Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    To be honest, I don't agree with my comments about the driving now I've done some more driving missions. It is pretty solid and responsive.

Love the way that when you aim with a gun whilst driving it slows time down. Makes it maybe a little too easy, but alot more exciting and cinematic.

I've still not really progressed that far in the story. I keep finding people that need favours doing, and getting into brawls over lockboxes. If you see a red enemy icon on the minimap, there's usually one nearby.

[6] my arse, it's fantastic.

• It'd better be!

Installing now, might just potter around on minecraft with bit of TV & the footy scores on the internet for background for now and then give this a proper go tonight.
  • so everyone a console player for this then?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So I'm having a drive about looking for lock boxes between missions and I get into a brawl with around 6 guys. The first couple I simply throw into dumsters and after a scuffle with the others there's one guy left. By this time the fight has moved over to near my car so I grab the remaining guy, slam his face into my boot and then open it and lock him inside.

For the next half an hour or so I drive about, find a few more boxes and health shrines and buy some health and melee buffs. I then realise there's a muffled cry and banging from the back of my car. Turns out the guy is still in there, I'd forgotten about him. So I drove to a high bridge, dragged him out, kicked him in the balls, and threw him over some railings into the harbour.

Anyone else realised that some cars have tire irons in the back that you can use as a weapon? And if it's raining you can disarm a civilian that is using an umbrella and use that as a weapon.

Love this, it just gets better. I might even be enjoying it more that GTA IV.
  • I did a side-mission last night that involved smashing up a race car, so it instructed me at that point to take the tire-iron out of the boot to wreck it, and I took it out of the wrong car - which made me reaslise they're everywhere rather than that being mission specific.

Got into a boat yesterday and In The City by The Jam came on the radio, steered the boat to a floating cockfight and lost 20 grand (more than half my money).

Did a police mission which basing involved machine gunning pursuing cars and bikes to potect the driver, lovely effect when you shoot someone's tires out.

This is already way more fun than GTAIV for me, would recommend it to anyone who loved the likes of Vice City but found IV tedious.

And yeah, the combat's great, comparisons to Batman are valid, personally I'm finding the counter system and environmental finishers far more entertaining. Got to love slicing someone's face off usng the fan on an air-con unit.
  • It doesn't have that initial wow factor that GTAIV had, but it's much more concerned with providing regular blasts of fun. It seems like there's always something to do and it all helps towards moving the game onwards. The knock off Hong Kong action pic story is there, and it's quite well done, but it's not the priority.

The undercover cop thing works pretty well, which is odd, because it's one of the things I remember hating about the earlier versions. The murderous rampages in them made no sense at all, sticking mainly to brawling helps it a lot and the RPG elements are a nice reminder that you're supposed to be a cop as you run about doing gangster stuff to rank up.
  • In The City?! I'm in.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    The undercover cop thing works pretty well, which is odd, because it's one of the things I remember hating about the earlier versions. The murderous rampages in them made no sense at all, sticking mainly to brawling helps it a lot and the RPG elements are a nice reminder that you're supposed to be a cop as you run about doing gangster stuff to rank up.

I do find myself trying to minimise the property damage and civilian injuries, especially if I'm close to ranking the up as a cop. It's a neat touch and makes a change from tearing about the city running countless pedestrians over and not giving a fuck.

• Well, Frantic's just made sure I'll buy this... Laughed at the guy in the boot scenario.

That's what I love about this forum - you get a much better sense of games from how people wax lyrical, or nitpick about games. Nick's love of Dragon's Dogma made me get a game I probably would have avoided - turns out it's a lot of fun. Reg evangelizing SR3 made it one of the best buys of the last 12 months.

Keep it up guys - I can't remember the last time I bothered reading a 'proper' review. :-)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Genuine surprise when I realised he was still in there, and that I could remove him. I thought it was just a finishing move and he would have vanished! Turns out you can grab anyone and ram them into the boot.....
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyone have the PC version? Would love to see a screenshot of that prettiness.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    So I'm having a drive about looking for lock boxes between missions and I get into a brawl with around 6 guys. The first couple I simply throw into dumsters and after a scuffle with the others there's one guy left. By this time the fight has moved over to near my car so I grab the remaining guy, slam his face into my boot and then open it and lock him inside. For the next half an hour or so I drive about, find a few more boxes and health shrines and buy some health and melee buffs. I then realise there's a muffled cry and banging from the back of my car. Turns out the guy is still in there, I'd forgotten about him. So I drove to a high bridge, dragged him out, kicked him in the balls, and threw him over some railings into the harbour. Anyone else realised that some cars have tire irons in the back that you can use as a weapon? And if it's raining you can disarm a civilian that is using an umbrella and use that as a weapon. Love this, it just gets better. I might even be enjoying it more that GTA IV.

