BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Same reason as the Reddy Brek kid.

Radiation poisoning.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Leaving that gem right there.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I bought some Reddy Brek as a treat last week. Haven't tried it yet.

Edit: I probably should've gone for rusks.

Edit 2: turns out it's not called Reddy Brek!!
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    At least i now know where Moot’s gamer tag came from.

Same, I do remember that ad tho, didn't remember the line.

• Blue Swirl wrote:
    75 quid! Bargain of the century right there.

I miss the days when hardware always dropped below £100. Was rude not to buy at those prices.

What was the last gen that happened? GCN went to £80 but I'm not sure PS2 or Xbox ever hit that magic mark.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How much was that weird tiny Wii?
  • nick_md wrote:
    DrewMerson wrote:
    At least i now know where Moot’s gamer tag came from.

Same, I do remember that ad tho, didn't remember the line.

My forum name is a deeper cut.
  • It falls to me to post the obligatory Barbarian ad:

barbarian-game-ad.jpg?ssl=1

Weirdly enough they even apparently did a homo-erotic one, minus Maria Whittaker:

Barbarian-TheUltimateWarrior_2.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The weird Wii was £79.99 when it launched. We got one in hmv.
  • Is that Wolf from Gladiators?
  • It could well be actually! But if it is, it's way, way before his Gladiator days.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    GCN went to £80 but I'm not sure PS2 or Xbox ever hit that magic mark.

I got my OGbox for £99.99, but that was a special for the first day of a new GAME. 

But yeah, I do miss those days. I'd have bought a PS4 by now if they'd dropped below 100.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    GCN went to £80 but I'm not sure PS2 or Xbox ever hit that magic mark.

I got my OGbox for £99.99, but that was a special for the first day of a new GAME. 

But yeah, I do miss those days. I'd have bought a PS4 by now if they'd dropped below 100.

Yeah, same for me with XBox One.

These days the price seems to stay the same, just becoming slightly better value with newer skus/bundles until eventually being replaced by the next gen.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm guessing inlfation has a bit to do with it as well? Original Ps2 price of £299 in 2000 is about £540 now so the ps5 price of £499 (I think) looks reasonable. Similar, the £100 console in 2001 is £175 now. Granted a Ps4 is about £250 now so that bits not as good but its not that far off either.

If only wages did the same eh?
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Inflation.

A "big" 2600 game in 1982 was £30.  That's >£100 now.  God bless my parents - who were not well off - who bought me Defender one Christmas. 

I was only able to own a 2600 because of £100 (>£300 now) I was given out of an endowment that matured when I was 16.  Got Combat with it and Asteroids was free too with a special promo offer.

I played that game to death (as I did with Asteroids too which was a far superior port but Defender despite its many tech shortcomings was still very playable) - would have got 100s of hours out of it but still. Mad.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think we all got max value out of cartridge games back in the day. I had 4 SNES cartridges in that lifetime (SF2, Mario Kart and World and Super Probotecter) that I owned. It was a big thing to buy a cartridge game. Thank god for the solid rental options from the local video shop. Swaps with friends was also vital and a good indication why having the same console as your mates was so important. 

Kids these days, dont even know etc.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I spent years grifting for pocket money boosters.  Second hand carts were often reasonably priced back then though.
  • Only painting the parts of my gran's shed visible from the house was probably a low point, but £5 seemed unreasonable for that much work and she never went round the back anyway.
  • I used to pick stuff up from car boot sales back in the day, used to get some bargains.

Sonic and Knuckles boxed like new for a tenner not long after release.
    A Saturn with 10 games for £30 around 1999-2001.
    Cart only MD games for a quid or two once the PS1 was out.
  • I'd love to travel back in time and punch myself in the face just as I was about to trade Shining Force III in for £2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I Was able to sign on while I did my A levels as I was only doing 2. So I had a few quid between that and casual labour. First cart I bought was an Activision one - they had a 2nd string line of games that were cheaper but better than the 2nd string Atari games in the main.

It was Fishing Derby - read the review in Computer & Video Games and it reviewed well. And it was actually a damn fine little game. Even my Dad liked it - mainly because he was a crane driver and the way the line moved about reminded him of it.   Had a decent vs CPU mode and the 2P mode was good craic.

I remember admiring the little effect on the water surface that made it look 3D the way it went around the posts the anglers sat on. :)   The player on the left has the advantage because the 6pt fish is higher up on his side. We used to swap sides during a session.  Simpler times.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!