2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • Has to be a matter of time for everything not published by Nintendo!  Be strong.   I'm in the same boat with River City Girls.  In a post SOR4 world that's a 75% off game surely.
    In a post SOR4 world it's not worth it. Even pre SOR4 it wasn't much good.
  • Mother Russia Bleeds was 89p recently, snap it up if that kind of discount comes around again.
  • @Jon that's a shame, thought it looked pretty stylish.  Oh well.

@Moot Was wondering why I didn't see that, but it turns out it never got a Switch release in Australia lol.  Will have to keep an eye on the international stores.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Ah ok.  I assume the Australian store is missing a few Devolver Digital releases then.
  • Yeah definitely Hotline Miami Collection isn't available.  You can get the first game on Playstation and PC but the second was refused classification.

You can also get Mother Russia on Steam here lol.  

Doing a bit of reading online this afternoon (anything to avoid work) I speculate Devolver figure that dealing with the Australian Classification Board isn't worth the trouble, when you can change regions on the Switch without much fuss and buy their controversial games.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • @Jon that's a shame, thought it looked pretty stylish.  Oh well.
    I mean, the actual fighting is OK (although no SoR4), but it drags it out into a 10-hour adventure with backtracking and upgrades without having the variety to back it up. I got bored and gave up before the end.
  • 66. Sonic Mania - Encore Mode (Switch, 3hrs 18 mins)

What I originally thought in one of these threads:

Probably the best Sonic experience since Knuckles + 3, and surpasses that in places.  Over the moon with what they've done here - imo it takes the best of Sonic and adds better bosses.  So far I've just played one run to the credits, but I've got nothing but fondness for the experience.  Will be there or thereabouts as my GotY.  [9]

Which I'd pretty much stick to.  It deserved a slightly more in-depth take at the time really, given that it was pretty much the best thing Sega could possibly have done with a new Sonic.  It was a crying shame the Saturn never hosted a new 2D Sonic game, but Christian Whitehead & co. basically created a modern 32-bit Sonic game that played like remastered greatest hits, with a smattering of valid bonus tracks.  The bulk of the game was made up of familiar stages (with new layouts) from the only golden era of Sonic - '91-94 - packed with familiar music and built around the only three characters worth their salt.  The bonus stages were outstanding, loosely based on the Sonic CD special stages, and it's probably fair to call them the best in the series.  The Sonic 2 tunnel is iconic but was never particularly playable (not with both characters at any rate - did anyone ever get all the emeralds with Tails mimicking their movements an entire second behind the inputs? ).  That format was probably 'perfected' in the Saturn port of Sonic 3D.  I quite liked the blue sphere stages from Sonic 3, and they returned to Mania alongside the flat shaded polygon chase-the-UFO sections.

It was a brilliant update because it did everything Sonic did well, but with extra finesse and variety.  This was never going to win anyone over to the Sanic format - surely all gamers over a certain age know whether they liked the Megadrive Sonic games or not - but for existing fans it was an absolute treat, up there with Sonic 2 and Sonic 3+Knuckles for sure.  A year or so after launch the 'Plus' dlc arrived, which I grabbed for cheap on Switch.  The Encore mode adds two characters from a lesser known Sonic the Hedgehog arcade game - Mighty the Armadillo and [something] the Squirrel, but they're miles less shite than Vector the Crocodile, Big the Cat, Rogue (Rouge?) the Bat or any of the other jokers since.  Plus they have distinct abilities that that felt worthwhile.  It also rejigs the stage layouts and aesthetic here and there.  Instead of traditional lives you collect character changes from TV sets and can switch between the main two at any point.  It's an okay idea in theory but it does some annoying things with the restart points, meaning it either feels too easy if you've collected a few buddies or too harsh with a single character (somewhat negated by gaining continues admittedly).  At first I thought the stages were completely overhauled, but the bulk of them are actually quite similar, which is a bit lazy compared to top tier dlc offerings.  It's minor tinkering on the whole, with the new characters, character system and colour palettes being the main changes (bonus stage layouts are new too, and overly harsh).  Oh, and a hilariously bad pinball special stage has been added, which feels like it was rescued from the Chaotix cutting room floor.  It's quite a thing. The competition mode now works with four players instead of two...but that's about it as far as I can tell.  The dlc is far from vintage really, so: [6].  The mania show is wonderful but don't expect much from the encore. It's just about worth it for the new characters though. Still, it was a good excuse to play through it again, which had me dreaming of all the missing stages they could stuff in Sonic Mania 2.

tumblr_inline_p7qyhp1hL71qbjpiv_540.gif
  • 67. Portal 2 (5-6hrs) - played on Xbox One

Total play time is a guess there really, it may have taken longer but it didn't feel like it.  The first Portal is a [10] for me, and on reappraisal I think the sequel sneaks into this elite bracket too.  The campaign, with its unrivalled videogame script and delivery; what a ride.  Factor in the co-op and you've got a rare example of a sequel that improves upon near perfection.  

