PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Amusing myself by reading Reg's post in the brain hormone gremlin voice. Good stuff.

Too fuckin right that's me

Image.png
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is also a great list. I completed There Is No Game last week and it probably would creep into my top 10 now. It is on Steam but is also £5 on a phone and that's definitely the best place to play it.
    The less you know about, the better.

Chris Schilling's Twitter list also just introduced me to Sticky Terms, which is free on Android (probably iOS too) and I am finding all sorts of delights in.

What I love about end of year lists / this time of year is that I usually end up finding 5-6 games that just completely passed me by and end up to be real hidden delights, but that is also the double edged sword with what Cinty mentioned, the reason I'm not seeing them is they are completely drowning in the content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Indies have never better. A lot depends on what platform you're on. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-30-2020s-best-games-gave-me-the-quiet-magic-i-was-seeking

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-27-having-a-proper-heart-to-heart-with-2020s-best-games

And props to Nintendo for finally getting their indie act on with the Switch.

Those are personal lists from journos, which aren’t really all that representative of the official end of year lists from their publications.

But, I agree, notwithstanding the struggles that Cinty mentioned, that indies are generally in a pretty good place as far as visibility for the gaming public goes. They’re in a good place for me personally too, as so many appear on Game Pass for me to try out.
  • Think I played three new games this year so, in order:

Streets of Rage 4
    Fall Guys
    Huntdown
  • @Yoss

You seem to be dismissing indies because they're not on many GOTY lists, which is weird. I think we should encourage Matty to play some don't you?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Yoss

You seem to be dismissing indies because they're not on many GOTY lists, which is weird. I think we should encourage Matty to play some don't you?

I’m not dismissing indies at all, I probably play more indies than anything else. I’m just discussing whether they’re more prevalent on end of year lists this year than previous years, that’s all.

And I didn’t get the impression that Marty wasn’t playing indies from his post.
  • He rarely dips. He should dip more.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    @Yoss

I’m not dismissing indies at all, I probably play more indies than anything else. I’m just discussing whether they’re more prevalent on end of year lists this year than previous years, that’s all.

Don't mix me up with Matty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Think I played three new games this year so, in order:

Streets of Rage 4
    Fall Guys
    Huntdown

Still not played that 79p Post Void I bought you eh smh

As bad as Rouj with Shower with your dad sim
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    @Yoss

Don't mix me up with Matty.

Damn you autocorrect.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Think I played three new games this year so, in order:

Streets of Rage 4
    Fall Guys
    Huntdown

Still not played that 79p Post Void I bought you eh smh

As bad as Rouj with Shower with your dad sim

I genuinely thought the other day about how you can probably tell I haven't played it yet, and it made it me feel bad. Sorry mate.

I haven't played any FPS at all since start of the year I think, if that helps, just not in the mood. Am looking forward to trying it when I am in the mood tho, if that means anything. Also, am obviously well chuffed you gave it me (fnar).

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I didn't expect a gushing response. I'd gush for you anytime bbz.
  • Huntdown looks lovely.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Amusing myself by reading Reg's post in the brain hormone gremlin voice. Good stuff.

Too fuckin right that's me

Image.png

The sequel all sequels wish they were.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's so fucking good I'm going to watch it again tomorrow.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Hello.

Gaming experiences I have enjoyed this year:

Undermine
    Hades
    Spiritfarer
    Carrion
    Fall Guys
    The Last Campfire
    Fuser
    Tetris Effect: Connected
    Hyperdot
    The Touryst

Wow, I played more games than I thought this year. Hope you are all well, fellow enjoyers.

• He rarely dips. He should dip more.

Is that an invitation, sailor?

I think this year was because Warzone dominated my first 6 months of gaming. Normally I get a bunch of indies in as well but this year was an odd one
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hello Ollie.

jaYw73l.gif

Nice to see you around again.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Gonna tally up on Friday.  Lock yer votes in.
  • Oh, I thought it was end Feb? Ok. I haven’t voted yet.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 1. Slay The Spire (iOS) - one of the bestest games ever that only gets better and better the more you play.  So I dipped in on Mac, then DS kindly gifted it to me on Switch and I've put in so many hours on that.  Bought on 360 and I play now and then during rest periods during a workout.  And on iOS on my train rides and bedtime and downtime.  Not sure why I don't have this on PS4.  IT'S. THAT. GOOD.

2. Persona 5 Royal (PS4) - a 140hr journey through one year in the life of a delinquent... Became a big fan when I played P4G on Vita which sits in my top 10 games, and this didn't disappoint - improved dungeons, although they can drag later; better battles; some of the best audio and visual design; and a great cast of characters and villains.  I have other Persona games on my radar and this is becoming one of my favourite series.

