Scorn
‹ Previous12
  • I rather like this. Surprisingly, I think I even like it just the way it is. My first snap judgement from afar led me to expect an inelegant puzzle game held together by a charmingly repulsive aesthetic, and that might well be true, yet somehow I've come to oddly appreciate its awkwardness. Somehow the setting and tone lends itself quite well to all the general objective jank. Playing this- albeit intermittently- inspired me to redownload the Witness, which is clearly a far superior box of problems to solve, but at the same time its sleek, refined puzzles would seem a bit out of place here. 

I have only played a couple of hours in total so far, spread over a handful of 30 min micro-sessions. This seems to be a good way to approach it. If I'd played for longer frustration would have set in, and then I'd have gone looking for clues online, which I've managed to avoid doing so far. 

For anyone else playing this who intends to post, please stick any and all objective clues into spoiler tags, no matter how small they are.
  • Playing this with the missus atm and we're enjoying it too, although we've taken the approach of, if we get stuck for more than 15 mins or so, we get direction online. She'd tap out if we didn't, and tbh I'm just enjoying the overall tone.

So far we've resorted to a walkthrough twice, but one of those we still had to solve the thing when we got there so I'm not particularly fussed about doing so.

Will be playing more later.
  • Watched a playthrough just to see the various phases of the cosmetics. Expected more of the scenery to throb and wobble tbh. Maybe that's in the sequel.
  • It's called Scorn because
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Had a quick 15 mins on the Steam Deck and it works quite well, guessing because it’s slow paced. When back home I’ll give it a proper go on the big screen.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Booted it up yesterday on the ultrawide and it looks stunning. Have a feeling bar the setting I'll absolutely fucking hate it though.
  • Will give this a crack next week. It's quite short, apparently.
  • I'm quite enjoying it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Will give this a crack next week. It's quite short, apparently.

That’s good.
  • Reviews read like a 6
    The Forum Herald™
  • Video in the OP please, I don't like to have to go looking up a game to find out what it's about.
  • Bob wrote:
    Reviews read like a 6

It’s not the sort of game I’d want to play to a deadline

• Played a bunch more and enjoying it, no further guide checking required either! Not sure how far along we are but we've just got to a bit where
    Spoiler:
  • I'm at the same part as you Nick.
    I'm just about to
    Spoiler:
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • These are all going to be risky spoiler clicks aren't they :D

Not sure we'll get much further in the week but we'll see.
  • I've played it all and I've no idea what those spoilers are referring to. So you'll probably be fine.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Watched a playthrough just to see the various phases of the cosmetics. Expected more of the scenery to throb and wobble tbh. Maybe that's in the sequel.

it's a shame it's so static.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not what I was expecting. It is kind of foul in its aesthetic though.
  • If there's one guy who'll always have an iteration of his shit being ahem, explored by videogames, it's Giger. Beyond cliche, now tradition.
  • Is this a straight forward FPS or some sort of puzzle adventure game where you have to re-arrange your own guts in order to open the door?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Very little S-ing so far.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rearrange somebody else's guts, maybe yes.
  • It's absolutely not a shooter.
    Think of it like a puzzle adventure game in the style of Myst or Riven.
    Wonder round the grotesque environment, solve puzzles with very little in the way of hints, signposting or even narrative.
    It's very good
  • It is. I'm quite enjoying the pace though, put my headphones on and just immerse myself in the filth
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's... alright. Have to say I was stumped at first but it's just a case of find thing, stick it in thing, get thing, stick in another thing. I think there is a bug on PC when you aim your gun and release the aim your view stays zoomed out which looks silly as you have these gangly arms floating in front of you. I'd also say the body stuff is so abstract it doesn't seem that horrific.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tried this on Xbox and the stupid gun aim view that stays on when you stop aiming can’t be a serious design choice?
  • Can't say I've noticed any problems but I haven't..
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah that thing… when you aim it the view zooms out with your armed extended. When you stop aiming the camera stays as it was, looks stupid.
  • Ive only played half an hour or so of this so far. Really enjoyed the whole mood and feel of it. This may sound strange but it feels like Im playing in the box art to an Amiga game. Maybe a Psygnosis game cover or something like that. Some grand epic, alien sci fi landscape that the game never had a hope of replicating. That may not make much sense but it feels very...old school. Anyway I hope to play more soon.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Watched a playthrough just to see the various phases of the cosmetics. Expected more of the scenery to throb and wobble tbh. Maybe that's in the sequel.

A hot-take worthy of Mordor.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!