What is your favourite feature from a game and why?
‹ Previous123
  • I'm applying for a job in the games industry and this is one of the questions. It's for a game design position. I think it's deliberately quite vague and it doesn't go into more specifics than that. Thought I'd throw it in here for a bit of inspiration. I've been playing Tunic recently and I'm considering writing about the clever implementation of the manual.

The second question is even more devious. What's your least favourite game and what would you do to improve it? I was instantly struck by how tricky it was to think of a list of my least favourite games as you don't tend to put much time into games you don't like.
  • Fairly certain Games Design peaked when you could tickle the bum of the photographer in North & South. Most games would be improved by adding this feature.
    SFV - reddave360
  • For question 2 maybe consider a disappointing sequel?
    Mass Effect: Andromeda for example. Then state what what was wrong but how you would change it while still making it unique enough from the games before it.
  • Wouldn't your actual no.1 least favourite game be beyond saving?
  • Animal Crossing but with more killings
  • One that entered my mind right away is the drift/boost from MK & Burnout. Delicate ballet of triggers and sticks round the corner then boosting straight out. It never not feels so satisfying and rewarding.

One I hate is games that tell you it's saving progress after pressing start on the title screen. Dunno if either answer qualifies.
  • I suppose there's Worst Game Ever which is something so bad you only played it for a couple of minutes before turning it off forever. Least Favourite might be more like the terrible sequel to a game you loved. Can't think what mine would be.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Wouldn't your actual no.1 least favourite game be beyond saving?

Improve, not save.

I would have the twist of Twelve Minutes be literally anything else.
  • One that entered my mind right away is the drift/boost from MK & Burnout. Delicate ballet of triggers and sticks round the corner then boosting straight out. It never not feels so satisfying and rewarding. One I hate is games that tell you it's saving progress after pressing start on the title screen. Dunno if either answer qualifies.

Genuinely good shout

Also loved how in Burnout 2 the music kicked in when you hit Boost.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The first thing that came to my mind is parry in combat. But that’s a mechanic and I guess feature is more encompassing and bigger? Dunno. 

I have no idea what my least favourite game is.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Scout wrote:
    Thought I'd throw it in here for a bit of inspiration. I've been playing Tunic recently and I'm considering writing about the clever implementation of the manual.

You should do this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Map in Elden Ring.

The "thing" in Titanfall 2, spoilered...
    Spoiler:

Least favourite was definitely the ending of Mass Effect 3, despite enjoying all three games up until that point. I may have built that up in my head over time and when I eventually get finished with the new edition play through I may not feel as strongly as I did at the time.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The first thing that came to my mind is parry in combat. But that’s a mechanic and I guess feature is more encompassing and bigger? Dunno. 

I have no idea what my least favourite game is.

Was kinda thinking this. I love the rewind in the forza games, really encourages me to try to nail corners without risk of ruining the race. Is it a game mechanic or a feature though?

Seriously though guys, any game where you can get a chuckle out of pinching a little man's arse while he tries to take a photo is a winner. Top feature.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Favourites I can think of - the through ball in Pro Evo, Outrun C2C drifting, the team power combos in Mass Effect 2, Vice City, the cape in Super Mario World, the ascend ability in TotK. But I'd probably go with the jokes in Monkey Island.
  • Scout wrote:
    I'm applying for a job in the games industry and this is one of the questions. It's for a game design position. I think it's deliberately quite vague and it doesn't go into more specifics than that. Thought I'd throw it in here for a bit of inspiration. I've been playing Tunic recently and I'm considering writing about the clever implementation of the manual. The second question is even more devious. What's your least favourite game and what would you do to improve it? I was instantly struck by how tricky it was to think of a list of my least favourite games as you don't tend to put much time into games you don't like.

As Moot says, you should go with Tunic.  (It always helps to talk about the thing you actually felt, if you see what I mean).  