3. The Last of Us Part II (PS4) - a big improvement in the gameplay area, this was actually very fun to play but I found only when stealthing mostly, which is how I play anyway.  Reservations about the plot itself or at least some of it, but the story is expertly told and the impact of some of the scenes will last a long time.  Any game which has me thinking back to certain scenes even when I'm not playing, and for a long time, is doing something right for me.  And of course there are some big jaw dropping set pieces.  It overstays its welcome a little, and the lack of real choice is a bummer - which is something most games suffer from although it feels more pronounced here - otherwise this is the current pinnacle of narrative driven cinematic action adventures.  It will take some beating and it feels like only Naughty Dog themselves can do it.

4. Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition (PS4) - a strange game that isn't really a game.  Extremely hard to describe and even harder to judge in any meaningful way.  All I can say is that it's beautiful in many ways and a lot of thought has gone into it, not least the superb script and audiovisuals.  A flowing, moving piece of artwork that makes you feel glad that it exists and that there are people out there with the talent and guts to make it happen.  A one of a kind.

5. A Short Hike (Switch) - one lazy afternoon taking a break from work and kids, spent just enjoying this wonderful little thing.  Such a joy to wander around an island, exploring and talking to the inhabitants and visitors, collecting, flying, just smiling at it all.  Over in 2 hours (or less) but one of the happiest 2 hour-sessions I've ever had.

Honorable Mentions:
    Doom Eternal - different to the 2016 reboot.  In your face, chaotic, hectic, relentless - but with all the options and tools at your disposal, it makes for an exhilarating ride.
    Hades - still playing and it is lovely.  Not finished it or unlocked much, but as with Slay The Spire, I'm expecting it to just get better and better.  Or it may not (for me).  I keep going back to it, the incremental drip feed of progress and feeling of getting more powerful being such a draw.
    Paradise Killer - another that sits unfinished but great what I played of it.  That music!
  • Ok, locking in with:

1.Huntdown - Simply my favourite game I've played since Gunstar Heroes in 1993. Loved everything about it, music, art style, well judged comedy, guns that hit home and some of the best bosses ever. Writing this makes me want another playthrough.

2. The Last of Us Part 2 - Wasn't a huge fan of the original but this was an incredible experience. Bit drawn out in places but I thoroughly enjoyed it all especially the human encounters. Graphically more next gen than any next gen game I've played (and that was on a base PS4) plus didn't quite get the issues people raised about the plot, I thought it was decent.

3. Retro Formula Racing- The best arcade racer since Outrun. Shits all over Hotshot Racing.

4. Streets of Rage 4 - How to do a remake, can't wait to play couch with someone!

5. Assasins Creed Valhalla- My first AC and currently 70hrs in and still loving it. Some lovely and touching moments. Axehead being my favourite so far.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Another rejig:

1. Huntdown 
    2. MO: Astray 
    3. Streets of Rage 4 
    4. Kentucky Route Zero 
    5. Super Meatboy Forever 

---- 

6. Gears Tactics
    7. Ori & the Will o' the Wisps 
    8. What the Golf? 
    9. Spiritfarer 
    10. Journey to the Savage Planet 

DOOM Eternal - Relegated!

Can't decide if ScourgeBringer cracks the top 5 yet but otherwise this still looks right for me.

Edit: It does, at no.4 too.  So Huntdown, MO, Streets of Rage 4, ScourgeBringer, Kentucky Route Zero.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    1. Slay The Spire (iOS) - one of the bestest games ever that only gets better and better the more you play.  So I dipped in on Mac, then DS kindly gifted it to me on Switch and I've put in so many hours on that.  Bought on 360 and I play now and then during rest periods during a workout.  And on iOS on my train rides and bedtime and downtime.  Not sure why I don't have this on PS4.  IT'S. THAT. GOOD.

Can't believe you did this! You should feel ashamed.

Disclaimer - I have it on PC, Switch and iOS
  • Moot Rules allow it!

And 360???? Where the fuck did I get that?! I clearly meant Bone.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Moot Rules allow it! And 360???? Where the fuck did I get that?! I clearly meant Bone.

This is the worst game of all time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right, in gonna update this lot in situ, having played a couple not...
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The muzz update, following a spin through the thread / a bit more playing...

Played, approx order:
    TLoU 2
    Demon's Souls
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Ori 2
    AstroBot
    HyperDot
    The Last Campfire
    Undermine
    A Short Hike
    ScourgeBringer
    Journey to the Savage Planet
    Fall Guys
    Hades
    Touryst
    Flight Simulator
    SMB Forever
    Gunfire Reborn
    Tell Me Why
    Hotshot Racing
    SoR4

Not yet played but likely to compete favourably:
    Vigil
    Foregone
    FFVII Remake
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Lightmatter
    The Last Campfire
    Spelunky 2
    FFVII Remake
    Remnant from the Ashes
    MO:Astray
    KRZ
    Cyberpunk
    Doom Eternal

Pretty happy with my top ten, not totally happy with ordering within it / what's top 5. And definitely a couple of the extras which I really ought play...
  • Tally, ho?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!