GOTY 2019 & GOTD 2010-2019 - Full results on Page 1
  • In joint 9th place:

Ape Out (12)

What you said:

stormyskiesahead: “Looks amazing, sounds amazing. Played every single session sporting a huge grin.”

monkey: “Piss.” 

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (12)

What you said:
    regmcfly: “As we worked through the year, we became more fixated on ensuring we had a good Summer holiday (we did - which helped) but I became fixated on the release of Fire Emblem. I became a relatively late convert to the series, only starting with Awakening, but I have really loved the emphasis on creating bonds (strands? no) between  characters and also the sheer brutality of the combat model. Whilst I still believe that Awakening (you never forget your first time) was the most pure / efficient of the ones I have played (Awakening / Fates / Echoes / This) the concept of basically being a lecturer in Harry Potter town was one that really engrossed me. I've played through it twice, and need to see the trifecta out, but I was shocked the second time about seeing the impact my taking time in lectures had on the durability of my gang. It's a damn fun game that looks at the same concept from three perspectives - objectively, subjectively and shit-headedly - and it's an absolute blast.”
  • Yeah, should have mentioned, points for voting were from 5 down to 1.
  • You good, Jon. Some us should read the words.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • In 8th place:

The Outer Wilds (13)

What you said:

Moot_Geeza: “Not to be confused with The Outer Worlds, despite the fact that it looks like both sets of developers did precisely that when naming their wares.  A truly remarkable gaming experience that deserves to be pushed into the limelight when the end of year lists appear.  Part of the reason I'm typing this in my pants at home is the fact that I was up playing it at 3am and I've ended up chucking a good old fashioned sickie.  

Taking elements of the narrative FPS types (I'm fed up with referring to them as 'walking sims'), Majora's Mask and No Man's Sky, it's a laid back intergalactic episode of Treasure Hunt where information gradually gleaned through exploration is key to unravelling the mysteries of the solar system.  I've admired NMS from afar, but I'd rather inhale infinite helmetfulls of specefarts than actually participate in its proc gen quintillion worlds shtick.  Despite having no desire to play it, it's one of those games that makes me wish I wasn't me so I'd have a chance of enjoying it, y'know?  Enter The Outer Wilds, which is meticulously designed to within an inch of its life.  It only contains a handful of planets, each of which contains pertinent information that can be discovered in an order decided by the player.  The information gradually makes sense of the interplanetary goings on and will eventually guide you toward the endgame.  Here's the rub: playtime exists in a 22-minute loop, where everything you've interacted with resets once the sun goes supernova.  The ship's log acts as Guy Pearce's chest, thankfully, so every tidbit you discover is locked into your on-board computer.  There's very little hand holding so it was more than a little overwhelming for me at first, given that I usually focus on games that could be labelled 'Action' on the corner of a Master System cart.  The controls keep it grounded to an extent; it's a game I enjoyed playing but the fundamentals aren't much cop - it's a first person narrative type with added manoeuvrability, so the mechanics won't win prizes - but that's not why you'll take this particular trip and it's all fit for purpose.  

I don't want to reveal any more of its workings and intricacies as discovery is key to the experience, but at the same time I feel like a few paragraphs doesn't bang the drum enough.  Top tier indie gaming, credits have rolled and it's still in my head [8]”

Tempy: “A beautiful cosmic puzzle box. A solar system trapped in amber, tasking you as the scientists to unpick its mysteries through hypothesis and trial. As incredibly inventive as it is evocative, and exactly as frustrating as it needs to be to give it enough friction.”
  • In 7th place:

Astral Chain (14)

What we said:

hylian_elf: “Slow start but once this got going and you unlock some abilities and skills, the combat is good Platinum stuff as always. The mix of styles is good and works really well. Not the best example of each genre it puts into the mix, but the overall game is far better than the sum of its parts. [9]”

JonB: “Platinum at its best. Finding a new twist on those peerless combat mechanics and building a comprehensive future cop simulator around them. The genius is in how it ties the chain and the legions into everything you do, from rescuing cats to battling enormous trans-dimensional beasts.”
  • In 6th place:

Disco Elysium (15)

What you said:

stormyskiesahead “Good enough that I bought a proper copy to play after already playing through once with a somewhat dodgy copy. Just wanna drown in this world.”
  • Unfortunately I am going to have to stop there for the night. More tomorrow!
  • Gaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Im sitting here pressing refresh. 

Oh the agony of the wait now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I suspect Control, Sekiro, and Apex Legends will feature in top 5. Can’t remember what the other 2 might be.
  • I play the game I work on and bms, doubt that'll change much from now on. I haven't even returned to Cuphead despite loving what I did play. It's like a footballer who's too old to play anymore but still follows the game.

There is a halo tournament at work starting up tho that I've added my name to, I reckon I can still merk all these fools; one of them chose 'pretty good' on the skills list and when I checked, he had a 0.9 k/d. One guy listed himself as 'pro' with a 1.4 k/d. Hmm.
  • I have a 2.4, was 2.8 on H2.
  • I picked 'pretty good'
  • Haven't played since Reach came out, just like riding a bike tho eh.
  • 1.4 was where I hovered when I was playing too much, and you Definitely merced me. Of course we all know it was lag.

