Make it so - fucking shitty
  • I also go for the pretty bitchy secret lizards like Diana and Priti Patel.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's probably a website for it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Anyway I can stand most of the badness but the thing I really dislike about Picard is that he just doesn’t seem like the same character. He’s some kindly warm old man, not the grouchy twat of old. I can give them some leeway with age changing him or whatever but it just doesn’t seem like the same bloke.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Title has got TLC's Unpretty stuck in my head.

Tuneage
  • It's fine, it's not Star Trek but it's fine. The wildly different hopes for the show outlined in this thread alone should probably serve as an indication that they were never going to keep everyone happy in the execution, that there isn't some perfect "middle-ground" Star Trek formula they could have hit to keep all the long-hanging fans satisfied while still keeping the show at all relevant or interesting to 21st century audiences that aren't necessarily familiar with the entire canon, so hey might as well be pleased that they're doing something that isn't another fucking prequel series.
  • I’ve had this song stuck in my head since watching the last couple of episodes.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Granted, the plot for every episode would be:

Guest star: Why are you doing it this way, winemaking has been a wholly finished technology for centuries, here just d/l this fucking sick La Tache circa 2XXX and

Picard: No I need the dirt and the graft and mutter mutter what is a man

Guest star: Okay then

But that reads like not worse than what they've actually made.

In my imagination, an obscure Picard relative has emerged to lay claim to the estate, taking over part of the vineyards, the trademark for Chateux La Barre and the castle that serves as the label's bottlery, while our Jean-Luc retains the traditional Chateux Picard. The two engage in a frenetically-paced shonen anime-style battle for wine supremacy, utilising every available aspect of 24th Century technology to terraform the land and manipulate the weather to influence the terroir of their respective wines, while also teaching the viewer some genuine facts about real-life winemaking along the way.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • While the reality is that in his mind he's bad ass Jean-Luc Picard. Saving the universe one sentient android at a time...
    EuTMY04.png

...but then you pull back and zoom in a bit and realise that he's just a senile old duffer whose rucksack has fallen off his shoulder, and he's actually saving the universe armed with a string bag containing his packed lunch...
    Wlr81OA.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah basically they should've handed the keys to Barney Farmer and never looked back.
  • So much of it annoys me.

Picard being a completely different person.
    The dystopia, the federation being useless and failing apart.
    (It's Trump, Brexit and Syria, wow you are so smart with you allegories guys, fucking amazing.)
    The Tech being completely different
    The theme tune of you can call it a tune
    The title.

Every single scene Rafi is in
    Every single scene she shares with Picard
    That we are supposed to care about or feeling anything about their backstory when we don't know it and they have no chemistry

The slowness, the pointlessness, the out of characterness.

JL

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • All I've seen of this is a trailer on twitter that made Data's head look comically large so I haven't bothered. Not that I was going to, mind.

/exits thread for good.
  • Sounds like it needs Q to show up, say "Oh for fuck's sake, Jean Luc, what has happened?" and reset the timeline.

Thinking about it, a series about Picard and Q running a French vineyard could make a good comedy.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Screw Picard. Give me a Dark Tower series and don't fuck it up please.

Hmmm.  I might have agreed with this once upon a time, but having returned to the series recently (on Song of Susannah right now), it’s my opinion that it would make for awful telly.  It’s no wonder studios have struggled to do anything with the IP.

On topic, I’ve only seen the first ep of Picard, which I quite enjoyed, so it makes me sad to hear people think it’s all fallen off a cliff since.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds like it needs Q to show up, say "Oh for fuck's sake, Jean Luc, what has happened?" and reset the timeline. Thinking about it, a series about Picard and Q running a French vineyard could make a good comedy.

Just what I was thinking. A de-fanged Q and Picard arguing in the vineyard or having capers but sharing a bottle at the end of the day in a "what-did-we-learn-today" scene. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    kneecap wrote:
    The slowness, the pointlessness, the out of characterness. JL

We are being strung along and that makes me reach for the button.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Maybe there's more characters to come, it just needs something more