That's a beautiful story, Frantic.  Very touching.  I have a week off next week and I can see me getting this sooner rather later.  The perfect excuse to avoid all that gardening.
    Get schwifty.
  • Any thoughts on whether this should be a PS3 purchase, 360, or is it one where it doesn't matter?
  • Digital Foundry Says 360

I hope this is a hit so that Rockstar take note. It makes an incredible difference to the bigger missions when you're able to make your character do what you want in hand to hand fights and shoot-outs.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Digital Foundry Says 360

I hope this is a hit so that Rockstar take note. It makes an incredible difference to the bigger missions when you're able to make your character do what you want in hand to hand fights and shoot-outs.

This. The big missions are exactly that. Memorable, varied and explosive. Some of the side missions are pretty neat as well.

The combat gets better and better as you progress, I'm dishing out some brutal moves now.

Edit: Oh, and how good is it to be driving on the right side of the road?!
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Clockwise, starring John Cleese, is 96 minutes of hilarity based on that poor choice of words.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Anyone have the PC version? Would love to see a screenshot of that prettiness.

I do.  Will post a pic when I get a chance.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    Clockwise, starring John Cleese, is 96 minutes of hilarity based on that poor choice of words.

Hehe.
  • I_R wrote:
    Digital Foundry Says 360

Not that one store would be the yardstick but Bradford Gamestation was cleaned out of 360 copies and down to their last few PS3. Whether they had much stock in to begin I don't know, but it was quite well advertised in store, couldn't be missed at the till. The timing is pretty much perfect, a summer drought and indifferent weather could work well in its favour.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    So I'm having a drive about looking for lock boxes between missions and I get into a brawl with around 6 guys. The first couple I simply throw into dumsters and after a scuffle with the others there's one guy left. By this time the fight has moved over to near my car so I grab the remaining guy, slam his face into my boot and then open it and lock him inside. For the next half an hour or so I drive about, find a few more boxes and health shrines and buy some health and melee buffs. I then realise there's a muffled cry and banging from the back of my car. Turns out the guy is still in there, I'd forgotten about him. So I drove to a high bridge, dragged him out, kicked him in the balls, and threw him over some railings into the harbour. Anyone else realised that some cars have tire irons in the back that you can use as a weapon? And if it's raining you can disarm a civilian that is using an umbrella and use that as a weapon. Love this, it just gets better. I might even be enjoying it more that GTA IV.
    It's proving hard to resist waiting for a price drop now...
  • I'm playing it, it is delightfully mindless and looks quite pretty at times. Love this as a city over a grey NYC.

The melee is much better than GTA, not as good as Yakuza maybe, but the game is supposed to be easy and is: it satisfies. I want to unlock every move in his hand to hand asap, to make sure I have enough ways to duff people up that it stays interesting.
  • I was grabbing a few things at Tesco this morning, after work, and I couldn't resist.  It sucks that I'm going to have to go to bed instead of playing for a while.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    I'm playing it, it is delightfully mindless and looks quite pretty at times. Love this as a city over a grey NYC. The melee is much better than GTA, not as good as Yakuza maybe, but the game is supposed to be easy and is: it satisfies. I want to unlock every move in his hand to hand asap, to make sure I have enough ways to duff people up that it stays interesting.

The majority of the jade statues can only be acquired as you progress through the story. It works well though, drip feeding you new stuff to master as it throws more enemies at you to deal with.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've collected all the health shrines now, and 75% of the lock boxes. It's actually a fun distraction, and the fact you have to fight for a lot of the boxes stops it from being a chore. Quite a few of them even require a bit of free running and platforming, and a bit of puzzle solving as to how you reach them.
  • There's one statue that I've found that I can't get to, it's inside a glass window. There are a few that I've found inside accessible buildings that I've visited later as part of a story mission.

I did wonder if people more used to fighting games might find it too easy, it's just about right for me, but I'm pretty terrible at anything involving combo's and quick reactions.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The grapplers make it trickier imo. But yeh, any harder and I think it would just be a chore. I like feeling badass.
  • Cool, sounds like the beat-em-upgrades will start flowing.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    There's one statue that I've found that I can't get to, it's inside a glass window.

Is it more a skylight than a window?  If so, there are later missions that allow access.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    [6] my arse, it's fantastic.
    I wonder why so many more EDGE scores are wide of the mark for me than they used to be?

I believe that scores can be slanted if you have a lot of games to play and of these you haven't actually paid for any of them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!