;(
  • I'm genuinely gonna get the 360 out this weekend and practice, is online still up for that?
  • I've only managed 1.0 with Destiny.
  • Lag was real for you, it's no joke. I remember those days fondly tho m8, Ringo avatar and all.
  • Lag was real, but also you were legit.

Get that bxr poppin.

Trying to remember the button combo for the double tap sprays. It involved quick yy in there.

Trigger xyy trigger? What got the cancel happening?
  • There it is, and the yy cancels the reload animation.
  • I totally outed myself at work saying I was checking k/d spreads of entrants, and asking if bxr and rrxyy was allowed. Yes we are playing h3.
  • Some of these people's first halo was reach, jeesh.
  • Haha, fucking classic, I watched that back in the day, that no scope on a ghost facing him, like a pixel or two of head to see... : Chef's kiss:
  • Erm. What’s the relevance of all this...???

Am confused.
  • I have to merk some fools, that's it. Not relevant to anyone but me. And Face. First kill is for you, Face.
  • In joint 4th place:

Apex Legends (16)

HQr1kl1.jpg

Yes, it’s Apex Legends, which from most of the screen shots I’ve just looked at appears to be a game about people posing in colourful outfits. Probably with attitude. I think there’s some shooting involved as well. A bit like Overwatch or Fortnite or something like that. People like those too, I hear. Fortunately, some of you lot wrote about it:

What you said:

Djornson: “Got me back into Multiplayer for a while, really great stuff.”

regmcfly: “Dung-Dung-Dung-Duuunngg - that four chord landing theme has been my go-to-melody this year. Apex feels perfect. The mechanics of moving around, of sliding, of reloading, and generally working your way around the terrain are all remarkable, and speak to a team with considerable experience in dealing with first person mechanics. The squad options (although all you need is Pathfinder) are deep and varied, and Respawn even managed to expand upon these with their season 2 character launches. The game does not feel absolutely bogged down in the 'you must buy' mechanics that other games have, and every game feels 'fair'. It's my fault when I disengage from my team, it's their fault when they don't spot the shotgunner behind the door. It's a frankly incredibly distillation of the Battle Royale format, and to be given it for 'free' is even more ludicrous. I can't want to see where it goes next - Tomorrow is in their hands (I'm SORRY).”

MattyJ: “Talk about making your mark in competitive gaming. Came out of nowhere and changed everything. The ping system is phenomena, making it genuinely possible for me to play with strangers and not feel like I need to talk to succeed. Had several victories with strangers and they felt great.

Updated throughout as well with good community engagement. Can't help but feel many games will be trying to emulate this for years (fortnite already added ping).”

stormyskiesahead: “Apex Legends - 500+ hours sunk on this so far and I'd be very surprised if I don't sink another 500 this year. Apex fixed so many of the issues I had with BR in general, and a good few others I didn't realise I had 'til they pointed 'em out. The quirky cast are fantastic and their unique abilities are almost perfectly balanced with the gunplay. Speaking of which, that gunplay is sublime, as is the movement. My only real issue is that I don't much care for the current map, but that's not because it's bad or anything, it just doesn't suit my playstyle. Anyhoo, Apex is my favourite BR by far, and the most fun I've had with a new game this year. Just bring back King's Canyon for good, okay Respawn?”

Resident Evil 2 (16)

q4oioRm.png

Ah, this is more like it. A tarted up old game that we all know and love, because let’s face it, people would rather have that than an actual new game with new ideas. Yes, Capcom, we would. Well, at least if you’re going to do this good a job of it.

What we said:

regmcfly: “Right at the time when we were in the worst of the above January stuff with regards to babies, one Sunday morning, I got a message from Elm that I had been gifted a copy of Resident Evil 2 on XBox. Being in a naturally fragile state I burst into tears and was obviously ridiculously grateful. January became a time when I retreated into the past, playing games that instilled nostalgia and reminded me of positive memories. Resident Evil 2 felt like the Bridge (Baby) for this (yes, I can't stop thinking about Death Stranding.) It has always been my favourite in the series, and on previous consoles, I could run it without even thinking. But this remake added so many interesting elements, not least making Mr. X into a real force of nature, something not even Nemesis managed. It's a fantastic version of how to update a game. I haven't put Link's Awakening on my list, even of to think about games, because it was so faithful, it felt like playing a 1993-ass game again. Resi 2 Remake showed how to take the mechanics of the past and bring them up to date.”

JonB: “The new benchmark for remake games. It's so clear that the developers have looked at the original in great detail, pulled it apart and understood exactly what to keep, what to improve and what to ditch to make a top-tier modern action game that still respects its source.”

Tempy: “A really worth remake of a game I never played, but read about obsessively as a kid. It's gorgeous, Mr. X is a great mechanic, and zombies are actually scary again.”

XOMuggins: “A beautiful melding of the great combat of 4,5 and 6 with the pacing and puzzles of the original games. Gorgeous to look at, really very scary and so damn satisfying. My only gripe would be it's a *little* bit too hard for me, which has stopped me doing a second or third playthrough. I am positive though that it is my game of 2019.”
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apex has been done the dirty. Fuck Sekiro.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!