52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • I didn't play any at the time but I've since played through 2 and 11 solo, and X with retroking. 11 deserved a bit more attention than it seemed to get, I'm no expert on the series but it felt like it was doing things correctly.
  • Yeah 11 looks good. Waiting for a capcom sale on that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I'd like to play 11 as well. Frustratingly, I've cleared 2,3,4,5 BUT NOT 1.
  • I like the series but haven't completed many either, only 1, 2, X and 7.

Waiting for a sale on 11 too.

I played Legends for about an hour a month ago, really enjoyed what I played of it surprisingly. Definitely one I intend to get around to finishing.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 28. Cake Bash (Switch)
    Bullshit kids party game. Made the mistake of browsing through sale items with the kid present and this came up because it had a quid off or something. You are a cake. Compete with other cakes to be the tastiest, in a series of roughly ten very similar confectionary-themed games. The kid thinks she likes it but it winds her up a treat. It's really pretty unfair a lot of the time. Little room for skill. Very annoying. A free for all button masher. It's graphically ok compared to some of the dross that you find on the Switch aimed at that market. Instant infuriation ware. I've refused to carry on playing it with her. 43%
  • I had to install the demo on Xbox One and thankfully that was enough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like the series but haven't completed many either, only 1, 2, X and 7.

Waiting for a sale on 11 too.

I played Legends for about an hour a month ago, really enjoyed what I played of it surprisingly. Definitely one I intend to get around to finishing.

Oh I've cleared X1 and 2 like 10 times each. X was one of those few games I had for my SNES as a kid and I just trained myself to get good at it. Made sure to buy a SFC copy in Tokyo.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I had to install the demo on Xbox One and thankfully that was enough.
    It's effing rank.
  • 29. Astroboy: Omega Factor (GBA)
    God this took some doing. Played as God intended with the built-in save system and checkpointing. And the required two playthroughs to get the final levels and good ending.  
    Astro Boy does lasers like nothing else. They look and sound great. The tools it gives you for crowd-control when things get hectic are sublime. Smack them up, bounce them about, fly straight through their attacks and unload in their face with an always satisfying mega laser. Crazy characters pulled from the author's oeuvre that veer between Looney Tunes style cartoons and something more like Dragon Ball Z. There's almost no traditional structure at all. One set of levels starts with two boss fights. Then a short couple of screens where you fight some baddies. Then some more boss action. 

First playthrough is pure gravy with no-repetition checkpointing. Bosses that seem invincible on the first bash but you learn a bit more each time. Then you start again, tearing through the early bits of the game but more powered-up. Then it goes off the rails for a while. Fully mental unlock system involving going in and out of random levels finding crucial game progression characters hidden in the most obscure places they could think of. Checkpointing no longer very generous (or at least I came a cropper more often which exposed it a bit). Slight mistakes punished brutally. But it's not just that the game gets harder. The difficulty is quite uneven as well. One boss is unchanged but you are stronger. Then suddenly the next one has got a mate with him and it's rock solid. Then the next unchanged again.

If anyone is still following the plot at this point, then well done. Every character seems to have two personas. The second playthrough introduces a time-shifting plot with some similarities, some differences. Identical looking people with different alter-egos swap places and roles. It's a mess. An absolute mess. Combined with the unlock thing, I nearly packed it in at that point. Presumably for fans, this is a complete smorsgaboard of service. So I'm sure opinions differ there, and I'm not deducting any points for it. But you do need to pay some attention to it as you have to try and find some of these mental characters dotted around (*cough* walkthrough). 

Then the final set of levels kick in. It's still quite punishing, there's one boss rush part in particular that can get in the bin, then a quite easy last couple of bosses. It's all so epic and enjoyable that, despite some wrestling with its progression format, all grudges are forgiven. Plus it has bum guns. Actual bum guns. 91%
  • Great review, great game. A top 5 Treasure list would have to omit some ridiculously strong games.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    YEEEAAHHHHH That game rules
  • I can't resist, apologies.

1. Bangai-O (Dreamcast for me)
    2. Dynamite Headdy
    3. Sin & Punishment 2
    4. Astro Boy
    5. Gunstar Heroes

I was too crap at Ikaruga to consider it and I really should find a way to play Gradius V, Radiant Silvergun and Silhouette Mirage. Am I forgetting something major though?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've never played Bangai-O to my eternal shame.
  • My eternal Bangai-O shame is the faint memory of getting repeatedly pummeled by one of the early stages in the XBLA sequel and watching Dubs hoover up all the achievements in a few days.
  • If Ikaruga was too nails you've no chance with Gradius V, imo.
  • 1cc on Ikaruga here btw.
  • Alright wind that back, it's maybe more accessible because it's a more straight up shooter, but it's harder for it imo.
  • 30. Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
    Not great. Wanted a quick and easy romp to play when I was ill. More or less delivers on that small ask but was hoping it would be a bit more fun. Quicker and slicker than your average 8-bit platformer. It controls really well. But the levels are dull, the underwater stage is tedious even for an underwater stage. Fair bit of dodgy collision detection. Not a classic. Low score but respectable enough for a game of this type. 67%   

31. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System)
    Worse than above. No improvements. Seems like the same game that they've made some new levels for. It does at least have some loop the loops, which I didn't spot in the first outing. But poor old 8-bit Sonic barely has the puff to get round them. And this time you've got to find 5 hidden chaos emeralds just to play the final level and get an ending where Tails doesn't die. That requirement, plus a ridiculous maze stage full of pipes and spike traps meant I turned to a walkthrough. A walkthrough! To complete a Sonic game! A damning indictment of the tedious old practice of artificially-induced longevity? Or Scrubman Monkey's final shame? 58%

The later 8-bit Sonics seem better (they've got the spin dash at least). But I'm a bit burned out now so leaving them for another time. 