Enough about the game though, I know if Elf's reading he'll be dying to clap eyes on my list o' tens.

So in no particular order, the games that I consider to be actual full moot [10]s are:

Portal
    Portal 2
    Super Monkey Ball
    Super Meat Boy
    Shovel Knight
    Fez
    Thumper
    Super Mario 3D World
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Streetfighter 2: Turbo or Special Champion Edition
    Heave-Ho!
    Trials Evolution
    Mario Odyssey

That's how the land lies rn anyway.

Nearest misses, but [9]s nonetheless: Hotline Miami, Celeste, Wario Ware, Fire Emblem Awakening, Micro Machines 2, Kururin Paradise, Pro Evolution Soccer 6, Ori in the Blind Forest, Mario Golf World Tour, Rocket League.

In a couple of cases these are games that have retained honorary 10s despite being 'of their time' in some respects (Ocarina of Time, Halo CE), but mostly it's a crop of games that will continue to be almost perfect forever.  Apart from BotW, which is actually a bit crap in certain ways but over-compensates spectacularly with all the good parts.

tumblr_n6vjvpOZ8g1tbmc5ho1_500.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heave-Ho!

Oh moot
  • Absolute nailed on 10. It's one of the tennest tens on there.
  • Mighty is aighty. Ray is shit.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Heave-Ho!
    Oh moot

He's got Flippy Sticks lined up next.
  • Two of the weaker Mario games?! Ok.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 2. Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4

Its all been said. Very pretty game, but very hollow. Got very bored. Not a patch on the first game for me. Traded it in. 6
  • Mighty is aighty. Ray is shit.

Aha, Ray the Squirrel. He'd be good in levels built around his ability I reckon but it didn't feel like there were too many opportunities to take flight.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Two of the weaker Mario games?! Ok.

Yup, he's absolutely mooted it
  • I'd pay at least £20 to watch a 'Muzzy and Elf play' Heave-Ho! Twitch stream.
  • Muzzy's 10s would mostly be obscure puzzlers and games about maths, Elf's would be arty non-games and stuff like Catherine: PAWG edition.

List em!
  • My favourite games don’t have many 10s in them. Personal favourites and “the ‘best’ games, wot get 10” are different innit.
  • I mean, ICO, Journey, NieR Automata and Persona 4 Golden aren’t going to get a 10 from anyone, d’ya reckon?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Personal favourites and “the ‘best’ games, wot get 10” are different innit.

Only if that's how you choose to dish out your personal scores. My 10s are mine rather than 'me if I worked for Edge'. If I loved Journey to absolute bits I'd give it a 10.
  • Rather than the [4] I settled on.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    List em!

Super Mario World
    Zelda LTTP
    Super Meat Boy
    Hollow Knight
    Tetris
    FFVI
    FFVII
    ICO
    The Secret of Monkey Island
    Dark Souls
    Portal

They're probably the only nailed-on [10]s.  More [9]s than I could shake a stick at, I expect, including some obscure puzzle games (with The Witness, Baba, Spacechem all knocking on the door).  Civ, Super Metroid and MotorStorm PR are there or there abouts too...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Personal favourites and “the ‘best’ games, wot get 10” are different innit.

Only if that's how you choose to dish out your personal scores. My 10s are mine rather than 'me if I worked for Edge'. If I loved Journey to absolute bits I'd give it a 10.

As it should be. What's a score if it's not your own?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If it's not my score, then it's wrong is what it is
  • Exactly.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    If it's not my score, then it's wrong is what it is

Somewhere between six and eight of your 10s are wrong though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No.

Ergo plato classic moot.
  • 30.Vergils Downfall - 3 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox One X

Well, that was rather uninspired...it was ok, but again, just ok. No real story, lots of reused assets and environments, just a poor excuse of some paid for DLC at release. Only DMC4 left now and that’s all of them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!