To answer your question though, I think my favourite, or certainly one of them, was realising that the puzzles in The Witness weren't limited to the obvious puzzles in front of you, but the very world itself.  That single realisation also led to a wider understanding that The Witness is sort of a Metroid style game in so much as you go away and return to things with new abilities that allow you to progress.  The difference being that the new abilities aren't actual changes to the game mechanics, or the character, but changes in me - newly learnt ways to think about the game itself.  Every puzzle could be solved from the outset, but I had to learn new things to realise that.  I think that's a pretty extraordinary "feature".

As for the least favourite game? Despite saying you should say what you feel, I think I would cheat on this and pick out a game that I felt could be readily "fixed" even if it wasn't my least favourite. (I'd acknowledge my deviousness) A near miss that left me feeling "if only they'd done this..." (Pretty much any game with a pointlessly difficult boss will do it for me. The dilemma being how to make a boss that feels like an achievement to beat, but which doesn't leave half the players feeling they've hit a road block and will never get to see the rest of the game they just spent their last few quid on.)
  • Improving a near miss would be a mich more enjoyable question to answer for me. Below and Flinthook are the first two that spring to mind - both could have been absolutely superb.

Edit: Cursed to Golf gets a mention too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Viewfinder, if you have played it, blew my mind just in videos. Could be a good one for option 1 and fresh in memory.
  • 1 - what do we mean by "feature"? I guess the question allows you to answer as you see fit but there are different interpretations here already.

2 - @boris explain what you mean re: the Map in Elden Ring!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I enjoyed the way the map showed so much, but as you explored and thought you were at the edge of the world, the map expanded. Most maps show you the scope of the map but obscure the detail, so you know the scale of the world. Elden Ring starts and you feel as you work through the first section the world feels not that big, then the UI scales as a new blank section loads. It gives you a feeling of not knowing how big the actual world is. 

I also liked the marker mechanic, but felt this was better handled in BOTW.
  • Death Tank Zwei hidden in the Saturn version of Duke Nukem 3D was neato. I think it was only accessible if you had an Quake/Exhumed save file? Also the playable loading screens in certain PS1 Namco games was a legit move. Perhaps not a feature as such, but Psycho Mantis pulling info from your memory card was a bit special too.

I'm in a 32-bit mood.
  • Actually I'd probably just write about Sonic & Knuckles.
  • Cool, I agree that increasing sense of scale was a brilliant take on the map!

Another good feature of Elden Ring is how it breaks you down mentally and forces you to go outside and breath for a while. Not that they'll put that on the box.
  • Or back to 32-bits, the evolving music in NiGHTS
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I enjoyed the way the map showed so much, but as you explored and thought you were at the edge of the world, the map expanded. Most maps show you the scope of the map but obscure the detail, so you know the scale of the world. Elden Ring starts and you feel as you work through the first section the world feels not that big, then the UI scales as a new blank section loads. It gives you a feeling of not knowing how big the actual world is. 

You could also have that lift in ER. Genuinely think it's my favourite moment ever. Just the realisation.
  • Wasn't there some ps1 game where you had to put random cds into the console to discover/unlock monsters?
  • You could also have that lift in ER. Genuinely think it's my favourite moment ever. Just the realisation.

https://youtu.be/LSyRf8rAjTs
  • Wasn't there some ps1 game where you had to put random cds into the console to discover/unlock monsters?

Vib Ribbon did something similarish.

Monster Rancher

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Rancher_(video_game)
  • Neat. Beats a Barcode Battler.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

You could also have that lift in ER. Genuinely think it's my favourite moment ever. Just the realisation.

Which lift? There were lots of lifts...
  • World League Soccer '98 on Saturn had a hidden feature(/cheat) where they'd rerecorded all the names spoken by the commentator. Blew my mind that it was on the disc. Out the box you got the fake names that were all the rage at the time, after you put the code in you got the real McCoy/McCoist.

Disclaimer: there's a chance I'm misremembering this.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!