WHY WILL I REMEMBER THIS
  • nick_md wrote:
    Just had another one I forgot to mention: whenever someone says something will take about 10 minutes I can't help but go, "you've got 10 minutes Lynn", sometimes in my head, sometimes out loud. I don't even know if people know where it's from. Happened just now.

It’s an Alan Partridge quote, the scene in which he takes Lynn to visit the grave of her dead mum on the episode in which he plans his Bond marathon
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Oh hang on. I misread. You said you don’t know if people know where it’s from, I read it as you don’t know where it’s from.

Ignore me, carry on
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Hah, yeah I know very well where it's from :)

I work with a lot of youngsters and non-English folk.
  • I mainly work with youngsters too, non of them get my Alan Partridge or Fast Show references
  • I commented, 'he's seen more bricks than Fred Dibnah' last week in relation to a colleague acquiring more bricks (don't ask) than anyone else ever. I was extremely pleased with that quip, but oddly enough the Spaniards around me had no idea what I was on about.
  • Bloody foreigners refusing to integrate.
  • hah, yeah that did sound a bit brexit eh (unintentional) :)
  • Nah, the joke wasn't levelled at yourself.

I like the idea of a bunch of Spanish people revising Dibnah for the citizenship test though. Would be more appropriate than most of that test.

Semester 1 Fred Dibnah
    Semester 2 Raymond Briggs
  • I wouldn't go in there for roughly 35 45 minutes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • • If anyone ever says that they’re trying their best, I can’t help but respond with, “Your besht? Loshersh always whine about their besht. Winnersh go home and fuck the prom queen.” Depending on the company, of course. (I’m watching The Rock right now, actually.)

• The first ½-⅔ of Puck’s speech recounting to Oberon how he gave Bottom a donkey’s head and made Titania fall in love with him, from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. There’s about 6-8 lines which are a bit fuzzy in my brain, but then it comes back for the last couplet. I find myself performing it to an audience of me every few weeks. It was the last section of dialogue I learned when I played the part 25 years ago, and I remember memorising it as I paced back and fore on a patch of grass in the sunshine.

• This one’s a bit of both. I had a book of children’s poetry growing up, called The Children’s Book. They were all by famous people; Kenny Everett, Rodger Hargreaves, Margaret Thatcher, quite the mix. I think this one was Michael Palin’s entry:
    “Where I come from,”
    Said the man in the hat,
    “It’s a common belief
    That the world is flat.
    People may mock me,
    And people may scoff,
    But I know someone
    Who’s fallen off.”
    Sometimes I recite it to myself apropos of nothing, but it’s often triggered by people saying anything that is even vaguely similar to any of the lines.
  • A short, short poem from an old book I had as a kid but one my mum would always say if we asked for another bed time story.

Algy met a bear,
    A bear met Algy.
    The bear was bulgy,
    The bulge was Algy.

Oh, this was the exact book.
    9d19e95e22095c5d581581bc0e2df5d8.jpg

Edit: thanks for the prompt Andy, feels a bit tight not to give you a nod there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Andy -

R.e. midsummer - me exactly the same. ANON HIS THISBE MUST BE ANSWER-ED

Also the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet
  • Sometimes when I'm going on a long journey I get the map screen from inbetween levels on Golden Axe popping into my head.

This is my shame.

Also whenever anyone says "Is this true?" be it in real life, or books or films/tv I always reply "Yes your honour, it's true, this man has no dick." in my head in the voice of Bill Murray in Ghostbusters because as a wee lad, that off the cuff retort was basically peak comedy in my tiny mind and as far as I was concerned back then at the time wouldn't be bettered.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • And hasn't been.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I need Andy to know I also was puck
    A mistress worth his monster is in love
  • Random shit like Pitt is to Addington what London is to Paddington.

Also, a number of surats - the short ones - I can recite by heart in perfect Arabic.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Gotta say, reciting the Koran is a real delight - truly. It's got a beautiful, soothing cadence. Arabic spoken well is a glorious sound. Shame you never hear it, spoken Arabic is mostly gross when I hear it - Egyptian and Saudi/qatari especially
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Nah, the joke wasn't levelled at yourself. I like the idea of a bunch of Spanish people revising Dibnah for the citizenship test though. Would be more appropriate than most of that test. Semester 1 Fred Dibnah Semester 2 Raymond Briggs

Semester 3 Fred Dinenage
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gotta say, reciting the Koran is a real delight - truly. It's got a beautiful, soothing cadence. Arabic spoken well is a glorious sound. Shame you never hear it, spoken Arabic is mostly gross when I hear it - Egyptian and Saudi/qatari especially

I was in Turkey '96 with Wifey - 3 week honeymoon. Stayed at Kusadasi with a break in Istanbul in the middle. Even in Kusadasi there was the call to prayer several times a day back then. I say back then - it may well be the case though with it being a tourist resort I couldn't say if that is normal. 

I was surprised how quickly I got used to it - quite liked it after a while.
  • Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    The HBO sound.
    Ah, but the big question is what theme tune comes after it in your head. Somewhat shamefully it's always Sex and the City for me.

The Sopranos.  Always.
  • Problem is, with the influence of Saudi Islam, singing is haram so this kind of musical cadence is disappearing from adhans. Music is haram. Except that weird men group chanting in Isis videos, that's fine of course.

And the other thing is technology. All these mosques - which had maybe one or two megaphones back in the day, now have loads and carry far off. Which means that in a city like Jakarta, at adhan, you hear an absolute cacophony of adhans, some sung, many mor essentially spoken, all out of sync. It's horrible. It made me sad, pine for my childhood of hearing a nice sound like that, three or four times a day.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    The HBO sound.
    Ah, but the big question is what theme tune comes after it in your head. Somewhat shamefully it's always Sex and the City for me.

The Sopranos.  Always.

Base riff followed by "if you walk through the gardeeeeeen / You better watch your back" for me

• Poddington Peas?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's beautiful,

The pauses add something to it. Esp. with the amplification and the slight echo effect.  Aesthetically speaking here.
  • It's not a great recording, but I searched quickly and most of the clips were said cacophony.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • I do a pretty good one if I say so myself.

Planning on going hajj with wife this year. Can’t wait.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not quite the same but I will never get the music of Golden Axe out of my head.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!