Size doesn't matter
‹ Previous12
  • I like small games, mobile which are one screen. And I like big games like Breath of the Wild. I don't seem to like medium sized games. 

Size can be measured in hours to complete, size of the map to name but two. 

What size do you like and why? (inuendo's welcome - apart from Muzzy the filthy animal)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I like big butts.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My favourite game length is in the single digit to low double digit number of hours. Something that can be cleared in one to three sessions, or those that offer a short burst of fun that is infinitely repeatable, such as your Rocket Leagues.

Anything at 40+ hours tends to put me off. 70+ hours gets a lol u wot mate from me.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I like big butts.

But can you lie?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Big tits and butts for me please.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Eat more, you’ll get there.
  • Definitely ass.
  • I want both but yeah, no ass is no thanks.
  • monkey wrote:
    Big tits and butts for me please.

Here you go: Blue-tit.-Philip-Croft.-BTO.-1-378e7e4.jpg _108227958_gettyimages-1156017580.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I like big butts.

I liked X-Blades as well.
  • I like a proper £15ish indie to last maybe 4-6hrs. I'm also keen on shorter games if the price is right.

AAA games are a different prospect. I'll play a long game if it really appeals, but anything over 15-20hrs is too long for my tastes, even if I'm enjoying it, with very few exceptions (Hollow Knight and Breath of the Wild spring to mind).

Kena: Bridge of Spirits is the right kind of length for an adventure game imo. 10-12hrs. Also cheaper than most whoppers.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Hollow Knight and Breath of the Wild spring to mind
    These are two of the only games of the 20+ hours length that I've played over the past 5-10 years. With those two, the size is the point. It's built into the game that you're overwhelmed by the environment. 
    Contrast with, I dunno, God of War. An enjoyable, straightforward brawler that's had a Sony executive come along and injected 20 hours of 'content' into it for business reasons. As soon as I detect I'm playing content, my interest evaporates.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Depends on how fun the game is. I’ve sank over a hundred into a JRPG from time to time, and found myself wishing a ten hour FPS was a bit shorter. And I dread to think how much time I spent in Halo 3’s multiplayer. There’s no right size, as there’s no right length of song or film; whatever best serves the artistic intent.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • 90mins is the right length of film.
  • nick_md wrote:
    90mins is the right length of horror film.

• nick_md wrote:
    90mins is the right length of Royal Rumble.
  • nick_md wrote:
    0 mins is the right length of horror film.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    90mins is the right length of horror, comedy, and stupid-action films.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I like a good medium-sized game these days.

For proper long stuff, it had better be a BotW or an Elden Ring.
  • I like a nice girthy game. Long, short or whatever, as long as there's substance to it, I'm happy. Then there's the never ending games like Anno or Stellaris which I love but am too afraid to start cos ain't nobody got time for that these days. Can't plug 130 hours into Elden Ring if my villagers are rampaging in the streets.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    My favourite game length is in the single digit to low double digit number of hours. Something that can be cleared in one to three sessions, or those that offer a short burst of fun that is infinitely repeatable, such as your Rocket Leagues.

Anything at 40+ hours tends to put me off. 70+ hours gets a lol u wot mate from me.

I agree with this. I much preferred MGS Ground Zero's to Phantom Pain for example. I've probably put more hours into GZ than TPP despite one game being more or less just one level and the other being a huge open world with a narrative.

• I think a lot of games are going the right way with accessibility options too. It definitely shaves hours off the HLTB for roguelikes. If you're not inclined to want to spend 30hrs beating Hades, for example, there's a setting to increase your defence which turned it into a (still glorious) 10-12hr game for me. Most modern rogues allow you to set sliders all over the place too, and obviously if you give yourself more HP, or make enemies a smidge weaker, you're shaving hours off the total time investment.

The default options are the true, balanced way to play ofc, but the rise of optional accessibility options is welcome and it's really helped me get on board with a genre I used to be irritated by.
  • Im happy to play any length really but the main thing is that games respect my time.

Short games I want to be reloaded and back in for another go rapidly.
    Medium games, get to the point, dont make me learn excessive systems or obscure button layouts for something Im going to be done with that weekend.
    Long games. The obvious, none of that repeated tasks for tasks sake, grinding, generic cut and paste side missions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think a lot of games are going the right way with accessibility options too. It definitely shaves hours off the HLTB for roguelikes. If you're not inclined to want to spend 30hrs beating Hades, for example, there's a setting to increase your defence which turned it into a (still glorious) 10-12hr game for me. Most modern rogues allow you to set sliders all over the place too, and obviously if you give yourself more HP, or make enemies a smidge weaker, you're shaving hours off the total time investment.

The default options are the true, balanced way to play ofc, but the rise of optional accessibility options is welcome and it's really helped me get on board with a genre I used to be irritated by.

You’ve barely started Hades, TBF.
  • Moot ‘played’ Hades in God mode, didn’t he?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The longest games I ever stayed with to the end are Super Metroid and Link to the Past on SNES.

I loved those games at the time but I was finished with playing games like that. I have no interest in narrative led games either.

My arcade palate means I like short games but I tend to get a lot of playtime out of them. I've spent >180 hours on Mushihimesama and I've only cleared 2 modes. There is a pile of different modes still to take on. It only has 5 levels and a winning run takes just over 20min. But the replayability is such that I will likely double that playtime (and I will never beat the Ultra modes which are designed for the likes of @Dubs).

Well over 50hrs on Super Meat Boy now and I'm only at 73% - the difficulty is such I will probably get close to 100hrs on that. I intend to get to 106% on that.

I'm sure I clocked up a fair number of hours on Mario Galaxy as I got all the shines on that and even made a dent playing as Luigi.

I shudder to think of the hours I have clocked up on Mario Kart, Tetris, Asteroids, F-Zero, Monkey Ball, Sega Rally et al over the years.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian wrote:

You’ve barely started Hades, TBF.

How comes I've clocked it then m8
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Moot ‘played’ Hades in God mode, didn’t he?

God mode is amazing. 20% extra defence, +2% up to a cap of +50% every time you die. All enemy patterns and stages are the same as they are for mortals. It's a Godly God mode.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!