And that's it. Up to date. Next up, the Shovel Knight quadrilogy.
  • Oh and not counting this because I've already had vanilla MP Splatoon 2 once and the Octopack but finished the Octo Canyon thing on that earlier. Actually quite liked this one. You can upgrade the guns to the point where they aren't total dribblers. Then it starts realising it's potential a bit and becomes quite satisfying. Probably somewhere in the mid to high 80 per cents. Quite a solid bunch of levels and challenges.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I can't resist, apologies. 1. Bangai-O (Dreamcast for me) 2. Dynamite Headdy 3. Sin & Punishment 2 4. Astro Boy 5. Gunstar Heroes I was too crap at Ikaruga to consider it and I really should find a way to play Gradius V, Radiant Silvergun and Silhouette Mirage. Am I forgetting something major though?
    1. Astro Boy
    2. Headdy
    3. Ikaruga (even though I'm shit at it)
    4. Sin & Punishment 2
    5. Mischief Makers

I haven't played everything they've done, of course. I'd like a crack at Gradius V at least. I only played the handheld version of Bangai-O, which was pretty good but not quite up there.
  • monkey wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I had to install the demo on Xbox One and thankfully that was enough.
    It's effing rank.

tumblr_ol0x6wafZt1sqf5tdo3_400.gifv
  • Nice reviews @monkey
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Apart from the MS Sonic 1 one!!1
  • 14. Oddworld: Soulstorm [5]
    There's plenty to this and I enjoyed the variety of ideas and changes of pace. But the execution of so much of it is off, and it drags its levels on too long. Stodgy controls and poor visual communication make some pretty exacting action platform business much less fun than it should be.

15. Demon's Souls [9]
    It's a bit of strange coming to this for the first time after all these years. So much of what would have been mind blowing has been repeated in later games, so it's familiar now. But the structure and much of the level design still really stands up. It's more imaginative and experimental than the Dark Souls sequels, and that still shines through. I like that the bosses are more interesting ideas than brick wall challenges too (actually, the latter stages of the game were pretty easy). And playing it on the PS5 is pretty great - even if it were just for the loading times, an absolute marvel. The first Dark Souls is still the sweet spot for me for this bunch, but this can tuck in behind, next to Bloodborne and ahead of Darks 2 and 3.
  • 41. Skelattack - Switch (3hrs)

Konami published 2D platformer that reeks of rush-job.  This might be be done with taking punts on random EShop offerings, we'll see.  I guess even I've got a That's Life Magazine breaking point beach snap in me.  There are placards lying around in some areas that tell you how many times you've died, accompanied by a lel of some description.  One of them read 'you have died 102 times.  I don't know what you get out of this', and that landed right on my nose.  

It's a soft masocore/Metroidvania ultralite that seems to think it's pulling off a half decent Hollow Knight impression at times (it's not).  So many things just don't feel right or don't make sense that the entire quest is one big mess.  You lose a chunk of your crystal reserves when you die, but they stay next to where you fell until you die again, Shovel Knight (Dark Souls?) style.  Fine, pinching things from elsewhere is often a great idea, but in a checkpoint platformer like this four deaths in a segment = Ian Beale saying he's got nothing left.  I'm not terrible at this sort of game, in fact I'd probably blow my own medium sized trumpet if I had one because they're my bread & butter really, but I rarely had enough currency to buy anything, at all, for the entire game because it all disappeared.  The risk/reward system is broken too, because on the vast majority of occasions the reward for dangerous exploration is crystals you'll lose within a few screens anyway.  The terrible second boss took me 15 minutes to beat, no subsequent boss took more than three attempts, and not a single one of them was any fun to dispatch.  It doesn't even seem to know how much health its health pick-ups give you, as the final boss room has half a dozen vials hovering next to the checkpoint, even though a) each one fills your health and b) dying refills your heath.  The wall jump is performed by pulling away from the wall rather than pressing a button, which just feels unnecessarily wrong given that the players this is surely aimed will be used to pressing the jump button (either instead of a direction or in tandem with a direction).  I could go on, but I'm genuinely sulking about wasting my time on this one.  

It doesn't look particularly good, it sounds okay but with a ton of repetition, and it plays poorly.  I'm disgusted with myself for seeing it through and it only cost £3, so anyone who paid the full RRP (which was £9 more than Hollow Knight) must've been apoplectic.  [3]     

e39481a6dd3ecd34b49f9a3f10054f71d7eb5139.gifv
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thank you for your service, moot
  • Having said that, I just spotted a 75% discount on a game called I Hate Running Backwards.

QwrC28.gif
  • I'll try anything with Devolver's name attached, it's like seeing the words Amy Adams on a film poster.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!