Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Patriotic English flag flowers in the second picture. Brexiteer!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Feck.
  • Kow wrote:
    Patriotic English flag flowers in the second picture. Brexiteer!

Ha! Never really noticed that!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You may have over watered them. Or underwatered them.
    Maybe underwatered. Specially in this weather. Hmmm. I read somewhere you have to water a fair bit upon planting so roots can establish? Or something.

Yep. After planting you need lots of water. Regular instead of drowning.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Soil around the plants still moist from last night's watering.  So maybe I have overwatered, or maybe the soil isn't well-draining?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hard to say. Watering at night is best.

Could be the soil. Some plants need some compost and rich soil to get going too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My odd looking dark green/purple chili plant has produced a black chili pepper. I don't think it's quite ready to eat yet bit I'm looking forward to trying it.
    2ZCy9Mg.jpeg
  • Yossarian wrote:

I did it a little before sunset.  It was the only time I could.  This morning, sun was already high up when I got out of bed so didn't water as apparently would be a waste as water would just evaporate and not soak through?

Will water at sunset-ish again today.
  • Water new plants loads and loads. It’ll likely be underwatering rather than over watering. If you can only water at night then that’s better than not at all.
    If you can be bothered (and actually know what you’ve bought) put a few names or pics of the plants up here and I’ll confirm whether or not you’re over watering. It’s really doubtful at this time of year.
  • Ooh forgot you're a garender landscaper expert dude type person!

Erm, here are a few:

rose bush (maybe doing ok, can see new flower buds opening up)
    dahlia
    pampas grass
    plumed cockscomb
    Grape Leaf begonia
    Angel's trumpet

Also, olive fig and apple trees, and a cherry blossom tree at the front.

THANKS!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought that watering in sunlight risks leaf damage as the droplets can concentrate the sunlight.

Not sure how I came to think that...  sounds a bit daft looking at it written down!!

Didn't know @youfavouriteuncle was into that. Good to know. :)
  • Oh I knew, just forgot.  It's his profession, right?  Legend.

I am not watering during the day at all.  I heard that too re sunlight.

Alos have new turf.  Been keeping off the grass and watering plentiful, again in evening, no time in morning so far.  Last strip of turf looks a little brown but rest look ok so far.  Only been 4 days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We have pampas grass and it's gi-normous.

Bonus item : having that in your front garden was a signal that you swung in the 70s.
  • Anyone got plant food recommendations for grapes? Planted a vine last year and got a couple of bunches with grapes about 1/2 the size of peas (surprised as was told it'd be at least a year before any fruit grew).

This year I've got more bunches, still green, with grapes that are the size of peas, so still growing I hope.

Currently using general purpose plant food but then used tomato feed one the fruit appeared.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Angels Trumpet is datura, right? One of the most toxic of all plants? The stories of people's days-long trips on the seeds are terrifying. I wouldn't have the stuff anywhere near the house.
  • Kow wrote:
    Angels Trumpet is datura, right? One of the most toxic of all plants? The stories of people's days-long trips on the seeds are terrifying. I wouldn't have the stuff anywhere near the house.

Angels trumpet is what my wife calls my arse

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I believe that you’re both thinking of Devil’s Trumpet.
  • Kow wrote:

Is that true? Will have to look it up. Why would they sell them in a garden centre?!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They look nice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Is that true?

No. I wasn’t kidding.

Datura is a genus of nine species of highly poisonous, vespertine-flowering plants belonging to the nightshade family Solanaceae.[1] They are commonly known as thornapples or jimsonweeds, but are also known as devil's trumpets[2] (not to be confused with angel's trumpets, which are placed in the closely related genus Brugmansia).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura
  • Ah, thanks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I believe Angels Trumpet and Devils Trumpet are the same. Or at least they are often called both names interchangeably. And are both violently hallucinogenic and poisonous.
    All parts of angel’s trumpets are considered poisonous and contain the alkaloids atropinescopolamine, and hyoscyamine. Ingestion of the plants can cause disturbing hallucinationsparalysistachycardia, and memory loss and can be fatal. Various species were used both ritualistically and as herbal medicine by indigenous peoples and their shamans, particularly in the northern Andes.
  • We’ve got poisonous plants growing all over the place, but nobody’s yet been daft enough to eat any of them. Not even the dog.

I mean, foxgloves are quite deadly and they’re everywhere.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think they're both toxic but angels trumpet have hanging trumpets and devil's trumpets stand.

I saw someone mention "it's like the angels are blowing their trumpets from above so they are angled towards the ground and the devil is blowing up from hell"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd only really worry if there were kids around who might decide do a kid thing like chew a leaf. I'd also wear gloves if I was pruning them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But anyway the stories from people who have eaten the seeds are fucking terrifying.
  • Pretty much half the plants in an average garden are toxic if you eat part of them. Just don’t eat random shit and you’ll be fine.

Also re the solanacea. Chillis and peppers and potatoes are part of the same family too. The leaves of potatoes plants are toxic as fuck - as is the actual tuber if it’s exposed to sunlight as it grows. That’s why you should never eat green spuds.

Tldr everything’s poisonous. If they don’t sell it on the fruit and veg stand, don’t put it in your gob.
  • Elf.
    You’re defo not over watering any of that stuff. Compost at the time of planting helps as does mulching around the top of the plants you’ve just planted.
    If they’re looking really shit in a few weeks then you should start being concerned. Plants sometimes suffer from planting shock and should be given a little time to find their feet.
  • Thanks, bud.  We have mulch I think - looks like bark and other stuff?  I put some compost in when planting some of them - will wait and see.  Need to give plenty of water this week - gonna be a lovely hot week or two.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!