Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That one hurt
  • Olimite wrote:
    Quick, someone make a Timdog joke, that’ll lighten the mood.
    Too soon for Timdog jokes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Still, I'm getting Diablo 4 let's go @afgavinstan

I think there's gonna be a problem in that the GP launch is happening mid-season, which I've already made paragon on. Rattle the campaign in time for the new season late April and we'll shoot that up together.

Sounds a plan
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Still, I'm getting Diablo 4 let's go @afgavinstan

I think there's gonna be a problem in that the GP launch is happening mid-season, which I've already made paragon on. Rattle the campaign in time for the new season late April and we'll shoot that up together.

Sounds a plan

Not available to Core players too, must have gamepass ultimate.
    Just so you know.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nae borrar I'm free Ultimate on the phone plan
  • And that’s why they’re having to go multi format. Giving this shit away with phones now.
  • But we have 35 million subscribers!!!!

456 of who actually pay full price.
  • But we have 35 million subscribers!!!! 456 of who actually pay full price.
    9JRMi0.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I dunno, free for no games feels like a fair deal.
  • I'm seeing a couple of places (one being PishSquare who I'm not a massive fan of) that the increase from 25mil GP subs to 34mil is largely because they rebadged Gold to GamePass Core.

It has been confirmed by The Verge (who I do trust) that the 34mil does include GamePass Core subs. Push Square are claiming there were 12mil Gold subs before the change. Can't see that number anywhere else but only because I can't see anyone saying any number.

So potentially not really growing then.

Typo stays.
  • No typo, that is their correct name.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm seeing a couple of places (one being PishSquare who I'm not a massive fan of) that the increase from 25mil GP subs to 34mil is largely because they rebadged Gold to GamePass Core. It has been confirmed by The Verge (who I do trust) that the 34mil does include GamePass Core subs. Push Square are claiming there were 12mil Gold subs before the change. Can't see that number anywhere else but only because I can't see anyone saying any number. So potentially not really growing then. Typo stays.

As you've said, the 34m includes the converted Core subscribers, those who pay full whack (like me currently), and those who get it free or stacked on the £1 deal. It's an impressive number, but at the same time it is very limited growth and below the projections that came out of the ABK merger papers. If everyone was paying full price, it would generate a handsome income of around $4b a year, but I doubt that's the case currently.

Big difference between turnover and profit though and when you then start to factor in the cost of developing games for the platform - Starfield reportedly cost between $300-400m, and Spiderman 2 (for comparison) was around $300m - you can launch 12-13 similar games a year to break even on those titles. Game Pass, however, has hundreds of games available from multiple publishers, all of which will be licensed at a cost to the platform. Plus there's the actual costs of running all the severs, etc.

I'm sure people will see the number 34m and rightly go 'wow', but it doesn't surprise me that MS have aimed for 100m subscribers over time, as that must surely be when it starts to make financial sense. Either that, or the number of big first-party titles going on to the platform needs to be kept much lower, which they've distanced themselves from, by saying all their big releases are coming to Game Pass.
  • Yeah. Microsoft can bank roll a decently long growth period with little or even no profit if the growth is tracking to where they want to be.
    100mil subs would make them a massive platform that not only can pay for the AAA exclusive day one games but also have clout to lean on publishers and even the other platforms. Plus start easing on the amazing deals as people are caught up in the ecosystem.

When they said 36% growth last night I thought fair play, that would surely appease the decision makers and they are on track. If that growth though is just recategorising lower tier subs, as you say, it's not really the same thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You know what got lost in all this game back and forth?

Big Phil saying the next gen is going to be the biggest generational jump ever.

Given these consoles are Pcs nowadays, and watching what they do, I'd be fascinated to know what this is, bigger than 2D to 3D? Do it big man.
  • Unless he's pulling some infinite power of the cloud shenanigans.
  • There is only one Big Phil and it ain't Spencer.
  • Phil Heath I assume.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    AI maan!
  • There is only one Big Phil and it ain't Spencer.

Didn't know you were a Scolari mark.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    You know what got lost in all this game back and forth?

Big Phil saying the next gen is going to be the biggest generational jump ever.

Given these consoles are Pcs nowadays, and watching what they do, I'd be fascinated to know what this is, bigger than 2D to 3D? Do it big man.

I clocked that too but it's just what they say every generation innit? Remember when SSDs were going to revolutionize gaming?

The hardware at the end of this year can go in the bin too. Dunno what it is but mid gen upgrade, handheld, VR headset aren't what I'm after.

Work with Valve to stick a proper PC Game Pass app on the Steam Deck and I'll be happy
  • I found that "biggest leap" thing quite Trumpian. Just rang hollow. I'm sure in some way it will be the biggest leap but what that means who knows. Most GB of ram added big whoop.
    It's not going to match 2D to 3D.

My concern is that the whole industry is crying out that they can't get games done, budgets have gone nuts. What is this power leap going to do to help that situation?
    Probably should be talking intelligent design rather than power arms race.
  • I give it six months, tops, before one of the console companies is banging on about the AI capabilities of its next-gen machine and how that reduces the need for dev time, or artists, or something.
  • Plot twist: It won’t even be actual AI, just a different name for procedural tile generation and shit.
  • Sharpness filters.
    3D scan your eyes
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    AI is going to be that short to medium term answer to intelligent design and reducing budgets. People don’t want it, or say they don’t, but it will become part of game dev as it is across all other creative industries.

As for the leap I actually do hope it’s some ridiculously amazing handheld that is as powerful or more than the Series X. Full GamePass on the go, slap your proprietary memory storage in it, then get home and pop that same card into the back of the Series X and carry on.
  • Xbox always like to leave wee easter eggs on the chipsets these days.

On the die for the new main processor "this ones for you Timdog"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    If Moore’s Law is declining, won’t the biggest generational leap ever end up making the console cost like £1000? I’m not really seeing it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!