LIBuzLh.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • If Q turned up in this he’d say fuck a lot and be gay. Picard would be pleased to see him and ask him to join his team.
  • The tone of the thing is all over the shop as well. It’s got the same problem as Discovery. If it’s for kids then why are people dropping f bombs and gouging eyeballs? If it’s for adults then why’s it so stupid?
  • Spoiler: A lot of adults are quite stupid.
  • Surely no one is Discovery Season 2 stupid.
  • Bob wrote:
    In case you didnt guess, this is a thread dedicated to the new show Picard. Apologies if there was already a thread, but I did a cursory search and saw none. Without resorting to spoilers, this is a fucking trashfire mess. Im up to date on the episodes and the quality is just plummeting with each new episode. It started really well I thought. Boy was I wrong.....Im at work so no time to elaborate atm.
    I’m guessing you didn’t see the two fat dudes ripping the shit out of episode one?
    I’m sure people complained when I posted that.
    The dudes make a lot of sense and back it up with examples what’s not to like?
    Yup have seen the RLM vid. Ive also seen their vid on episodes 2 and 3. Soooo many valid points. Watching it I had to laugh because I actually didnt realise the Romulan secret police were a different thing to the other....robot killing group. The names were so similar.
    But yes its a Friday night permafeature for me too. Sigh.

kneecap wrote:
    So much of it annoys me. ...
    Every single scene Rafi is in
    Every single scene she shares with Picard
    That we are supposed to care about or feeling anything about their backstory when we don't know it and they have no chemistry The slowness, the pointlessness, the out of characterness. JL
    YESSSSS

She is fucking awful. A grating, arse of a character. And the latest episode.....A plotline about an estranged son. Yawn. But that son just so happens to be in the same city/planet that Picard is going to. That son has a pregnant wife and they are living in fucking Cyber Vegas Megacity 1. FFS. That is beyond lazy to the point of insult.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Things I like about it:

Rios. He's fairly good, seems to have a bit of charm. Sometimes written fairly badly but we can't ask for miracles here.
    The EMH, a crew of holographic Rios varients, I like it, it makes enough logical sense and it's fun.
    The present day Star Fleet uniforms are fairly decent.
    Daji/Soji, she's got some charm to her. Even if everything is revealed painfully slowly.
    Narek is ok.
    The incest drivem Sister Romulan. She's hot.
    The Irish Romulan - I'm not entirely sure if I like it, but the actress is at least good. I assumed in episode 3 they would both join the crew. The show would be better if they did.
    The look of the samurai Romulan. Unfortunately not his characterisation.

What I hate about it however is how it has ruined the fundamental concept of Star trek.

Writing Utopian Science Fiction is harder than Dystopian and this show has either undermined or changed or outright destroyed basic concepts of Star Trek.

Also the look is so generic I want to see modern Lcars displays and feeling, not fucking computers from Avatar, nothing is tangible.
    Spending tons of money in CG establishing shots and yet the next generation with flimsy sets and matte paintings actually had the atmosphere this lacks.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yeah the computer stuff is fucking boring generic futuristic displays. And holograms again, urgh.
  • I will say one thing for Picard. Its fucking better than Discovery.
    Not seen a Federation ship yet" Curious about seeing one of those.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • As I might have said I've been watching TNG on and off for the last 6 months or more, recently I finished season 1 and waded into season 2.

In the previous episode A Matter of Honor there was a notable uptick in the quality of the show, Ryker become commander of a Klingon ship.

Watched Measure of a Man today. It's another clearly visible quality uptick, the writing, the pacing, the edit, the smally quirks of the actors, It's not even comparable to the flasher more expensive Picard.

The entire episode takes place between a few rooms of a star base and a star ship, the Enterprise doesn't go into warp, there is no phaser fire, no torpedoes, and yet it's one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever made.

Ironically it's the episode singularly connected to Picard in terms of Story Points even above the Locutus of Borg episode
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: it not being utopian enough, the showrunner wrote a thing about how, just like how DS9 was themed around being a serialised story set on a space station and Voyager was themed around being stranded far from Earth, Picard is meant to be themed around people on the fringes or outside of the Federation. But it's called Star Trek: Picard and was marketed as essentially a TNG continuation. You'd expect a show to set out its stall in the promotion and pilot, not a internet post.

It does make sense that it seems less utopian if they're going out of their way to show the world of Star Trek outside the Federation - the TOS movies were a bit like that at times. But it's also understandable that fans don't get or like it - they expect and wanted a utopian TNG continuation. Showing the utopian Federation buckling under pressure also muddied the water a bit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There is a RLM video for eps 4 and 5.

I actually cant quite believe how bad this looks.
    What the fuck is up with the eye patch routine?

I'm not even a Star Trek fan and I can see this is all kinds of wrong.
  • The Measure of a Man is such a good episode of television.

If they wanted a show about the fringes of the Federation, having Mr Starfleet to contrast it would have been fine. It didnt need to turn the Federation into a bunch of twats to do that though. Just go beyond its reach.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!