled means that you have inhibited player control.

How to fix it is easy. Copy PES 2005
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I enjoyed Fifa for a short while after PES got shit but I lost interest a fair few years ago.  I watched a trailer for the next one thinking it'd look amazing and yeah, it's the weird animation that makes it look horrible.  Basically everything looks great until it moves, even though there was some chap talking about how awesome the new fluid animation system is over the top of the footage I was watching.  No it's not m8, I can still see the strings.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When f-zero X added the trade off of safety vs speed with your shield and boost sharing the same energy bar.

Hate games that have a score or time attack mode that do not have a quick restart option.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hotline Miami on Vita - touch screen lock on oh my god let's get Nuts.
  • The sound options in Street Fighter 6 which allowed a blind player to beat a player on the stage at evo this year. That's the stuff which should be put into more games.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    The sound options in Street Fighter 6 which allowed a blind player to beat a player on the stage at evo this year. That's the stuff which should be put into more games.
    That's the right answer. As someone losing hearing at an exponential rate, would love to see more of that.
  • Impressive, I can't even imagine how that would work. My hearing has always been bad, but now I'm in the "profoundly hard of hearing" category which is deaf, by some standards, AFAIK.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!